• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 17 Miller A Threat

Zelocita Weather

I can't see a 1/17/94 type event coming up...it had over an inch and a half of precipitation...it started as snow after a low around ten...after an inch fell it changed to freezing rain and plain rain when temperatures went above freezing...The high temp hit 47 in NYC that evening...The wind shifted before midnight and temps crashed and rain changed to wet snow...less than an inch accumulated...this ended in the early morning hours on the 18th...another cold wave with snow squalls hit during the afternoon...temps plunged to below zero...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now we have to be faced with a potential cutter with epic torchy temps and rain? I thought suppression and overwhelmingly cold air was the primary concern with any storms for next week. Wow, we sure can't win this year.

It's like a week away or better. We struggle with storms inside 3 days let alone 7-8. It's possible it could cutt though the antecedent cold will be difficult to eliminate. I could see another ice situation.

Now the 0z Euro went to the GFS/CMC more amped idea of snow to rain. So the solution would be bitter cold before

warming up briefly and more cold after somewhat like the 94 example. We just can't handle  any amplitude from the southern

stream with a +AO. We need to cash in on the front end thump like the previous similar storms this season.

The system is squeezed between a frigid air mass that is leaving and the crashing back in of the entire vortex on day 9 . KNYC goes from 5 to 40 in 18 hours on the Euro and the city and coast go to rain .

What we need is for this to slow down and allow for HP to build  through the lakes to allow the confluence to keep the center south .

Yeah, the Arctic high slips off the East Coast at the wrong time on the 0z runs allowing the low to come too far west.

Look at the 500 . This thing wedges itself between 2 deep troughs . That's just bad timing .  12 hours slower and the  day 8 plus vortex probably leans on it .

Look at the 500 . This thing wedges itself between 2 deep troughs . That's just bad timing .  12 hours slower and the  day 8 plus vortex probably leans on it .

Still plenty of time tho no? I mean we have to get thru the Sunday storm first and who knows what kind of effect that will have.  Wouldnt be surprised if it did evolve this way however, pattern this year def has supported it.

Still plenty of time tho no? I mean we have to get thru the Sunday storm first and who knows what kind of effect that will have.  Wouldnt be surprised if it did evolve this way however, pattern this year def has supported it.

All you need is this to either slow down 12 hours , or have the Vortex roll back in 12 hours faster and you push the SLP further S and probably keep the mid level coastal warmth at bay .

Only discussing the OP inside the pattern sitting here 7 days out  .  Not a forecast man .

All you need is this to either slow down 12 hours , or have the Vortex roll back in 12 hours faster and you push the SLP further S and probably keep the mid level coastal warmth at bay .

Only discussing the OP inside the pattern sitting here 7 days out  .  Not a forecast man .

I hear ya, forecast for 7 days out this year is almost like making a winter forecast in the Fall.

That's what happens in a +AO pattern.

:cry: .

For the record you are already N of 30 inches for the year and on your way to 40 . In what has been a pos AO winter .

This year will stand out  when you total up snowfall vs where the AO ends up for the winter  overall .

While this winter will be unique as per the statistics for +AO winters, I think it was fairly clear that we'd perform better than most +AO winters due to the Pacific EPO / PNA regime. If one examines prior winters which featured a dominant +NAO / AO signal, for the most part, those years did not feature a robust / anomalous -EPO / +PNA couplet. The very strong poleward ridging through Alaska signaled the likelihood of cross polar flow into the eastern / central US, and also a good chance for numerous short waves diving southward from Canada due to the highly meridional flow. These waves have allowed for the enormous New England snowfall, and the lack of NAO / AO blocking has prevented these waves from becoming major PHL-NYC snowstorms as well. However, the activity of the pattern is such that we're seeing countless chances to gradually rack up snowfall in our area via the northern stream short waves. Going forward, as long as the potent -EPO / +PNA persists, with occasional east based -NAO ridging, our area will continue to see snow chances. Will they be major? Possibly not, but an above normal snowfall season in Central Park (28"+) still looks likely to me. Very rarely do we combine a strong -EPO / PNA couplet with a strong +NAO / AO.

Archived