• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Windspeed

This just keeps reminding me more and more of Jan 29-30th 2010. Looked great for snow for everyone right up until the event arrived then the warm nose gave everyone in the 40 corridor and points south major ice on top of 3-5 inches of snow. I was lucky enough to stay all snow for the event and the Euro snowfall map from 00z is almost a mirror image of what happened with that storm. So is the 00z NAM run.

yup,the euro switched out to such an extreme it has the LP coming though Mid Tn now,this sucks

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll just have to see how it goes. I've seen some legendary screw jobs before where the rug was yanked with winter storm warnings rolling. I mean bone dry when 6+ inches were forecast hours before. I hope this storm becomes a classic memory, but not for that reason at all. I hope it's remember as the storm that kicked off a series of winter storms for the area and 2015 ends up being a legendary winter for the whole valley.

It shows north of 40 getting sleet with temps in the lower 20s at the onset. My temps never get out of the 20s.  Gives SE Kentucky 14-18 inches of snow. Most of Tennessee probably gets 2-3 inches of sleet. The border areas with Kentucky and VA get 2-6 inches of snow. And south of 40 you get some freezing rain on top of your sleet. 

It shows north of 40 getting sleet with temps in the lower 20s at the onset. My temps never get out of the 20s.  Gives SE Kentucky 14-18 inches of snow. Most of Tennessee probably gets 2-3 inches of sleet. The border areas with Kentucky and VA get 2-6 inches of snow. And south of 40 you get some freezing rain on top of your sleet. 

It's the temps aloft that are the big question.

We have cold at the surface. We have moisture. The big question is if warm air is going to be pulled aloft into east TN, and if so, how far north.

I'm staying up to hear the MRX discussion.

CPC isn't buying into the model shift completely. Also, when a model shifts this much within 24 hours, it seems pretty sketchy to me.

I realize that's wishcasting, but I'm not going to cliff dive until 12Z or at least MRX's disco.

EDIT: Also it'll be important to see how 'warm' we get today and how cold it gets tonight before the onset of moisture. If it's colder than progged, then the warm nose will be less.

The WPC disco from a few minutes ago.

MIDDLE-LOWER MS VALLEY TOWARD THE MID-ATLANTIC AND NORTHEAST
COAST...

MODEL TRENDS SUPPORT A NORTHWARD ADJUSTMENT AS WELL AS HIGHER
PROBABILITIES TO THE SNOW AXIS FROM PARTS OF MISSOURI EASTWARD
THROUGH THE OH-TN VALLEYS TOWARD THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION...WITH
ADDITIONAL NORTHWARD ADJUSTMENTS TO ICE THAT EXTENDS FROM SOUTHERN
ARKANSAS ACROSS PARTS OF NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI AND ALABAMA ALSO
POSSIBLE IF THE NEW LOW TRACKS VERIFY. HOWEVER...GIVEN THE
NUMEROUS UNCERTAINTIES SUCH AS ARCTIC AIR HELPING TO RETARD THE
NORTHWARD RETREAT OF THE ACCOMPANYING FRONTAL BOUNDARY...AS WELL
AS THE COMPLEXITIES OF MID-LEVEL BANDING AND ROLE OF
CONVECTION...ADJUSTMENTS OVERALL ARE MODEST BUT LESS CONSERVATIVE
THAT WOULD PURELY BE SUGGESTED FROM THE DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE
ALONE. MODELS HAVE ALSO SHOWN LESS THAN AVERAGE RUN-TO-RUN
CONTINUITY...WHICH IS ANOTHER REASON TO BE CAUTIOUS OF HUGE
FORECAST ADJUSTMENTS. THEREFORE...THE LATEST SNOW/ICE
PROBABILITIES ARE WEIGHTED 50 TO 75 PERCENT TOWARD THE LATEST
CONSENSUS...WITH THE REST WEIGHTED TOWARD THE PREVIOUS FORECAST
FOR MESSAGING PURPOSES AND TO MINIMIZE THE NEGATIVE IMPACTS OF A
FLIP-FLOP SHOULD FUTURE RUNS CHANGE THEIR TUNE. THE RESULT IS LOW
TO MODERATE PROBABILITIES OF 8 INCHES OF SNOW FROM SOUTHEAST
MISSOURI EASTWARD INTO THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN
APPALACHIANS...WITH A BROADER AREA OF 4 INCH PROBABILITIES
SURROUNDING IT THAT EXTENDS INTO THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION AND
BRUSHES THE NORTHEAST COAST FOR MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY.
IMMEDIATELY SOUTH AND ADJACENT TO THE SNOW PROBABILITIES IS A
NARROW BUT POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT SWATH OF ICE POTENTIAL...WITH
MODERATE TO HIGH PROBABILITIES OF 0.25 INCHES OVER SOUTHEAST
OKLAHOMA INTO SOUTHERN ARKANSAS FOR TODAY AND TONIGHT...BEFORE
EXTENDING EAST NORTHEASTWARD ALONG THE SOUTHERN TENNESSEE
BORDER...AND EVENTUALLY INTO PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL CAROLINAS FOR
MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT.

