joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/4 - 3/5 Post-Frontal Snow Chance

Capt. Adam

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want NYC to get 5" to break 40. It's no guarantee, but it's possible.

I'll take the over, but barely.  I think NJWinter is a bit pessimistic here but I'm not much higher - 4-7.

Regardless, as I have aged, I have realized that the difference between a 4" event and a 6" event is pretty negligible.  

Tough call for NYC and the northern suburbs-it all depends on when it goes to snow after the front clears by. My call yesterday was probably too bullish-I'd go with 4-6" in NYC and Long Island, 6" on the beaches, and up to 10" locally south of I-195. My call for 4" up to I-84 might not be too bad if the waves of precip stay there and the cold air arrives faster. 

Hey guys  the radar looks good for the area , the storm looks pissed off and coming right at us hey you never know lollipops could surprise some folks. The cold air is lurking just a matter of timing and hopefully the trend is our friend.I think a pat on the back for all that scientific reasoning LOL . see ya

Nws is spot on, 6"-10" is a good call here imo..

Here is the p&c forecast

• Rain before 10pm, then sleet between 10pm and midnight, then snow after midnight. Low around 23. Light and variable wind becoming northwest 5 to 10 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
  • ThursdaySnow. High near 27. North wind 11 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Here is also some text output from the 12Z Euro:

East Islip (close to Islip Airport that is actually in the town of Ronkonoma for geographical reference)

post-2882-0-17552200-1425495078_thumb.jp

KNYC TEXT

post-2882-0-35187300-1425495089_thumb.jp

STATEN ISLAND TEXT

post-2882-0-19796700-1425495105_thumb.jp

Looks like 6-8 on avg between these locales taken verbatim... Change over occurs sometime after 4am and before 7am from what I can tell...

I'll take the over, but barely.  I think NJWinter is a bit pessimistic here but I'm not much higher - 4-7.

Regardless, as I have aged, I have realized that the difference between a 4" event and a 6" event is pretty negligible.  

i'll give you that, I am a little pessimistic here, but it just feels like the setup where playing conservative is safer. My main worry is that we seem to be relying more and more on wave #1 up here for tonight, and we will be fighting temps that need to drop from the mid-40s...wave 2 we are battling a low level arctic cold/dry air feed, but if were gonna get help with ratios it will be from that part of the system. Accounting for my pessimism, I think a 3-6" call is perfect for NYC Metro

4.3 KNYC would be my call

I think it's going to snow again anyway after next week

I know. NYC has a shot tomorrow since 5" is doable. This would be the first 40" season in NYC with

a DJF positive AO for each month since 1950. We already broke the previous record of 24.5" in 92-93.

Guest Pamela

Storm is a carbon copy of the one on 1/11/84...right down to the 50 F afternoon that preceded it....a rain to snow event.  4.7" coop @ Westbury...locally 6 inches on the N. Shore. 

Now casting  and looking at the system she's a locomotive coming right at us , the ohio valley looks good precip shield  is sweet right about now. I don't know much about the models but the nam is usually pretty reliable in this time frame we shall see. P.S to much coffee see ya.

Guest Pamela

Well, they didn't have fancy computer graphics in those days...but I assure you...that's how it was.  On second glance...those old maps do not look incredibly far removed from what's going on.

Archived