• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-2016 speculation and discussion

AlaskaETC

As always, good stuff Bob. I will be floored if we go above normal 3 years in a row though.

We haven't even had a chance to do it since the late 80's. It would be fitting to have back to back flukes work out and then a favorable Enso to disappoint. lol. 

The majority of the mod+ and strong Nino events in the past that have exceeded climo had one thing in common. December (or Nov in 87) produced more than a mangled trace (65-66 and 86-87 being the exceptions). If we blank out in Dec then it's probably not going to come easy.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We haven't even had a chance to do it since the late 80's. It would be fitting to have back to back flukes work out and then a favorable Enso to disappoint. lol. 

The majority of the mod+ and strong Nino events in the past that have exceeded climo had one thing in common. December (or Nov in 87) produced more than a mangled trace (65-66 and 86-87 being the exceptions). If we blank out in Dec then it's probably not going to come easy.  

but, surprisingly, those winters were pretty darn good

as I think about it, 86/87 was a reversed, younger brother to 09/10, with the double whammy coming before the solo event

My folks live in Collegeville. Love that Pizza place there. I think its called Pizza Stop?

As always, good stuff Bob. I will be floored if we go above normal 3 years in a row though.

Pretty sure we already have.  I'd have to check my numbers, but I think I was at 33-34 inches in 2012-13, and it was the lowest of the past 3.  I don't see any way that Winchester is above 33" for a normal.

When it says not as brutal, does that mean we see enough winter where we don't feel the need to pull out the nooses and chairs by January?

Hopefully.. That map is pretty dumb overall. 

New Euro monthlies are warm thru Jan .. then near normal in Feb then warm again.

Wet throughout. 

How is the aleutian low placement each month? Far enough west to pump up heights along the west coast of NA?

AN is fine temp wise if strong pac flow into NW canada isn't the main reason. 

How is the aleutian low placement each month? Far enough west to pump up heights along the west coast of NA?

AN is fine temp wise if strong pac flow into NW canada isn't the main reason. 

yQPqfxx.gif

how warm, if you can tell?

I think last month's were a little above normal as well

It was tho I think this one is a bit warmer for Jan than prior but I can't completely recall now. 

+1-2 Nov
+2-3 Dec
+1 Jan
Near normal Feb
Near normal to +1 Mar
+2 Apr

For a broad brush seasonal that looks totally fine. Even Dec. Might be warm on the means but a pac zonal furnace it is not. 

I have a recurring hunch that Dec is going to end up the opposite (or at least quite different) than what everyone is expecting. 

So you're calling for Snowpocalypse II? 

I'm still holding out hope for Vets Day II myself. 

Archived