joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 16-17 Winter Storm Obs Thread

Blue Ridge

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Experiencing the heaviest snow I have seen all day right now. Really coming down. Given the wind direction still being out of the NE, I'm speculating that the cold air is being funneled out of SWVA at the surface down the I-81 corridor through Bristol and valleys just west of Holston Mountain and Mount Rogers. Perhaps that will hold off the warmer surface temperatures being experienced in Greene County.

I don't quite understand what's happened north of gate city the last 2 hours.  The precip has been off and on, long stretches of nothing when radar was indicating otherwise at times.  It wasn't snowing as hard but it was really consistent earlier. Prior to that lull I thought for sure we were on track for 8-12, now I am thinking i'd like to see 5

There is definitely some downsloping in a localized area along the mountains. Some strong gusts have been recorded at the Camp Creek tower.

Thanks for that report, that is interesting. For what it's worth, I usually experience enhanced winds here during mtn wave events like Camp Creek, but not as extreme. The rise in temperature may be in a similar location along the foothills. 

Just got a text from my friends daughter at ETSU. She says there's nothing going up there at all and is lamenting that she'll have class tomorrow. I told her not to give up hope.

WVLT in attempting to get to Scott County is now stuck on I-75 just north of Caryville as two tractor trailers are stuck and surrounded by salt trucks. 

Winds are now NW here and snow is the predominant precip type. Some sleet still mixed in though.

Solid freezing rain at my house which has turned the layer of sleet into thick solid ice. Power's still on though. It almost looks like it's above freezing but it's just water pouring off of the ice on my roof from the freezing rain.

I really hope it switches back over to sleet or snow soon. I'm doubtful I can still have power if we get another hour or two of this.

I don't quite understand what's happened north of gate city the last 2 hours. The precip has been off and on, long stretches of nothing when radar was indicating otherwise at times. It wasn't snowing as hard but it was really consistent earlier. Prior to that lull I thought for sure we were on track for 8-12, now I am thinking i'd like to see 5

I have no clue either. For the past 2 hours there has been 20-30 Dbz constantly overhead and nothing much is falling. I'm dumbfounded as to what's going on. Still stuck at 1 and a 1/2 inches

Sleet/snow mix in Kingsport.  Snowing now more than sleeting...but it has been a slow crawl to this point.  When the sun went down, things changed.  Also, the winds are now out of the northwest.  Temps dropped a degree, and now it is snowing.  But trust me, it is back and forth.  All snow as I type.  Moderate to heavy.  Crazy.

Sleet/snow mix in Kingsport.  Snowing now more than sleeting...but it has been a slow crawl to this point.  When the sun went down, things changed.  Also, the winds are now out of the northwest.  Temps dropped a degree, and now it is snowing.  But trust me, it is back and forth.  All snow as I type.  Moderate to heavy.  Crazy.

We are getting the same thing. Literally 5 minutes of big snow flakes. then back to sleet.

Woods around my property.  You can hear about every 30-60 seconds cracking and falling limbs, some large.  Have finally warmed up to 32.  Maybe hit a degree or two above before dropping for the evening?  I really pray the wind behind this system isn't too breezy, the trees can't take it.

They are north at 15 or so. That may not be great for you.

I have no clue either. For the past 2 hours there has been 20-30 Dbz constantly overhead and nothing much is falling. I'm dumbfounded as to what's going on. Still stuck at 1 and a 1/2 inches

I am considerably more elevated then GC, so I have probably close to 2.5-3.0, MRX is showing an additional 5.1 before it's over, I dunno, it's coming down a lot more consistent again

Trees are sagging in west Knoxville, looks like at least a quarter inch of ice has built up on them.  Roads in my neighborhood are slushy at the moment.  Steady stream of freezing rain at 30 degrees.  I'm curious if the temp will rise any more, if the sleet could surge again during some of the stronger bands in the queue, and when the change over to snow might happen.

Archived