Yep pretty much all of Tennessee appears to get icy.  I'm concerned about I-40 south, back and forth sleet and freezing rain.

Glad to hear CPC not quite ready to jump on board the recent model changes just yet, would explain why the WPC maps remained fairly consistent in the latest run.  I'm not going to make it till the MRX disco.  Guess i'll be waking up and having to catch up.  Maybe we can get the GFS to remain fairly consistent with snow being the primary P/type for most of the state...  We'll see, still some time for models to move around a bit.

Not gotten the AFD yet but the forecast grids have came in for today. As of now, MRX still extremely bullish for all of their CWA. My forecast looks fantastic.

3-7 inches Monday, 1-3 Monday night. 

Even down in the Southern Valley it still calls for 3-5 inches of snow along with freezing rain.

I really want to see what they have to say.

.LONG TERM (MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY)...MODELS CONTINUE TO CHANGE RUN

TO RUN SO CONFIDENCE LOW ON DETAILS...BUT OVERALL PATTERN INDICATES

THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL EVENT ACROSS THE AREA ON

MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT. CURRENT MODEL RUNS BRING IN WARM AIR ALOFT

WHICH PROVIDES A POTENTIAL FOR A MIX OF SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN...

ESPECIALLY NEAR CHA. ADDITIONALLY...NEW RUNS BRING IN STRONGER

DYNAMICS AND INCREASED MOISTURE INTO THE NORTHERN AREAS FOR A MOSTLY

SNOW EVENT NORTH OF TYS. CONFIDENCE IS REASONABLE FOR WARNING

CRITERIA SNOWFALL TYS NORTHWARD...SO WILL UPDATE CURRENT WATCH TO A

WARNING FOR THIS AREA. THERE REMAINS MUCH UNCERTAINTY OF PRECIP

TYPES OVER THE SOUTHERN AREAS AND WILL LEAVE A WATCH IN PLACE THERE.

I like the fact that it is currently 10 here with a DP of -8 and that there was a small, but not seemingly insignificant snowpack last night in southern KY and SW VA. I'm not a meteorologist by any means, but I wonder if that could help us stay colder. Plus the ever growing glacier in New England? Could it help hold the high in place longer? Don't know, but it's interesting to think about

06z gfs looked maybe 25 miles South of the 00z run. All snow north of 40 on it. Looks like rain may be possible along the southern tier on it. 40 is a battlezone.

Right along 40 the GFS puts down 3-5 inches. South of 40 almost no snow but a lot of ice. Counties a tier north of 40 look like 8-12 on that run.

Pretty much held serve with the 00z run overall. Good news is that the northward trend seems to have paused at least. Hopefully that small shift south is in the cards and the whole valley gets the snow rather than ice/cold rain/sleet.

Not too excited about how this trended for here. Looks like another case of hope and pray the models under estimate the cold at the surface and evaporational cooling and such. Looked like a dead ringer yesterday and the day before

We are screwed here if we want snow. Looks like Monday temps will shoot to the upper 30's to near 40*. After starting out as a mix it looks to be a nice, cold rain.

Not too excited about how this trended for here. Looks like another case of hope and pray the models under estimate the cold at the surface and evaporational cooling and such. Looked like a dead ringer yesterday and the day before

Yep. I have a feeling this one is going to be a heartbreaker here. It's going to be extremely close too.

Archived