• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Windspeed

If you took the GFS verbatim, Chatt gets 2-4" inches, lookout, signal  and so on around 6".  Plus you would likely get some glazing for a bit of ice.  It'll be a winter wonderland of sorts, shcools and businesses will be closed and it will be a terrible idea to travel.  

Personally I think dynamics will win out for you all and all of the southern valley in the end.  We still have noon, 18Z and even 0Z before the storm starts.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be staying in the Knoxville area. I know it's supposed to be cold for several days after the snow. Does anyone think the interstates will be in decent driving condition by Thursday ?

I'm betting they are drivable, but still have patchy snow and ice considering the really cold air.  0 or below zero that morning even.

Snowstorm, here is a link to the Tennessee Department of Transportation's Smartway Traffic site. It should give you a decent idea of travel conditions on the interstate on Thursday (click on the Feature Menu in the upper right corner and select Road Conditions). This is a real time site, they don't predict, so you'll have to check it Thursday of course...  Hope that helps! Safe travels!

https://smartway.tn.gov/traffic

I'll be staying in the Knoxville area. I know it's supposed to be cold for several days after the snow. Does anyone think the interstates will be in decent driving condition by Thursday ?

I am putting this back in since it was answered twice but please keep this kind of stuff in banter...this is a forecast thread. The answers should be self evident based on the forecasts made. 

12Z NAM clown.  For East Tennessee looks to me like Sleet and freezing rain cuts totals down dramatically from about a line of Dayton (Rhea county) to Athens (McMinn county) and south.

Totals north of that also have to contend with a lot of Sleet and look lower, but less liquid and higher overall totals still in the range MRX appears to be forecasting.  

post-11228-0-70415200-1424012809_thumb.j

And the 12z NAM is a IP/ZR storm for most of TN turning to rain in the southern half....

Mr. Bob, do you think the northern valley sees mostly snow? 12z NAM looks like mostly snow for TRI. But I also agree, a crippling ice storm for many considering how cold it will be afterward. Also, as a follow-up, will you please tell me how much snow will fall in the pepper pot in my backyard?

Are there still snow showers following the storm for SWVA/East tn?  Last nights 0z gfs showed .10-.15 qpf but at crazy snow ratios approaching 0-9 temps or 15-25:1 snow ratios, would add 2-4 inches if true.  Assuming this is standard NW flow post storm

Meteograms show the 12z NAM with a quarter inch of sleet and 3 quarters inch of ice for TYS.

Yet no ice warnings from MRX which makes me wonder what they are seeing that we are not.

Or if they plan to abruptly change things in the afternoon disco. If there's going to be that much ice youd think the NWS would step in so I'm kind of wondering if it's just model problems versus met experience.

Archived