• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Monthly daily cold record thread

Ginx snewx

I only have 30 years of records but this is shaping up to be my coldest month overall, not to mention February.  That includes some impressive months like January 1994 and December 1989.  My low of -17° the other day is latest I've had such a reading and when you consider that every other record of -15° or lower has been in January, except for one in 1987 but that was almost a week earlier.

Needless to say, I think this month has been a standout month!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never said any such thing. But I will challenge anyone to put cold and snow combination together to show a worse month

You're so easy to rile up.

I ran CON as well. Forecast puts them at 11.8 degrees for February, narrowly edging out 1934 (12.0) as the coldest February on record, but falls well short of the coldest month ever in sixth place behind 1977 (10.6), 1982, 1976, 1970, and 1994. Also just edges out December 1989 (11.9) for that 6th place month all time.

You're so easy to rile up.

I ran CON as well. Forecast puts them at 11.8 degrees for February, narrowly edging out 1934 (12.0) as the coldest February on record, but falls well short of the coldest month ever in sixth place behind 1977 (10.6), 1982, 1976, 1970, and 1994. Also just edges out December 1989 (11.9) for that 6th place month all time.

amazing when combined with snow totals, most epic cold is pretty dry

Pretty pissed the Davis reached 33.0 yesterday up at the cabin. It was the only day in February, and will likely be the only day in February the temperature was above freezing. Had I left taken lessons from the Rev where to place the sensor for minimum temp readings I wouldn't be whining. No doubt it stayed below freezing in the shade.

amazing when combined with snow totals, most epic cold is pretty dry

I will say in the last couple of years I've seen more snow with temps hovering around 0 than I ever thought possible. Our second largest storm at the office (9.1") came with temps of -4 or so at the beginning of this month. I think it was colder in the event at the beginning of January last year, but we thought that would be a once in a great while kind of storm. Oops.

Pretty pissed the Davis reached 33.0 yesterday up at the cabin. It was the only day in February, and will likely be the only day in February the temperature was above freezing. Had I left taken lessons from the Rev where to place the sensor for minimum temp readings I wouldn't be whining. No doubt it stayed below freezing in the shade.

That will be it too, the only positive departure day of the month at all GYX climate sites.

+1 too (torched to +3 at CON)

+1 departure for BOS yesterday.

And 15 full days below freezing which ended Saturday. Record (since '36) was 16.

34 days below 40 and counting; record is 38, should have no issue hitting that.

Beating Feb '34 probably out, but no other month has ever been below 20; this month certainly will be.

Glens falls record for Monday was -18, so yea -6 is pretty weak.

https://twitter.com/nwseastern/status/570243059260252160

The CLI states that the record period only goes back to 1949. A lot of those sites listed go back to the 1800s. Dulles only goes back to 1962 which explains why they shattered their record too. The DCA and BWI records are from 1873.

Jan 2004 still has the cold appeal to me. The days of single digit highs and 40mph winds can't be topped. I know this month was overall cold and not to downplay it, but man those days in January 04 were out of control. Some of it is just the sun this time of year. Apparent feel of 15f feels better than the same temp over a month ago.

Jan 2004 still has the cold appeal to me. The days of single digit highs and 40mph winds can't be topped. I know this month was overall cold and not to downplay it, but man those days in January 04 were out of control. Some of it is just the sun this time of year. Apparent feel of 15f feels better than the same temp over a month ago.

Dec 89 was to me, maybe because I was working outside all month but again like you said it was all about the wind.

BDL up to 16.0, but they should still be able to pull off the coldest month on record. It appears that it will be a narrow margin. They need to average at or below 21 degrees today and tomorrow. After going 36/4 and 24/14 the last two days, the mean has been creeping up. A good radiational cooling night tonight should seal the deal, even if they don't fall below 14 by midnight.

I assume there will be some cities that experience the coldest and snowiest month on record simultaneously?

That's quite amazing considering climo, February typically is not the coldest month, and it's the shortest <--- not as significant, but 3 less days doesn't help.

This has been an epic period we have been experiencing. 

Archived