• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 20th-21st Winter Storm OBS/Discussion

LithiaWx

Damn! If it doesn't begin mixing or changing until 18z we are going to get a crap ton of snow that stuff to our west is no joke there's some heavy rates in there. Blacksburg said another 2-4 by 11. If we get the high end well be pushing 7 unreal!!!

We'll have to see what happens when/if  intensity picks back up.  I went to pure light sleet.  So I guess the warm nose is stronger than modeled :axe:  

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BF don't worry,the moisture will be there and here as soon as your wetbulb hits 32.6 tonight. If this would have been last Saturday and I was still under shutout conditions I would not have been a happy camper.. hopefully you can reel enough moisture in to enjoy today. We all got a good shot next week, but that's all it is , is a shot. Very well could be the last one we get to take till next year so make the most of what you get today.

I have had heavy return over me for hour and a half nothing reaching ground, after a dusting just shut off just like that. Never seen that, after it had reached the ground for a couple hours?  I mean better returns than when it was snowing?

Still snowing rather heavily best I can see. (I'm at work til 4:00) getting reports on my Facebook page of anywhere from 2-4" (not sure how it's being measured) around the area.

A co-worker lives in Eden, NC and said it was bone dry when she left at 10:15. Pretty crazy cutoff on the VA/NC border south of Martinsville.

Getting the first real snow from the system now here in Highlands, NC.

Light to Moderate snow for about an hour steady.

26/18 per mesonet station at Nantahala.

'Tis beautiful, indeed.

been snowing lightly in franklin for the past two hours. Where in Highlands are you?

Winds are ripping out of the south.

Courtesy of Facebook. It's been doing this now for 20 minutes.

11021271_10152901304133113_8683420762968

Yea, added a quick inch here.  Drying from the south really quick though.  RAP and HRRR bring something back around 4-5 so looks like we will get another break and then the real ptype questions will be need to be answered.  Funny, euro had surface temps above 0c at 00z this evening but still had 850s below.  HRRR still flirting with 0c 850s at 00z around here too.  Time to go get some firewood to the porch before it all gets mushy.  17f.  

Yep well loose our sleet, snowpack or what's left of it by this time tommorow. I'm at 33.

What a week though, espeacilly the cold from last Friday up until this a.m.. I mean it's week 3 of Feb, to get that kind of cold. Been great bookends of winter, November & Feb. Here's the kicker D,J,F are gonna end up below normal temp wise and above normal qpf. If one of these 3 shots (I'm in including Monday) next week can get their act together, esp late week alot of se posters would end up above normal snowfall, with the exception of northern mtns. Not sold on this yet, esp in NC. But VA is already or almost there, GA and SC would only need an inch or 2. So we shall see. Regardless the SAI index will forever be garbage.

been snowing lightly in franklin for the past two hours. Where in Highlands are you?

Winds are ripping out of the south.

Staying at Mitchells Lodge.  (pretty sure they have a room named after my family by now)

Winds did pick up quite a bit after my last post.  It stopped snowing about 1:00 and we probably have a quarter to a half inch.

Headed down to Franklin tomorrow to check on my friends place out by the airport.  Hoping he doesn't have any broken pipes.

Guys disc and I bringing it home. Around 9.5" haven't had pingers yet and moderate snow right now can't believe it.

The difference a few miles makes...I am in the Cave Spring area and when things finally started to get going...pingers again.  I might have 5 inches at this point.  My Brother in Bottlecap said he had 7.5 at 6 PM.  Temp 24. The axis of this thing shifting SE makes me wonder if we will go above freezing at all overnight ...or before it ends.  Again, very interesting system!

Edit add some ZR to the mix :ee:

The difference a few miles makes...I am in the Cave Spring area and when things finally started to get going...pingers again. I might have 5 inches at this point. My Brother in Bottlecap said he had 7.5 at 6 PM. Temp 24. The axis of this thing shifting SE makes me wonder if we will go above freezing at all overnight ...or before it ends. Again, very interesting system!

Edit add some ZR to the mix :ee:

is it heavy there as well?

Archived