SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb. 16-17 Winter Storm Obs Thread

Blue Ridge

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've switched over to mostly snow with some sleet. I hope business picks up in the snow department. Heavier returns are lurking just to my west.

Great to hear.  You have a lot of heavy returns(I am sure you know that) to you west.  Should switch that to snow for a bit.  Keep us updated.

Temp is 24 with a dew point of 9 here in Greeneville. I'm afraid that warm nose will get us in Greene County...always a pain.

I bet sleet and ice is in the cards for you all.  But w/ John switching over to snow, there is still hope.  Great to see you posting on the board again, man!

I guess the heavier returns managed to cool the column for now and allow the change over. I noticed it started as sleet/zr in a lot of places in Kentucky and Clarksville too but they've switched to snow. Hopefully we can all get in on several hours of it. Per TDOT where the freezing rain has fallen roads are near impassable.

I think Morristown nailed the warm nose with their ice map.  I can recall warm nose events like this where the flow is very SW to NE.  In that set up where its not S to N, warming occurs more along the eastern side of the valley closest to the mountains.  If you live N of Chatt about 40 miles and center the valley (east west center) and west closer to the Plateau, you won't likely get the benefit of surface warming enough to switch to actual rain.  

Red arrow the trajectory of the warm nose in relation to the wall that the plateau creates with this trajectory.

A wedge effect so to speak in the shadow of the damming of the plateau.

post-11228-0-45120500-1424097177_thumb.j

The wind hear is brisk out of the northeast.  I have not idea what it is at 5k'.  However, seems to imply that low level cold air is funneling southeast along the valley.  IMO, this is an ice storm set-up.  Warm air aloft is pushing northeast and underneath cold air is entrenched.  Good luck to everyone.  Met1985, maybe some will sneak over the crest of the Apps your way!  You know your time will come.  Elevation matters in spring!

Not feeling great about my chances slightly north of gate city, starting as a light snow/sleet mix...sleet's going to kill my snow I am afraid, but it's pretty

The returns out west of us are stout.  They will cool the air column and a period of snow will occur IMO.  Your spot should be money.  Enjoy.  What city are you in? 

Nickel and dime flakes are now falling. With the temps I don't expect flakes to get any larger, I just want to see them get much thicker. All surfaces are coated and the roads are especially awful due to that 20 minutes of freezing rain at the onset.

Great to hear.  Since we are downstream, helps to know that.  Still sleeting lightly here w/ a breeze out of the northeast. 

Great to hear from you, man. Greene County is more often than not the battlezone for a warm nose. Dec. 2009 comes to mind as a prime example.

Greene County is the last line of defense against the warm nose for the rest of TRI. A few miles has been the difference between a dusting and 5 or 6 inch snows many times within the county.

Up to 25 degrees here now.

The wind hear is brisk out of the northeast.  I have not idea what it is at 5k'.  However, seems to imply that low level cold air is funneling southeast along the valley.  IMO, this is an ice storm set-up.  Warm air aloft is pushing northeast and underneath cold air is entrenched.  Good luck to everyone.  Met1985, maybe some will sneak over the crest of the Apps your way!  You know your time will come.  Elevation matters in spring!

Seeing a northeast wind here as well. Has a bite to it. 26/6 for a wet bulb of 21.

Do you guys think that the models (HRRR and RAP) are over doing the warm nose? It has surface temps getting above freezing all the way to TRI if I am looking at them correctly. Looks like very heavy moisture will be coming through the area at the same time. Have a hard time believing it will all be rain this far north. But maybe that is wishful thinking. Thoughts?

Do you guys think that the models (HRRR and RAP) are over doing the warm nose? It has surface temps getting above freezing all the way to TRI if I am looking at them correctly. Looks like very heavy moisture will be coming through the area at the same time. Have a hard time believing it will all be rain this far north. But maybe that is wishful thinking. Thoughts?

Most models do not do well w/ the northern Valley.  Once the heavy rates hit here w/ dewpoints in basement...should be tough for the temps to rise.  The NAM has done pretty well w/ this as well.  It also rams the warmnose up the Valley, but rates push it south.  But really, who knows?  You all live here. You know how fickle this area is too forecast.  So many microclimates.  The northeast wind is good.  That baby switches to the southwest, then we have problems.

Most models do not do well w/ the northern Valley.  Once the heavy rates hit here w/ dewpoints in basement...should be tough for the temps to rise.  The NAM has done pretty well w/ this as well.  It also rams the warmnose up the Valley, but rates push it south.  But really, who knows?  You all live here. You know how fickle this area is too forecast.  So many microclimates.  The northeast wind is good.  That baby switches to the southwest, then we have problems.

I agree dewpoints are going to play the most critical role.  When dewpoints are as low as they are even down to Chatt... Temps just won't be able to climb like that at the surface.  IMHO

Nickel and dime flakes are now falling. With the temps I don't expect flakes to get any larger, I just want to see them get much thicker. All surfaces are coated and the roads are especially awful due to that 20 minutes of freezing rain at the onset.

John, I am hoping heavier rates around noon will switch it fully to snow, but man I am so close. 

I agree dewpoints are going to play the most critical role.  When dewpoints are as low as they are even down to Chatt... Temps just won't be able to climb like that at the surface.  IMHO

Thanks for the responses and explanations guys. This makes me feel a little bit better.

I wouldn't feel great in JC although some of the in house models don't have the nose going all the way up there till later.  But a lot of prior runs have the warm nose running on an axis that affects JC.  I would be surprised if you are rain at all today but I doubt much snow

Archived