Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Model Discussion for April

Quincy

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt it was your desire to disparage in a backhanded way the main page but that's how your quoted post comes off to me. Many people propose "out of the box" ideas on the main page. The only difference is that the discussion is more civil vs the regional threads. We act like a boys club here and as you know I've expressed my displeasure with the locker room stuff constantly put out by some but I realize that I'm obviously in the minority so I mostly keep quiet about it.

There's no doubt we have some smart mets here and that in turn makes many of us more knowledgeable.

meh thankfully it's spring and not to disparage you Jerry but c'mon man you can't complain about locker room stuff out of one side of your mouth and talk about dumps the runs and coed hotties out of the other side. The threads when it counted were great when it was down time it's not all serious. But again you don't see the complaints when it's a 979 bearing down on us. Meh

you are kidding me right. 95% of the Winter we had a better idea of what to expect than anyone in the public because of the great discussions,reviews and understanding of the weather. The agenda line is old untrue and continues to be pushed. I am very well versed in the weather but this is absolutely my first stop to check when looking ahead. Like Scooter said this is a discussion board populated by pros, hobbyists and people with a love for all that is weather. Not Joe blows personal forecast board.

There is no doubt that this forum gives better wx info than could be found just about anywhere else for a non met!! This dude cannot possibly be serious!

The discussion and info here is second to none. Very skilled mets take time to give thoughtful analysis on almost every weather event that could impact the Northeast. We also have many amateurs who know there stuff, and add great discussion.

I think people are exaggerating here. The banter is mainly kept in proper threads. If its not 100% of the time, so what? We are human, without some humor and fun interaction this place wouldn't be what it is.

Nothing short of hiring a full time meteorologist for your specific backyard will give you more information then this forum provides

excellent post, couldnt agree more

The discussion and info here is second to none. Very skilled mets take time to give thoughtful analysis on almost every weather event that could impact the Northeast. We also have many amateurs who know there stuff, and add great discussion.

I think people are exaggerating here. The banter is mainly kept in proper threads. If its not 100% of the time, so what? We are human, without some humor and fun interaction this place wouldn't be what it is.

Nothing short of hiring a full time meteorologist for your specific backyard will give you more information then this forum provides

spot on

Great post young man

Cool weather protracted pre-verification trophy foisting ftl - wow. 

Not sure what that is based upon but I could take the Euro point to point and ..hour to hour, and show 70 F afternoon chances, right out through the end of D9, and there are no BD fronts anywhere on that run, either.  As a result of more west -east, as opposed to meridional flow inducing confluence and polar highs N, back-side return/off-shore flow cycling looks seasonal (in shallow post cfropas) to above normal in typical spring-type warm sectors, the entire run..  Will it happen exactly that way...heh, we'll see.  But even that ferckockta GGEM POS model ...with its seemingly parameterized gray-matter convulsion bias, manages to park a high SSE of NE, with off-shore warmth in full sun on two distinct afternoons through D7.  These return flow scenarios in these runs are toting +3 to +8 C 850mbs, and are decently well mixed in full sun.  Heat? No, of course not... but spring warmth at or just above 70 is not a stretch at all. 

Yet, the GFS... with its usual abominable N-stream bullying is just unrelenting and won't give way to a seasonal change at least excuse imaginable. I just wonder if those that want, more than analyze, to keep the onset of warm seasonal change at bay, "get to" sound off because the GFS is merely exercising that typical bias.   Not sure what else motivates here.    

But we'll see.  If I'm forecasting at larger scales than specific geographical studies, looks like a remarkably large diurnal recovery day on Sunday for much of New England.  Morning readings should easily be at or less than freezing over large areas, with typically favored locales perhaps fairly deeply less than freezing...  That's thanks to west -east moving high, S of our latitude, allowing for a few hours of awesome rad cooling in a dry air, before there is vegetation to offer hygroscopic recovery.  But said high merrily moves on by and by Sunday evening, it's +4 and gaining at 850 mb, after an afternoon where hot April sun shown fully and unabated through said establishing WSW boundary layer flow.  Late high that day as it's been coined...  Troposphere would support 70 by days end, but I don't think it gets that way before the curtain of night puts an end to recovery.  Imagine going 28 to 66 though - not bad. 

Sunday night stays above seasonal norms with that established return flow and continued warm flux out of the TV right up and around the transient eastern ridge... Then Monday is a slam dunk for 70 + weather.  Deeply established warm sector with lower RH at dawn, and it's up up and away as soon as the corpuscular rays of morning kiss the eastern horizon.  High launch pad relative to season... 

Lower confidence but mid week looks to me to be a more proper west -east propagating frontal structure.  The backside of witch totes along modified Pac polar as opposed to tapping into previous -EPO cold loading.  In other words, seasonal... In fact, with decent katabatic flow and 850's not absurdly cool at all, could offer spectacular spring weather.  

