Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
3/4-5/2015 Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Moderate snow in Port Jeff Station. Looks like one more good band converging on us.

Very Marquettish winter here in Port Jeff...with the Sound playing L. Superior...that snowpack disappearance date of 25 March for out here that I floated not looking quite so bad...might even have to push it back a few days.

Central Park measurement is a bit high, 6.3 is what I got but it makes up for all the low ones

If it's measured correctly, than I could see 7.0 being correct at 4pm. If you clear and measure (on a board) or using a cold surface than you take away any settling affect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Pamela

Lol Pamela

I mean Tim the Kennedy Airport is not in the best spot...but even years ago...when I started watching weather around here...I remember calling it a "loser station".  Juvenile, but exactly the thought that comes to mind.

Now Norfolk, CT...that's a winner for ya'

Guest Pamela

Pamela,

You might need a refresher in the complex art of measuring snow. Fortunately, the experts will be providing an almost once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. These experts can teach anyone how to avoid a snow inflation problem. ;)

Measuring_Snow.jpg

In the meantime, light snow continues to fall in southern Westchester County.

Sign me up Don...as long as they agree to waive the registration fee...I'm a rather parsimonious soul.

15-30 minutes of snow silence and then one last surprise inbound courtsey of eastern PA ( looks to be intensifying as it heads towards the city) & then we are done. 9 inches in many locations maybe doable & some will squeeze out the magic 10 inch mark. When you celeberate remind yourself noto jump off a bridge when the NAM goes south the next time !

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=DIX-N0Q-1-12

Awesome guys enjoy a very manageable pretty snowfall it could be my last, wow easy to measure that's for sure.Going to the sunny southern weather i'll have to pay more attention to tropical weather.Going to the southeastern forum weird leaving for the darkside LOL.see ya

Awesome guys enjoy a very manageable pretty snowfall it could be my last, wow easy to measure that's for sure.Going to the sunny southern weather i'll have to pay more attention to tropical weather.Going to the southeastern forum weird leaving for the darkside LOL.see ya

I moved to Texas. We deal.

Guest Pamela

I mean Tim the Kennedy Airport is not in the best spot...but even years ago...when I started watching weather around here...I remember calling it a "loser station".  Juvenile, but exactly the thought that comes to mind.

Now Norfolk, CT...that's a winner for ya'

Not to belabor the point...but the climate report says they have one inch of snow on the ground.  Now I did learn something this winter...that those climate reports are based on the 7 AM measurement...and obviously not reflective of the snow that fell today...but its still borderline amazing when many parts of the same Island they are on had around 15 inches of snow on the ground this morning...with really very little difference when it comes to altitude or latitude.  Really demonstrates that forecasting winter weather for this entire CWA is an amazingly difficult task.

Some may say no big deal...but for those who are very much intrigued by the concept of the microclimate...it is discrepancies such as these which are our raison d'etre. 

Archived