• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 16-17 Winter Storm Obs Thread

Blue Ridge

Sitting at 4.25 inches with one or two small bands to go. We had about three hours of sleet or we would have doubled that total.

So basically, a significant winter storm and ice storm hit the valley. Definitely wasn't the widespread snow event that we all wanted, but it will be listed as a winter storm of significance. Looks like this pattern might have another trick or two up its sleeves. Tnweathernut mentioned that the first blizzard and this storm lost the spacing needed for the second storm to have enough cold. I forget the exact term he used. I think Niño climo has a chance to deliver again. See why I hate Niño winters? Feast or famine and always late. Well. at least the southern stream has some life. Maybe we can score one for more folks next time.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no power here as of 6:30 am.

I was out for nearly 12 hours yesterday - that front comes through there will be more - trees are heavy with about .40" of ice here north of Nashville - will be more outages - anyone opening a thread for any of the upcoming threats? This weekend could be interesting in the TN Valley!

No one is posting because they don't have power. :-)

I ended up with about 0.25" here just NE of Atlanta. I'm in the perfect spot for CAD and that's exactly what I got all day and well into the night. I had a forecast high of 42 but only got to 32.5 F, and that was before the moisture arrived. Schools are closed here today and I'm still sitting at 28.1 F.

post-594-0-48247400-1424181985_thumb.jpg

post-594-0-36629400-1424181987_thumb.jpg

post-594-0-70240500-1424181988_thumb.jpg

post-594-0-18832600-1424181990_thumb.jpg

post-594-0-88892300-1424181991_thumb.jpg

post-594-0-99733200-1424181992_thumb.jpe

post-594-0-57353700-1424181993_thumb.jpe

I ended with between 1.5 to 2.0 inches of snow/sleet in north Johnson City.  Temps spiked from 28.5 to 33.5 in a matter of 25 minutes.  All in all, a pretty good storm and the roads are terrible today.  The city hasn't even sent anyone to treat my side road.  I am guessing it's because they are continuing to spend all their time on the main roads.  With more light snow predicted tomorrow and brutal temps coming in, the kids might end up with close to an entire week off school.  Interestingly enough, ETSU is closed again today (their second day in a row).

Here at my office in Erwin, we have an inch and a half of sleet.  It's compacted so well, I haven't even cleared the sidewalk and steps to my office.  I am 6'3'' 215 and it was easy to walk across the top of it without sinking down.  Pretty crazy!

No one is posting because they don't have power. :-)

I ended up with about 0.25" here just NE of Atlanta. I'm in the perfect spot for CAD and that's exactly what I got all day and well into the night. I had a forecast high of 42 but only got to 32.5 F, and that was before the moisture arrived. Schools are closed here today and I'm still sitting at 28.1 F.

Thanks for sharing Steve.  I hope those around you without power have it back up and running soon!

I was out for nearly 12 hours yesterday - that front comes through there will be more - trees are heavy with about .40" of ice here north of Nashville - will be more outages - anyone opening a thread for any of the upcoming threats? This weekend could be interesting in the TN Valley!

It's interesting that you didn't score more snow with this system.  Time and time again I have watched the warm nose absolutely screw Nashville and points to the northeast.  Short range modeling was hammering you guys with snow (even while it was happening) and the radar depiction of the rain/snow line was perfectly in line with modeling...............and yet somehow you managed to remain mostly zr and sleet until the end.  It would be comical if you guys got snow on a regular basis, but because they have become so rare, it's just sad.

I ended with between 1.5 to 2.0 inches of snow/sleet in north Johnson City. Temps spiked from 28.5 to 33.5 in a matter of 25 minutes. All in all, a pretty good storm and the roads are terrible today. The city hasn't even sent anyone to treat my side road. I am guessing it's because they are continuing to spend all their time on the main roads. With more light snow predicted tomorrow and brutal temps coming in, the kids might end up with close to an entire week off school. Interestingly enough, ETSU is closed again today (their second day in a row).

Here at my office in Erwin, we have an inch and a half of sleet. It's compacted so well, I haven't even cleared the sidewalk and steps to my office. I am 6'3'' 215 and it was easy to walk across the top of it without sinking down. Pretty crazy!

Yeah, got about the same in west Johnson City. A bit of ice/sleet at the bottom, then a snow/sleet layer, toped off with snow. This stuff is going to be hard as a rock with the upcoming temps. Speaking of, temps were insane during this storm. There was a 3 degree difference between two weather stations only 1-2 miles apart on Wunderground. Just nuts. Roads going to be dicey all week.

Yeah, got about the same in west Johnson City. A bit of ice/sleet at the bottom, then a snow/sleet layer, toped off with snow. This stuff is going to be hard as a rock with the upcoming temps. Speaking of, temps were insane during this storm. There was a 3 degree difference between two weather stations only 1-2 miles apart on Wunderground. Just nuts. Roads going to be dicey all week.