Obviously I'm using the Euro primarily here for this/these set ups, but I agree with NCEP, "...THE ECMWF AND ECENS MEAN SAT COMFORTABLY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GLOBAL NUMERICAL GUIDANCE FOR THE 12Z/09 AND 18Z/09 MODEL CYCLES AT THE MEDIUM RANGE. THE ECMWF WAS CLOSE ENOUGH TO ITS ATTENDANT MEAN TO BE ABLE TO BLEND IN LIBERAL MEASURE THIS FORECAST PACKAGE--PARTICULARLY EARLY IN THE PERIOD..."

That shallower, more seasonal cool down (compared to CAA events spanning the last couple of months) then moves by, and transitions the area of the OV/MA/NE right back into a similar set up as Monday.  Again, ..thanks in part to more longitudinal flow characteristic compared to meridional flow bias we are pretty clearly transitioning away from. 

May have to watch for cut-offs in the crystal ball ranges... 

What is showing that setup with all 50's?

We have a low approaching from the south and a high moving into Nova Scotia near the end of the week...that's a setup that could not only produce 50s...but 40s if we got into the cloud cover/precip.

Euro is most optimistic on keeping us out of it....until the weekend.

We'll see, maybe we can run the whole work week, but there's definitely caution flags for the end of the week. It is spring and the models won't handle any fo that stuff very well until we are closer. So I'd only have confidence for nice wx early in the week.

Ugh. Time to check out of the model and obs thread.

Yeah I'm def not gonna spend as much time as usual this warm season in the wx threads. I've been doing more outdoor stuff the last year or two and my golf game is recovering because of it too, lol.

Debating whether 78F will be the high versus 73F and if we are talking about BDL or ORH or BOS and if 61F dewpoint is muggy but 58F is not will become mind-numbing after about 3 exchanges.

Hopefully we get a decent severe setup for two that is worth discussing...otherwise, sports forum and outdoors. :lol:

I honestly can't battle Kevin anymore from his summer hype.

I enjoy summer less and less as I get older. Probably sounds like a miserable comment, but unless it's 80/50..:.no thanks.

With this year's likely -EPO, you might be in luck for a repeat of last summer's cool days and low humidity. (although with kids, you do spend alot of time in the pool, so that's always something to do on those brutal days)  On point 1 I hear you-gets pretty old after awhile. 

I honestly can't battle Kevin anymore from his summer hype.

I enjoy summer less and less as I get older. Probably sounds like a miserable comment, but unless it's 80/50..:.no thanks.

Why do you have to make everything a battle? It's about having fun and enjoying different seasons. You aren't a fan of summer wx.. So that's why I said why don't you step away from the board entirely for the next couple months, and come back when the wx you like is back. You've always felt the need to start battles with people over their ideas or interpretations of the wx. Just let it and them go. Come back in September

I like the HHH. Something my area excells at. Increases the odds of severe. Bring it on!!!

you should head down to VA and NC...I lived down there as a kid and we had that (HHH) from Memorial day on...every day there was a chance of a big boomer or tornado, just needed the right trigger...

Certainly seems like a nice 7-10 days . You can envision long sleeved shirts with shorts in the mornings and shorts and tees with red napes each afternoon next week and beyond

Matt Noyes ‏@MattNoyesNECN  2h

The spring switch gets flipped on today. Temps in the 30s this AM, 40s midday, 50s evening. Then, off to the races thru next week - 60°+!

Excuse the artistry... but using the current surface analysis/map provided by the NWS, Taunton's web site, this appears to be close to the current position of the warm front. 

I'm only elucidating/annotating here because there has been some speculation/discussion regarding whether to belay it's arrival ...such that the models have been insisting that it throughout the course of the day ...it will succeed even out latitudes here in SNE.  As you can see, it's ways off just yet....  

post-904-0-66981000-1428678784_thumb.jpg

What I am noticing the models are doing, though, is not really definitively identifying the warm front out in time. It's really more shallowing out the cool "tucked" air mass along and E of the cordillera, until the warm boundary diffuses and the region just ends up warm sectored by night fall. 

I agree that it's a likely a dirty warm sector at that time.  Less in the MA, ...more N of course.  One thing folks should note (black-circled obs...) is that the wind, albeit light, is veered around to S/SE direction.  That's an indication of lessening boundary layer resistance; the air mass is actually fluidly leaving these tucked region. This would assist warm translation up the coast in time.

Why do you have to make everything a battle? It's about having fun and enjoying different seasons. You aren't a fan of summer wx.. So that's why I said why don't you step away from the board entirely for the next couple months, and come back when the wx you like is back. You've always felt the need to start battles with people over their ideas or interpretations of the wx. Just let it and them go. Come back in September

Well your relentless spin during the warm season on 3 degrees of dewpoint or BDL hitting 90 vs 88 makes your winter spin look like a discussion with Paul Kocin.

It's understandable. You decided to transform your posting style that way in summer of 2008...just don't expect us to like it.

Archived