joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 16-17 Winter Storm Obs Thread

Blue Ridge

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not feeling great about my chances slightly north of gate city, starting as a light snow/sleet mix...sleet's going to kill my snow I am afraid, but it's pretty

It has been all snow here south of Gate City next to the state line. North of Gate City should be fine. Snow is picking up but it is fine flakes. 21 with a DP of 14/

Speaking of micro climates... I was sitting around 32 all morning, and about 30 minutes ago a strong southerly breeze kicked in, and knocked me all the way up to 38 in about 15 minutes. I'm on a small ridge, only at about 1050 ft, but I'm very prone to WAA. 

Still awaiting precip

Yep, further east you are in the valley the more warming will occur.  Low elevations nearest the mountain get more SW flow, and less protection from the Plateau acting as a dam.  However after the heavier precip makes it further east your dewpoint should kick your temp back down quite a bit.  

University of Tennessee closing at noon.

Should have closed, will be a lot of problems for anyone leaving after lunch.  Hope it works out for them though.

Still just mostly cloudy here in Erwin TN.  I have talked to buddies well north of Nashville, within 20 miles the TN KY state line and they are now reporting all freezing rain. They had sleet.  Not a good sign for those downstream.

Archived