Carvers will attest to the temperature difference.  I have a Davis Vantage Pro and we were texting back and forth.  I don't know exactly how far way he is, but I am guessing about 12-15 miles.  While I was surging from the upper twenties to almost the mid 30's on southeast winds, his temperatures were actually lowering into the mid 20's on northeast winds.  And many expect models to be foolproof?  With our mountains and micro-climates, forget about it! lol

Carvers will attest to the temperature difference. I have a Davis Vantage Pro and we were texting back and forth. I don't know exactly how far way he is, but I am guessing about 12-15 miles. While I was surging from the upper twenties to almost the mid 30's on southeast winds, his temperatures were actually lowering into the mid 20's on northeast winds. And many expect models to be foolproof? With our mountains and micro-climates, forget about it! lol

I never got above 24 for the whole thing.

The HRRR actually had too much snow for me and SWVA. I figured it would end up too warm but the opposite happened.

Can't make snowballs out of this snow.

I have friends in Nashville, no they didn't.

Wow. That is just extremely unlucky. This system was perfect for them until right at the very end. I would of bet a large amount of money that 1" was a lock.

At one point there was a six degree temp difference between here and JC.  Tnweathernut is right on the money w/ that.  At one point I was sitting at 27 and some change, and I think he was sitting at around 34.  Ok, that is seven degrees...but I am not retyping.  Anyway, the downslope wind is my suspicion as MathMet pointed out.  I think the warm nose aloft made it all of the way to KTRI.  However, the lower level warming was probably due to a stiff east breeze blowing off the Apps.  It compresses the air and heats is up.  The storm moved so slowly that it allowed this to be more than a passing feature.  The models amazingly spotted this feature that robbed the eastern slope of usually strong snow totals.  Here, in Kingsport, we are on the other side of the valley.  The same snow shadow that robs Kingsport on northwest flow events helps Kingsport on events w/ an east wind.  We actually get a bit of lift here w/ that. 

As for today's weather obs....snow is still on secondary roads and probably isn't going anywhere.  Main roads are mostly clear and passable.  Refreeze tonight will be an issue on secondary roads.  Final totals here in west Kingsport were 4.5".  Hopefully, our friends in Knoxville will get power soon.  I noticed on FB that Knoxville has some folks w/ out power.  The sled-o-meter is set on high for today.

Had about an hour period of moderate snow in the form of tiny flakes between 8:45 and 9:45. A few flurries are occasionally dancing around. Wound up with 3" of compacted sleet/snow as well as a minor glaze. During the lull in precip last night, the temperature rose just above freezing, but quickly dropped again when the back side of the storm moved in.

As for my temps, never went above 27.3 for the entire event.  Strong NNE or NE wind for all but five minutes.  Interestingly, I had a northwest wind for about five minutes...then the sleet switched to snow and never looked back.  Must have been some type of frontal passage as the cold worked back through at dusk.  These will be my last obs for this event...

At one point there was a six degree temp difference between here and JC.  Tnweathernut is right on the money w/ that.  At one point I was sitting at 27 and some change, and I think he was sitting at around 34.  Ok, that is seven degrees...but I am not retyping.  Anyway, the downslope wind is my suspicion as MathMet pointed out.  I think the warm nose aloft made it all of the way to KTRI.  However, the lower level warming was probably due to a stiff east breeze blowing off the Apps.  It compresses the air and heats is up.  The storm moved so slowly that it allowed this to be more than a passing feature.  The models amazingly spotted this feature that robbed the eastern slope of usually strong snow totals.  Here, in Kingsport, we are on the other side of the valley.  The same snow shadow that robs Kingsport on northwest flow events helps Kingsport on events w/ an east wind.  We actually get a bit of lift here w/ that. 

As for today's weather obs....snow is still on secondary roads and probably isn't going anywhere.  Main roads are mostly clear and passable.  Refreeze tonight will be an issue on secondary roads.  Final totals here in west Kingsport were 4.5".  Hopefully, our friends in Knoxville will get power soon.  I noticed on FB that Knoxville has some folks w/ out power.  The sled-o-meter is set on high for today.

Great point about downsloping. I just mentioned that in the other thread. I typically am in a spot that is victimized by downsloping, but it only seemed to affect the earliest wave of precip. After that, it fell strong and steady. Northeasterly winds dominated, though I noticed a station around a mile away reporting easterly to occasionally southeasterly winds throughout.

My power just came back on after going off yesterday about 530 PM.  7 trees down on my property mostly pine, one across my driveway.  Fortunately no structural damage.  I really hope the wind doesn't start blowing.  All told about .5 inch of ice on everything down here.  Roads still a skating rink.  Just awful...

Carvers will attest to the temperature difference.  I have a Davis Vantage Pro and we were texting back and forth.  I don't know exactly how far way he is, but I am guessing about 12-15 miles.  While I was surging from the upper twenties to almost the mid 30's on southeast winds, his temperatures were actually lowering into the mid 20's on northeast winds.  And many expect models to be foolproof?  With our mountains and micro-climates, forget about it! lol

Exactly right! I surged to the mid 30s yesterday. Always enjoy trying to explain to my friends that the geography of where we live makes it extremely difficult to forecast weather, especially snow, here.

Archived