joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow/ice storm disco Feb 21-22

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are more likely in an advisory for the risk of icing and the uncertainty that a small shift would make. We probably won't even get an inch of snow/slush, but we're in an advisory.

I don't think this is a system depemdent on slight shifts here. All depends on how quickly the lower levels warm on a SSW wind. Maybe it moves in quickly, maybe the cold SSTs help. Who knows but it's not a good setup for us. I'm keeping expectations low. I think we have the max pack here for the season barring some additional snows over the next couple of weeks b/c we're going to get some good rains with temps around 40 for about 24 hrs.

I don't think this is a system depemdent on slight shifts here. All depends on how quickly the lower levels warm on a SSW wind. Maybe it moves in quickly, maybe the cold SSTs help. Who knows but it's not a good setup for us. I'm keeping expectations low. I think we have the max pack here for the season barring some additional snows over the next couple of weeks b/c we're going to get some good rains with temps around 40 for about 24 hrs.

Yes, you are quite right, it's more about tricky profiles... I'm certain we have seen the best of the winter here on the south coast. It's been a fun ride, but we are always the first to hop off. Be sad to see the erosion of an uncharacteristically stubborn pack, but am anticipating fog and rain eating a huge amount of snow away. Could be quite messy. I think the advisories at least here are more about that threat, some icing and flooding, and them wanting to put across how serious that could be unambiguously regardless of snow.

Yes, you are quite right, it's more about tricky profiles... I'm certain we have seen the best of the winter here on the south coast. It's been a fun ride, but we are always the first to hop off. Be sad to see the erosion of an uncharacteristically stubborn pack, but am anticipating fog and rain eating a huge amount of snow away. Could be quite messy. I think the advisories at least here are more about that threat, some icing and flooding, and them wanting to put across how serious that could be unambiguously regardless of snow.

I don't think it will be that bad. Some rain with temps under 40 isn't terrible.

Where you guys get a lot of rain from this it's going to an ice storm at like 34-35 with cold surface temps. Ice cold snow pack..all trees and roads frozen.= big trouble for y'all

My area will escape the heavier rain I think. That may be more south coast. I'm thinking maybe 2-4 right now. If the precip is sort of disorganized, 2". If it comes in like a heal;thy band near 00z..maybe 3-4." perhaps half inch of rain after, if that. 

I don't think it will be that bad. Some rain with temps under 40 isn't terrible.

I don't necessarily think just here we'll stay under 40, and I think we'll see mostly rain.  We'll have to see, this island seems to have its own microclimate.  You can see it with every storm that comes through, just a couple miles north of here on the island will consistently have more snow than me down on the southern end.  The water is unusually cold, I was shocked to see the extent of icing recently even at the mouth of the bay the other day, but I don' think that'll make a difference.  There's also fog in the forecast, which won't help.

I think the worst of the icing will be NW of here from what is being modeled.  I'd prefer ice to rain, but that's because I share the same disease that so many on this forum seem to.  I think there will be some street flooding.  This area doesn't have close to as deep a pack as other areas, including some expecting rain, but it also doesn't have the best record with flooding either in spots.

I don't understand why the RGEM has such a meso scale look to its snowfall map?

is this Shadowing? Never really see that snow accum pattern on maps before that it is showing in NY and CT, (MA screw Zone just East of ORH but accums go back up in NE mass)

The NW hills of CT are why the valley is shadowed. I don't know that that's the correct idea or not though

I don't necessarily think just here we'll stay under 40, and I think we'll see mostly rain.  We'll have to see, this island seems to have its own microclimate.  You can see it with every storm that comes through, just a couple miles north of here on the island will consistently have more snow than me down on the southern end.  The water is unusually cold, I was shocked to see the extent of icing recently even at the mouth of the bay the other day, but I don' think that'll make a difference.  There's also fog in the forecast, which won't help.

I think the worst of the icing will be NW of here from what is being modeled.  I'd prefer ice to rain, but that's because I share the same disease that so many on this forum seem to.  I think there will be some street flooding.  This area doesn't have close to as deep a pack as other areas, including some expecting rain, but it also doesn't have the best record with flooding either in spots.

Finally...someone is singing my tune!!  Other than Block Island and Nantucket Newport gets the least amount of snow in New England.  I've been following this since I was in third grade back in the late 1980s....Neon..How long have you lived in Newport? 

Finally...someone is singing my tune!!  Other than Block Island and Nantucket Newport gets the least amount of snow in New England.  I've been following this since I was in third grade back in the late 1980s....Neon..How long have you lived in Newport? 

I've only been living in Newport for 3 years and change.  

I grew up in upstate NY mostly, but for the 6 years before Newport, I was in Orange County CA for 6 years, so I can't complain too loudly about our weak winter weather, because that place bored me to tears.  And we do get some really amazing wind.

I've noticed the aquidneck island thing in storm after storm, especially since I drive up to Bristol all the time.  You can watch the banks grow as you go up east main road.  It doesn't seem to matter whether there's mixing, although thats more likely to happen down here too, but it's not just that.  Even in an all snow event, almost regardless of what kind of system it is, we get less.

Even in Ginx area is mostly fluff as you can see in his drifting video. If this stuff is wet tomorriw night with 24-30 OTG River east we may start having structural issues with the amount of snow on roofs

We don't really have ice or rain in it as well, but a couple of events had higher water content.

NAM ticks colder again.

Archived