SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb. 16-17 Winter Storm Obs Thread

Blue Ridge

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was lucky enough to use an iPad to do everything else. I bought a little tripod at Walgreens to set my phone on. That was my first time doing time lapse stuff. Maybe I'll get a chance this weekend to try it out again.

It's cool to see the changes in cloud cover, dogs running around, etc in addition to the precip lol.

It will be interesting to watch the news in the morning.  I have a half inch plus of slop on my road right now with temps expected to drop to 20 tonight.  More will build on top of that.  This will likely be the worst driving conditions in many years for the Knoxville area.  You know there will be some wild footage of people trying to drive on it.

Edit:  And just after posting that I heard what sounded like gun shots.  Went outside, nope, tree branches are cracking around the neighborhood.

It's cool to see the changes in cloud cover, dogs running around, etc in addition to the precip lol.

It will be interesting to watch the news in the morning. I have a half inch plus of slop on my road right now with temps expected to drop to 20 tonight. More will build on top of that. This will likely be the worst driving conditions in many years for the Knoxville area. You know there will be some wild footage of people trying to drive on it.

Edit: And just after posting that I heard what sounded like gun shots. Went outside, nope, tree branches are cracking around the neighborhood.

I haven't seen one plow come down the road today lol. They have done gave up and it wasn't even a big dog.

I'm sure it will be bad driving for most of the week especially when it drops below zero later in the week.

How long a period of time did that timelapse cover 1234?

John I think I started that video around 10:30 this morning and ended it at sunset. Some snow had already fallen before I started it. I figured you would have a lot of snow today but the warm nose was too much. The trend is not your friend lol

I don't know if my precip can hang on another hour for the changeover. Just haven't been able to change been sleet now for the last hour but we had flipped to mostly freezing rain here. Melted all the snow and sleet we had earlier. I guess we have about 1/2in of ice on everything. Just not far enough north for this one. My temp is back down to 28, but I just can't loose the warm nose here.

Edit: And naturally I type that and we switch to light snow haha. Never fails. It's not very heavy right now, but I'll take whatever I can get

I don't know if my precip can hang on another hour for the changeover. Just haven't been able to change been sleet now for the last hour but we had flipped to mostly freezing rain here. Melted all the snow and sleet we had earlier. I guess we have about 1/2in of ice on everything. Just not far enough north for this one. My temp is back down to 28, but I just can't loose the warm nose here.

I agree, just not enough precip left on radar for much of a changeover situation.  Maybe a dusting on top at best?  Oh well, honestly I'm just happy to have a significant winter storm here after such a winter.  Ice suites me better than cold rain.  Tomorrow my kids and I will be ripping up the neighborhood on sleds so that is not a fail in my book.

Edit:  Reb texting me that there are a fair amount of power outages around our area.  Might be hunkering down in front of the fireplace soon.

Pouring sleet again lol so many precip types in this sloppy storm

That's actually a good sign, any more ice here and we're in trouble.  Big limbs falling now, possible fence and other damage.  Would love some sleet.

Wife stepped outside with me to check things out and BLAM huge limb fell right on our fence line, on one of the gardens.  Gonna be a mess in the morning.

Archived