SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/4-5/2015 Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sun had ZERO effect today . One only has to drive around the 5 boroughs LI  CNJ and see snow covered primaries highways and sidewalks .

NYC is filled with subway tunnels , sub basements emitting heat through it sidewalks so even in Jan you will find snow hard to accumulate on 5th ave in NYC when snow lets up . Which means its not the SUN but the traffic and the heat that emits from a warm island .

The sun had ZERO effect today . One only has to drive around the 5 boroughs LI CNJ and see snow covered primaries highways and sidewalks .

NYC is filled with subway tunnels , sub basements emitting heat through it sidewalks so even in Jan you will find snow hard to accumulate on 5th ave in NYC when snow lets up . Which means its not the SUN but the traffic and the heat that emits from a warm island .

The sun angle arguments are for light snow and when temps are marginal and later in the month. I've seen heavy snow accumulate easily in early April with temps of 33. Of course it was gone hours after it stopped.

The sun had ZERO effect today . One only has to drive around the 5 boroughs LI  CNJ and see snow covered primaries highways and sidewalks .

I don't want to get into a protracted argument in an obs thread, but there is no way you can say that definitively (for if anything, you don't have any control with which to compare).  When the intensity here was light (and it was for probably about a total of 1 hr), the sun by definition would have had an effect.

I don't want to get into a protracted argument in an obs thread, but there is no way you can say that definitively (for if anything, you don't have any control with which to compare).  When the intensity here was light (and it was for probably about a total of 1 hr), the sun by definition would have had an effect.

Even in Jan you will find snow hard to accumulate on 5th ave in NYC when snow lets up.

It is a warm island .

The sun is the same all around the tri state area - I promise you  I drove in and out of work today , ALL the roads outside the city that  were not plowed had snow on them .

the temps kept falling throughout the day from this morning i think would mitigate any sun effect..

Even in Jan you will find snow hard to accumulate on 5th ave in NYC when snow lets up.

It is a warm island .

The sun is the same all around the tri state area - I promise you  I drove in and out of work today , ALL the roads outside the city that  were not plowed had snow on them .

That doesn't mean the sun didn't have an effect on accumulations when the snow was light.

We have seen 15 inches of snow in NJ in OCT and APRIL . Snow will accumulate when the air mass is cold enough .

Dude... read.  Then respond.  No one is claiming that the sun will PROHIBIT snow from accumulating, especially at higher rates.  It would be foolish to claim it has zero effect, however.  It's March.

You can have 10 billion different snowstorms coming at the area from every conceivable angle...and the Kennedy Airport will find a way to bring up the rear every single time.  It is amazing.

Pamela,

You might need a refresher in the complex art of measuring snow. Fortunately, the experts will be providing an almost once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. These experts can teach anyone how to avoid a snow inflation problem. ;)

Measuring_Snow.jpg

In the meantime, light snow continues to fall in southern Westchester County.

Sun angle probably helping somewhat to keep roads/sidewalks clear here in the city when the intensity has waned.  Obviously, there is a point where intensity > sun angle.  We've hit that from time to time today (including right now, sidewalks getting covered again, also the sun IS setting so..)

Chris I read this and its BULL$%^&* . You are conflating " sun angle " which is a stupid argument with a heat island effect .

You write this crap every year and then it snows in NYC and accumulates , So tell me Chris in Dec or Jan when " intensity wanes "

why will NYC streets not accumulate ?

Archived