joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't think there is a model to handle the beasts from the north that well, all models have had a struggle with these systems due to the poor data sampling up in the NW territories.

Not nearly as dense a network at the CONUS, but Cambridge Bay and Resolute Bay both launched balloons tonight that are sampling at least the outer periphery of the shortwave.

Just because a system originates in the Arctic doesn't mean it's in a data hole. The Pacific you might have an argument, but believe it or not they do station people up on those glorified icebergs.

I agree Will, wait until the 12z cycle tomorrow before jumping on JPs and maximum snow amounts, but the potential is there for a very healthy snowfall, I was wrong to bring up the potential for 30" of snow so early on today, but I just got my excitement juices following.

Yes, it can be hard to contain those excitement juices.

Not nearly as dense a network at the CONUS, but Cambridge Bay and Resolute Bay both launched balloons tonight that are sampling at least the outer periphery of the shortwave.

Just because a system originates in the Arctic doesn't mean it's in a data hole. The Pacific you might have an argument, but believe it or not they do station people up on those glorified icebergs.

iceberg is right

-32°C

°C °F

Wind:

W 18 km/h

Wind Chill:

If you want to see the results of 00z upper air here are the maps

http://weather.gc.ca/analysis/index_e.html#UAA

My take is that this ULL will carve south a little more effectively than GFS was saying earlier, it is bringing a weak Alberta clipper southeast for the ride and that should maybe space the contours a bit more than the ultra tight jet required to verify a northern position. Given the extreme upper air parameters associated with the ULL, explosive development will certainly take place as soon as the surface centre hits the coast, my guess is that the low will deepen to 970 mbs or lower at the BM and bury eastern New England in general with 25-40 inches.

Here is a look at 00z tonight. The shortwave we care about is the red X, the nearest soundings are the pink stars. So it isn't like it's a complete mystery to the models tonight.

Maybe the absolute strength of the shortwave is slightly under-sampled, but that could be argued at any part of the upper air network.

post-44-0-13988400-1423712515_thumb.png

0z NAM perfectly illustrates what the current ULL trajectory does...we watch the storm erupt but a little too far ENE so maybe Maine and Halifax get smoked. 

I think the NAM looks pretty good.  Widespread plowable snow.  The only thing it's missing is big QPF.  EMA still gets clipped pretty good.  Gonna be hard to position things much better with the ULL traversing the way it is.  Still think QPF is underdone on the American models.

My take is that this ULL will carve south a little more effectively than GFS was saying earlier, it is bringing a weak Alberta clipper southeast for the ride and that should maybe space the contours a bit more than the ultra tight jet required to verify a northern position. Given the extreme upper air parameters associated with the ULL, explosive development will certainly take place as soon as the surface centre hits the coast, my guess is that the low will deepen to 970 mbs or lower at the BM and bury eastern New England in general with 25-40 inches.

Often overzealous, you nailed the 2/2 system.

I think the NAM looks pretty good.  Widespread plowable snow.  The only thing it's missing is big QPF.  EMA still gets clipped pretty good.  Gonna be hard to position things much better with the ULL traversing the way it is.  Still think QPF is underdone on the American models.

Part of that .....well look at the thermal profiles...540 is over Bermuda I think.   System will have to work hard in the cold side of things.  Has the energy aloft to do it.

Here is a look at 00z tonight. The shortwave we care about is the red X, the nearest soundings are the pink stars. So it isn't like it's a complete mystery to the models tonight.

Maybe the absolute strength of the shortwave is slightly under-sampled, but that could be argued at any part of the upper air network.

attachicon.gifupperair.png

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.

What is the FIM?

Don't know much about that piece of guidance...

It's an experimental NECP model that was supposed to be the next great model back when they designed it a few years ago(I believe it was supposed to be a replacement for the GFS), but when it was tested, it turned out to be a complete flop and never went operational as a result. It's known as the ****ing incompetent model for a reason though.

I love it

upperair.png

494 closed

Archived