• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow/ice storm disco Feb 21-22

Damage In Tolland

I just tried getting some snow off my parents roof. I hope they don't get a ton of rain.

I think we are looking at >0.5" of rain for SE MA.  That should be ok.  If we get upwards of 1", there will be issues.  That will add a lot of weight to already overloaded structures.  Plus it's not going anywhere.  Pack will absorb it and it's going to freeze.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's something like 6-8 inches of snow..quick period of sleet ends as zr and temps never top 32. Maybe the valley hits 34 or something..but with LI sound frozen over..you ain't pumping  temps near 40 with light sw flow and clouds

well thats what I mean, some sleet then freezing drizzle, temps might hit mid 30's when the sun comes out prior to yet another epic arctic Blast

I think it's something like 6-8 inches of snow..quick period of sleet ends as zr and temps never top 32. Maybe the valley hits 34 or something..but with LI sound frozen over..you ain't pumping temps near 40 with light sw flow and clouds

You are a lock to go above 32, but not by much. Nobody is going to steal your snow.

I think it's something like 6-8 inches of snow..quick period of sleet ends as zr and temps never top 32. Maybe the valley hits 34 or something..but with LI sound frozen over..you ain't pumping temps near 40 with light sw flow and clouds

I figured there were parts of the sound that had some ice, but I had no idea the sound was completely locked up. When's the last time that happened?

This is an advisory type event. I would be shocked to see warnings anywhere in SNE with the afternoon package. For most of us we need an average of 6" across a zone for a warning, 7" in NW CT, W MA, and S VT. So a forecast of 4-8" would be low end warning.

Warning IMO because even if accumulations are in the 4-6" range, there is the sleet & zr risk on top

Ryan showed a map that the RPM was showing rain as zr in the middle of the sound twds SW CT because it was falling on ice.

That was actually just showing how cold the water temperatures are that the hires ptype algorithms are gretting "tricked" into saying ZR over the Sound.

Anyway - GFS and NAM definitely still show some ZR/rain. Though 850 hpa stays cold there's certainly warming around 925 and in the boundary layer. With 45 knot southwesterlys at 925 a couple feet of snow on the ground will make no difference. 

That was actually just showing how cold the water temperatures are that the hires ptype algorithms are gretting "tricked" into saying ZR over the Sound.

Anyway - GFS and NAM definitely still show some ZR/rain. Though 850 hpa stays cold there's certainly warming around 925 and in the boundary layer. With 45 knot southwesterlys at 925 a couple feet of snow on the ground will make no difference. 

Keep preaching Ryan.

Archived