• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow/ice storm disco Feb 21-22

Damage In Tolland

I may be totally wrong, but my gut sort of says snow to ice inland, rain on coast and then perhaps back to snow. I'm sort of feeling a track near SE MA. Again, just my gut right now.I also feel like this is one of those systems where the 32F line is closer to the actual storm track and not well NW like some models have. 

SE MA to Canal Probs

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kev, I do appreciate your enthusiasm...but every year there seems to be this delusion that deep snow pack and low level cold can overcome the large scale synoptics of a system and that rain is an impossibility. But unfortunately rain is inevitable, just need the right system. I do believe there will be some snow to ice early on...maybe even hanging on a little longer in the interior than models have it. But like I said in the model thread, gonna take some giant leaps in the guidance from the current track through PA and NY to keep this 100% frozen event even in the interior. Just be happy it will be a cold rain and will help glaciate the snowpack. 

It's all going to come down to the orientation of the flow around the SPV near in/off James Bay.  

With the NAO being positive throughout, there is room for west translation of this system, much to Kevin's chagrin. However, details in said flow construct could force a southern solution just the same. Namely, should the southeast region of the N-stream flow around that SPV remain more WSW, then confluence results and forces/shears the system S.  If that trough finds a way to orient more neutral, then less concfluence results and a west solution transpires...

The other thing is that ...perhaps counter-intuitive, despite the return flow around the high retreating E into the Atlantic being SW...it doesn't flow for very long before this system moves through.  Because, we start out deeply depressed beneath the 540dm medium.  It's not like a 534 dm thickness air mass, that's cold with a return flow, and the more typical race.  This is moving cold air over a glacier, with "true" warm air starting out way down south.  So it's kind of a rare ordeal where you might just sustain a colder profiled system on a SW wind a bit longer than typical.  

But then of course ... if the system stays south and cuts over or under our lat/lon, this all becomes more academic, because the start out air mass, combined with WAA getting pinched off, would mean warming to at best 32 S and probably like 27 N with ptype contentions going back to snow... similar, 06z GFS.  

It's a needle threader either way.  DET snow geese are trying to thread the needle; BOS snow geese (who are clearly bordering on psychosis for wishing/wanting on ANY more snow at this point... ) are also vying to thread the needle.  No clear favorite in that SB right now...

Kev, I do appreciate your enthusiasm...but every year there seems to be this delusion that deep snow pack and low level cold can overcome the large scale synoptics of a system and that rain is an impossibility. But unfortunately rain is inevitable, just need the right system. I do believe there will be some snow to ice early on...maybe even hanging on a little longer in the interior than models have it. But like I said in the model thread, gonna take some giant leaps in the guidance from the current track through PA and NY to keep this 100% frozen event even in the interior. Just be happy it will be a cold rain and will help glaciate the snowpack. 

There is a positive feedback, but it's like if there is a cold drain/ageostrophic set up, then yes, ...snow pack helps lock that in.  In that case the glacier protects its self, so to speak..

But your right ... no sooner does the deeper layer gradient turn around SW ... the snow can't wait to disappear... I've seen 60F DP advect down to the surface over a 30" snowpace/ snowbank, with a shrouded fog dance.  

I can't stand it, but there is nothing I can do about it, and I have no right to b*tch after what has transpired over the course of the last few weeks...especially considering how much the polar fields have failed us. 

We're so lucky.

Think of all those awful cutters in our best winter and what....we may get some rain with cold temps after 100" in two months? :lol: We certainly have been lucky. This seems like it will have snow at the onset too.

I saw someone mention yesterday, and I agree, that QPF will likely verify less than what is being modeled.

The dry slot will swing in here before you know it.

I think the majority of the damage to the pack will be incurred after the rains stops, and we hang above freezing with elevated due for perhaps up to 12 hrs, awaiting the retuurn of the arctic.

Think of all those awful cutters in our best winter and what....we may get some rain with cold temps after 100" in two months? :lol: We certainly have been lucky. This seems like it will have snow at the onset too.

Think of how brutal that '96 thaw was. 

We had to completely start over...and I mean completely; slate wiped painfully clean...

Archived