AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
1002 AM CST SUN FEB 15 2015

.UPDATE...
HAVE UPDATED THE SUITE OF FORECAST PRODUCTS TO REMOVE MENTION OF WIND
CHILL ADVISORY WORDING IN THE ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT. ALSO...PER CURRENT
TEMP TRENDS...LOWERED AFTERNOON HIGH TEMPS BY A FEW DEGREES AS BUILDING
GREAT LAKES SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE CENTER INFLUENCES BECOME MORE ENTRENCHED
ACROSS THE MID STATE. ALSO TWEAKED HRLY TEMP...DEWPOINT...SKY CONDITION...
AND WIND SPEED/DIRECTION GRIDS TOO.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. It will be around 2:30-3:00 when they release the afternoon update and discussion and update the grids. I'm sure Mr. Bob could answer this better but the NWS isn't going to make abrupt changes too quickly without seeing at least two cycles of model runs. They will probably review all of the 12z data and then change accordingly. All of the point and click forecasts and grids were made early this morning after the 0z data.

It's a tough situation to be put in. As we know weather forecasting is extremely hard when there are so many details that can affect the outcome. They will make sure they are certain before making any changes.

For TRI, it's going to a be a super fine line between snow-ice-sleet...I am hoping ice really doesn't enter the picture.  I cannot remember a weather event like this followed by the temps we could see tues-Thursday.  It's conceivable to me that this could be life threatening event for many if ice enters the picture.  I wouldn't bet against ICE for even upper east tn, just hope it won't cross clinch mountain into Lee-Scott-Washington counties..yikes.  If I was MRX I would over alert and it in the event that they are wrong then so be it...it's too dangerous not to do so

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN

1002 AM CST SUN FEB 15 2015

.UPDATE...

HAVE UPDATED THE SUITE OF FORECAST PRODUCTS TO REMOVE MENTION OF WIND

CHILL ADVISORY WORDING IN THE ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT. ALSO...PER CURRENT

TEMP TRENDS...LOWERED AFTERNOON HIGH TEMPS BY A FEW DEGREES AS BUILDING

GREAT LAKES SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE CENTER INFLUENCES BECOME MORE ENTRENCHED

ACROSS THE MID STATE. ALSO TWEAKED HRLY TEMP...DEWPOINT...SKY CONDITION...

AND WIND SPEED/DIRECTION GRIDS TOO.

Yeah if I'm going to hit my forecast high today I have a few hours to rise 7 degrees... Don't think its going to happen.  Especially with that gusty N wind.

I would think that if the high over the great lakes is strong enough to hold temps down during the daytime, it "should" be strong enough to force this low a bit further south as well.

It does,and the HRRR reflects it looking at the 850's,dont trust the NAM right now,seems the HP is to far N

EDIT:E not N,probably wouldnt matter much anyways as weak as it looks,but every little bit helps..lol

It does,and the HRRR reflects it looking at the 850's,dont trust the NAM right now,seems the HP is to far N

But the 12z NAM was one of the best looks we had for the largest part of the state, right? Short term RGEM settled a little to the south at 12z

Sorry, just getting back online after church and lunch!

Thanks to Carvers for the in-church updates.

Euro slightly south!  Nashville gets buried.

Models are "seeing" the cold in place now.  I would suspect another slight tick south at 0z and on this afternoon's runs.  All systems go for the first widespread winter storm of the season.  And I'll raise a glass to Nashville in hopes that the drought finally ends w/ a bang!

It's coming down to time where you have to know your area. Tennessee is one of the few states where imby climatology is extremely important. Weather here varies greatly over relatively small areas. If you generally mix in these set ups you're very likely going to here. I'm generally not as susceptible to the warm nose in these situations unless the lp is way north or the cold air is fleeting rapidly. If you often get warm nosed pray for the wobbles to go south. Either way someone is going to get in the icy band and that may be very rough with the cold following this thing.

That's exactly what I expected to see after reading that blurb from OHX about the high pressure to the north being stronger than expected (holding temps down).

I'd like to see that entire thing pivot south 50 miles.  Putting upper cumberlands in the brightest pink bullseye, with everything else shifting 50 miles further south.  50 miles isn't a huge distance to move south even at this stage.

MRX Aviation update:

.AVIATION...SOUTHERN PLAINS STORM SYSTEM IS ON THE WAY. FLIGHT
CONCERNS WILL BE RATHER MINOR WITH ALTO CU CEILINGS LOWERING TO
JUST ABOVE MVFR CATEGORY AROUND 12-16Z AT THE TERMINALS WITH A
MIXED BAG OF PRECIPITATION BEGINNING COINCIDENT WITH LOWERING
CEILINGS. PRECIP LOOKS TO BE MAINLY -SN AT TRI UNTIL CLOSE TO THE
END OF THE FORECAST PERIOD WHEN SOME PL MAY MIX WITH THE SNOW. AT
TYS PRECIP WOULD PROBABLY START AS SOME -SN AND THEN MIX AROUND
MID DAY WITH SOME SLEET WHILE CHA MAY START AS SOME -SN AND PL BUT
TRANSITION INTO FREEZING RAIN LATE MORNING BEFORE CHANGING INTO
RAIN BY THE END OF THE FORECAST PERIOD.

1.1  through tues

I find myself being really interested in the .10-15 that follows the storm, I think some TRI areas could get an additional 2-4 with the snow ratio's that we see after the storm.  I would have been excited about 2-4 inches about a 6 days ago, now it's cherry on the top potential

Basically, the snow totals are cut by warm air aloft.  That means 4-8" for TRI, then sleet, then crust it w/ ice.  Power guys better be getting some sleep.  I may need to go by them a gift certificate for what they are about to have to do.

Carver,i certainly don't doubt you but I was curious how you came to your conclusion for warm air aloft cutting totals for tri?  The text outputs I looked at do have a period of .30-.40 where our ratio's are more reasonable, but then it's followed by pretty stout ratio's in the .45 zone.  Is this a case where western counties, namely Lee, Scott, Wise, Hancock do a little better then Washington county and Bristol...nitpicking of course but it seems a little spread on the maps?

Carver,i certainly don't doubt you but I was curious how you came to your conclusion for warm air aloft cutting totals for tri?  The text outputs I looked at do have a period of .30-.40 where our ratio's are more reasonable, but then it's followed by pretty stout ratio's in the .45 zone.  Is this a case where western counties, namely Lee, Scott, Wise, Hancock do a little better then Washington county and Bristol...nitpicking of course but it seems a little spread on the maps?

MRX comments...plus all great storms here have a warm nose.

Archived