• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20th-21st Winter Storm OBS/Discussion

LithiaWx

Hey all, watching the radar too. Staff was very concerned about light precip and higher model reflectivity and 850mb RH moving in in spite of several models showing limited QPF. Less confidence about advisory/warning east and south of I-85. We'll see.  SNELSON

lol - i am glad i am not someone who has to put out a forecast for the public, especially in situations like this.  yall must be pulling your hair out. 

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, looking at radar, the precip is much further south than forecasted. Interesting..

i would feel better to ne ga and the upstate if the moisture would seem to stop disappearing as it gets into central alabama :ph34r: i know our forecast is pretty much blah, but after monday there is always hope i guess lol.  it is so cold and dry here at the moment i just hope we can get enough moisture to make it to the ground and not have a raging virga storm

Hey all, watching the radar too. Staff was very concerned about light precip and higher model reflectivity and 850mb RH moving in in spite of several models showing limited QPF. Less confidence about advisory/warning east and south of I-85. We'll see.  SNELSON

thanks for the update.  i always like to read your AFDs.  based on the timing of this chance, I totally agree with the warnings and watches and being on the side of caution because of all the issues that must be dealt with here, namely the inexperience with how to handle snow,  (I'll leave it at that...)    And like DahlonegaWx said on his site, the roads are going to be much colder at onset this go around. 

Looking back at even the newest GFS run (6Z), cloudiness is way ahead of progged in MS/AL/GA. That also tells me that the model consensus is way off and we'll need to look at the radars very carefully today.

Yep.

Poor FFC can't win.  People really want them to be aggressive with their notifications, because large metro populations in the under-equipped South.  However, if they are even *slightly* off with the WWA precip type or (especially) borders, people are howling because "WHY ISN'T MY COUNTY UNDER THE WARNING, THIS IS HAPPENING WAAAA".  Heh.

I will say this:  they warned this days ago and they've stuck to it even while people were questioning their sanity.  And now radar returns are south of what any of the models prognosticated.  So if FFC turns out to have been correct about frozen precip as far south as they have warned later today, people will be interested to know how they did it.

Well they downgraded me to a WWA which I'm not surprised at!  up to 1 inch of snow. I figure they don't want to drop it all at once just in case models bring it back a little? Then they can always upgrade if need be.. JMO

Once again, and not that it really matters here...but a WS.A to a WW.Y is not a downgrade. A WS.W to WW.Y, however, is a downgrade.

Thanks for posting Steve!  As someone said above I don't envy you one bit.

The RAP simulated radar and the radar look similar to me in nature, however I don't think anyone expected a lot of that moisture to reach the ground.  I think most expected a lot of evaporation...

Will be interesting to see how this one unfolds.

Once again, and not that it really matters here...but a WS.A to a WW.Y is not a downgrade. A WS.W to WW.Y, however, is a downgrade.

Yes you're right, I should have worded it different (my bad)  I went from a watch to an advisory... The reason I said downgraded was last night they had me getting 4-6 inches possible this morning 1 inch possible.... But I understand what you're saying.....  

Yes you're right, I should have worded it different (my bad)  I went from a watch to an advisory... The reason I said downgraded was last night they had me getting 4-6 inches possible this morning 1 inch possible.... But I understand what you're saying.....  

The Euro and NAM both told you to expect the shaft, yet you seem surprised.

The Euro and NAM both told you to expect the shaft, yet you seem surprised.

Now why wouldn't I seem surprised??? They put me under a WINTER STORM WATCH for 4-6 of snow and ICE on top yesterday evening.. Now you going to tell me you wouldn't  be surprised if that was your forecast and 6 hours later the models that were showing it dried up??? Come on man you know better than to act like that...  I guess they surprised RNK and a lot of other Mets around here too!!!

I hope you enjoy your dusting or frizzle!!! :rolleyes:

A REGIONAL CRITICAL WEATHER DAY...CWD...WILL BE DECLARED AT 1800Z
FRI FEB 20 2015 AND EXTEND THROUGH 0000Z MON FEB 23 2015...DUE TO
A DEVELOPING WINTER STORM. THE FOLLOWING NWS REGIONS ARE IMPACTED
BY THIS CWD...EASTERN/CENTRAL/SOUTHERN. NCEP/NWSTG AND THE NCF
ARE ALSO PARTICIPATING IN THIS CWD TO ENSURE A RELIABLE FLOW OF
WEATHER DATA. ALL SCHEDULED SOFTWARE/HARDWARE/NETWORK CHANGES FOR
THE IMPACTED OFFICES WILL BE POSTPONED UNTIL THE CWD HAS ENDED.
ANY EMERGENCY CHANGES WILL BE EVALUATED AND APPROVED BY THE
LOCAL/REGIONAL MANAGEMENT OFFICIALS. NWS OFFICES SHOULD CONTACT
THEIR REGIONAL OFFICES FOR FURTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS CWD.

OREILLY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

Radar still pretty weak but as the folks in MS/AL can attest doesn't take much to cause serious road issues, especially with temps as low as they've been.

Wait and see for now, still not expecting much but would like a surprise.

I'm wondering how long it will take to saturate the very dry airmass here. Where I am the temp is 22 with a dewpoint of -6.

Yeah, snow might break out shortly t my location if that stuff is hitting the ground.

last observation in rome had ceilings down to 6500 feet. i'm a bit surprised to see returns actually increasing with so much dry air in place at the surface and aloft

temps are going to be a  bit colder today than forecast. no way gainesville gets to 34, currently it's 27. 31 here..was supposed to get to 37

PDK is about 3-4 degrees behind the hourly forecast, as well. Could be a problem if the north burbs top out around 31 instead of the forecast 34...

Radar has the precip approaching Woodstock/Ball Ground now...do we have anyone up there (or even Rome or Dalton) to give ground truth?

Archived