Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA and the fringes - Spring

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sun's been fighting the clouds for most of the day so far. Would really just love for the ice to be melted off the driveway, it's been there for a good month now.

I just want to totally lose the snowpack...all of it. I'm beyond tired of looking at it.

Just came in to see what the Euro had to say and I gotta tell ya, its like theres a pact to talk about the warmth in every post.  Not sure why guys?  Like some said, its March...not May.  You really need to get over it and just deal with it already.

Dont get me wrong, nice doing projects outside today, but just gotta say wow to some.  and to go into other forums to "spread the warmth" talk.  Is it the power in numbers or what?  It is what it is. Please just deal and talk about the weather.

rant over.

Pretty awesome weather today with mostly sunny skies and temperatures in the mid 40s here. Considering 850 mb temperatures were around -7C this morning, it appears we are mixing up to 850, regardless of the residual snow pack.

It does appear as if there will be another significant spike in the PNA ridge over western North America around day 10 or so. That feature was apparent on today's 12z Euro as well as the 12z GEFS/GFS operational run. The GFS also seems to be more aggressive with the cold air in the eastern US as it develops more of a North Atlantic blocking signal than the Euro depiction.

Here is the GEFS forecast of the AO; you can see it shows a dramatic tumble from +5 SD to just below neutral. Even so, we probably won't see any prolonged cold anomalies rivalling last month given the increased geopotential variability in the Gulf of Alaska.

post-869-0-85358900-1425845897_thumb.gif

Also, the GFS has been indicating the potential for a snow->rain event for parts of central PA around day 6-7. The 12z Euro still seems to be too warm for most of PA.

Just came in to see what the Euro had to say and I gotta tell ya, its like theres a pact to talk about the warmth in every post.  Not sure why guys?  Like some said, its March...not May.  You really need to get over it and just deal with it already.

Dont get me wrong, nice doing projects outside today, but just gotta say wow to some.  and to go into other forums to "spread the warmth" talk.  Is it the power in numbers or what?  It is what it is. Please just deal and talk about the weather.

rant over.

Ya know, if it weren't for the RELENTLESSNESS of the cold this winter, I, and a lot of others, probably wouldn't be so vocal. Give me a winter with a few above normal periods to offset the cold, and I'm ok with it all.

rant over.

It is nice to get a little break from the relentless cold but I dont want it to get to warm.  Bulbs will start poppin up and tree buds start coming out then we get brutal cold and its all ruined.  Spring is a few weeks off.  Its still winter and im sure we're gonna see some cold temps again and definitely some snow. Lets not rush things. Let nature takes its correct course

Just got back to Millersville from the conference this weekend. It was great to see all the big names in the meteorology industry and how many great stories and important information they were willing to share. Paul Kocin's morning seminar was hilarious and extremely entertaining.

As far as my drive back, we had light snow when we left and 30 degrees. We ran into snow showers and a squall on I88 through the mountains in the Mid Hudson valley. Then from Scranton to Harrisburg, temp was between 44-50 degrees finishing with a beautiful sunset in the Lancaster area. Was a great trip, but I'm exhausted. Quick turnaround to get on a flight to Florida tomorrow. Let the good times roll!

Just got back to Millersville from the conference this weekend. It was great to see all the big names in the meteorology industry and how many great stories and important information they were willing to share. Paul Kocin's morning seminar was hilarious and extremely entertaining.

As far as my drive back, we had light snow when we left and 30 degrees. We ran into snow showers and a squall on I88 through the mountains in the Mid Hudson valley. Then from Scranton to Harrisburg, temp was between 44-50 degrees finishing with a beautiful sunset in the Lancaster area. Was a great trip, but I'm exhausted. Quick turnaround to get on a flight to Florida tomorrow. Let the good times roll!

Yeah that's a pretty good conference; I went three times as an undergrad and Paul Kocin was the keynote speaker one year.

Yeah that's a pretty good conference; I went three times as an undergrad and Paul Kocin was the keynote speaker one year.

That's awesome. Louis Uccelini was the keynote this year and he didn't disappoint. I got my Northeast storms books signed by both and I had a great 15 minute conversation with Paul Kocin. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience this year. I went last year as well, but this year I connected more with the bigger names that were present. Great experience

Amazing cold. That shatters a 127 year old record! Have to wonder if this is like a 150 to 200 year temperature anomaly. Would be interested to see if there are any other earlier historical references to comparable cold in the 1700s. Question is now that we have won in the couple hundred year cold department, let's see if we can score a 100 year storm.

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/weather1.pdf

There are some good notes in this document of the severe cold in the 1700s and 1800s that sound like they would have beaten 2015.  Always enjoy reading references to Hudson being so frozen people walked across it, etc.  Winter of 1864 has some really good stuff with brutal cold.

MDT hit 50 degrees at noon, which is the first time reaching the 50 degree mark in 2015.  2nd latest occurrence to start a calendar year in the 127 year record.  Record is March 10th.

What Tom Said above, he';s be gone for at least a year from the Forum. I think he got sick of people complaining. Like Tom, i'm friends with him on FB. 

Sauss still gotta throw the invite out there if you're open any Friday aftn. coming up I'd love to grab a beer or somthing, I'll be down your way for races of Fridays.

Sauss still gotta throw the invite out there if you're open any Friday aftn. coming up I'd love to grab a beer or somthing, I'll be down your way for races of Fridays.

Yeah that would be cool. I know in the past someone tried to get a gtg...I'm not much of a racing fan, but i am a fan of cold beer 

Archived