• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Windspeed

Does he mean this is a wobble and to expect it to wobble back south, or does he mean it will wobble further north for the Ohio Valley?

quote from his Fri blog:

Now, before I leave for the day, a quick update on the storm potential for next week. The models pulled off a dramatic shift since I left the building yesterday, and what I have seen of the 12z model suite thus far hasn't really changed too much. The shift is decidedly southward with the storm coming out of the southern Plains. While that may spare areas from the central Plains the Ohio Valley of any serious snow issues, it does mean snow and ice is now on the table much farther south, perhaps even into parts of North and northeast Texas, northernmost Louisiana and parts of Arkansas, northern Mississippi, Tennessee, and over to western North Carolina. The latest GFS still has a pretty strong storm emerging off Cape Hatteras Tuesday night, bringing some snow through the mid-Atlantic and southern and eastern New England. It would not be a direct hit for them in this scenario, but it would clearly be more snow.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have found why we are seeing the warmer trends this evening and it has everything to do with the upper air energy (500mb). I noticed this when looking at the 500mb vort maps on the GFS and noticed the difference. I'll try to point out what I am looking at.

The differences I saw were at the front or the leading edge of the trough. There has always been some energy leaking out ahead of the broader trough. This energy was what we were calling the 1st wave. Now all the models have focused on this wave being the dominant one.

I don't think the northward/warmer trend has anything to do with the interaction with the Baja low. The dynamics of the system are already taking place before that happens and the models are not keying in on there being any backside snow. I'm going to post 2 images from today's GFS. The first one is from the 12z run.

534f0a1c8edcda228a52d8345533a91d.jpg

The area I have been paying attention to is around the Kansas/Missouri region. That is where the leading edge of the trough and the energy associated with the 1st/dominant wave is at. Notice how flat the orientation of the energy is. It has a neutral and almost positive(/) tilt to it. This allows the surface low to track due east across the Deep South and limits the northward flow of the warm air/warm nose.

Now here is the 0z GFS at the same time frame.

de0816799ebe59610a5c9b57f4e19a18.jpg

Notice how much stronger the energy is around the same region. The earlier runs of the model totally missed this "extra" energy. Also the energy is slightly negative tilted (). This allows the surface to track more to the north over northern AL/GA. This leads to a greater warm nose because the upper air is allowed to turn more from the south/southeast. It is the backing of the flow that is causing the low and warm air to get pushed further north. This also leads to a more amped solution because more gulf moisture is dragged in.

I hope all of that made sense. This is just something to keep an eye on tomorrow's runs that I think all models have missed and are now correcting on.

I'll be interested to hear the MRX discussion in a couple of hours.

My gut is telling me something is fishy about this northward pull - but then again it would be typical of this winter.

Not to mention areas further south under Winter Storm Watches would be dropped, and areas north where they aren't would be hoisted.  Going to be some seriously watch wary people after this coup so to speak.

Not to mention areas further south under Winter Storm Watches would be dropped, and areas north where they aren't would be hoisted.  Going to be some seriously watch wary people after this coup so to speak.

Unless MRX knows something we don't know. I'm hesitant to go cliff diving at this point until I hear their disco and see what the 6z and 12z models say.

This just keeps reminding me more and more of Jan 29-30th 2010. Looked great for snow for everyone right up until the event arrived then the warm nose gave everyone in the 40 corridor and points south major ice on top of 3-5 inches of snow. I was lucky enough to stay all snow for the event and the Euro snowfall map from 00z is almost a mirror image of what happened with that storm. So is the 00z NAM run.

Archived