joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 17 Miller A Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z GFS shifted the surface low East. Solid hit but ends up East of the benchmark. The good news is that it should have a ton of moisture to work with and it doesn't wrap up that quickly so even with the surface low East it should still throw back decent moisture. Looks like 6-10" areawide this run. Better than the Euro and less mixing issues.

The 18z GFS shifted the surface low East. Solid hit but ends up East of the benchmark. The good news is that it should have a ton of moisture to work with and it doesn't wrap up that quickly so even with the surface low East it should still throw back decent moisture. Looks like 6-10" areawide this run. Better than the Euro and less mixing issues.

Its gotta stop trending east though.  Does this new GFS still have a south east bias on Miller A's like the old one?

i think this is the first miller a for the new GFS so it will be telling if it has the same bias

no it's not this is the second one. The first one was last Monday when we had snow to ice to snow and it clearly did a good job with it but euro was better with the colder air aloft!

no it's not this is the second one. The first one was last Monday when we had snow to ice to snow and it clearly did a good job with it but euro was better with the colder air aloft!

That wasn't a miller A. The parent low tracked to the Ohio Valley. That's a miller B.

This will be the first true miller A. The blizzard from a few weeks ago was more of a hybrid. For a true miller A you want a southern stream system ejecting out of the southwest and then a northern stream phase.

That wasn't a miller A. The parent low tracked to the Ohio Valley. That's a miller B.

This will be the first true miller A. The blizzard from a few weeks ago was more of a hybrid. For a true miller A you want a southern stream system ejecting out of the southwest and then a northern stream phase.

ur right I apologize. so this will be a good test for the GFS normally the euro is much better with this type of setup.

So what if it shifted. It's not going to be exactly in the same spot every model run. I'd rather have it east than west right now.

Its just something to watch that's all.  Each run, correct me if im wrong, has shifted east.  I'd be thrilled if this is what it showed on monday or if it verified.  This winter has taught me to temper expectations until 36-48 hours out.

Its just something to watch that's all. Each run, correct me if im wrong, has shifted east. I'd be thrilled if this is what it showed on monday or if it verified. This winter has taught me to temper expectations until 36-48 hours out.

no from what I remember it's been wiggling left and right the past few runs but still have been getting hits of 4-12 inches generally speaking. Some with rain and ice! But I wouldn't worry too much until Sunday!

post-2656-0-53519400-1423782062_thumb.gi

no from what I remember it's been wiggling left and right the past few runs but still have been getting hits of 4-12 inches generally speaking. Some with rain and ice! But I wouldn't worry too much until Sunday!

Here are the last 4 runs of the GFS in gif format at the same time frame.  Notice the east shift.  I'm not trying to poo-poo anything, just pointing it out.

Nice work 777

I will take a stab and say

this is about the max we come east....with this system

all three ENS have the back to back Atlantic High pressure ( a double brick wall- imo)

at this point

lets get another 24 hr window of runs

and see if this idea holds water---then the Benchmark track from today's blend of guidance

should keep NYC all snow and hopefully stay in line until showtime

excuse my typos

dm

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem-ens&region=namer&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2015021212&fh=144&xpos=0&ypos=177.33333333333334

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf-ens&region=namer&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2015021212&fh=144&xpos=0&ypos=177.33333333333334

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs-ens&region=namer&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2015021212&fh=144&xpos=0&ypos=177.33333333333334

Nice work 777

I will take a stab and say

this is about the max we come east....with this system

all three ENS have the back to back Atlantic High pressures ( a double brick wall- imo)

at this point

lets get another 24 hr window of runs

and see if this idea holds water---then the Benchmark track from today's blend of guidance

should keep NYC all snow and hopefully stay in line until showtime

excuse my typos

dm

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem-ens&region=namer&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2015021212&fh=144&xpos=0&ypos=177.33333333333334

attachicon.gifen-atl.gif

Thats what I am hoping for.  If this continues to go east 20 miles every run than its a problem.  Though, if this is the furtherst east this gets than that's perfect for most ppl on this sub-forum.  Even some west of the Delaware River.

One thing I note is that this does not have, at least progged as of now, the sharp cutoff that has become recently dominant in these setups. In other words, at least verbatim, it's not like 20 miles is taking you from 12" to 2" or something like that. Of course, it could change.

Very true.  A nice west shift or if it just stayed in place at 0z would be reassuring.   We might finally get a chance to see if the south east bias has been corrected with the upgrade one way or the other.

from 10:42 am this morning

WRN NOAM FLOW AMPLIFICATION ALSO LEADS TO AN INCREASINGLY
FAVORABLE GULF OF MEXICO MOISTURE/WAA RETURN FLOW PATTERN MON-WED
INTO/OVER AMBIENT AND SLOWLY RECEEDING LOWER LEVEL COLD AIR ACROSS
THE EAST-CENTRAL US DOWNSTREAM ALONG/AHEAD OF A WAVY COLD FRONT.
PENDING STREAM INTERACTION EFFECTS AND SWEATING THE IMPORTANT
SMALLER SCALE DETAILS...THIS OFFERS SOME PROLONGED HEAVIER PERIODS
OF SNOW AND DANGEROUS/TRANSITIONAL HEAVY ICING ACROSS A
POTENTIALLY LARGE THREAT AREA IN VICINITY FROM THE S-CENTRAL
PLAINS/MS VALLEY MON NEWD ACROSS THE E-CENTRAL US AND ERN/NERN US
ON THE NRN PERIPHERY OF THE EXPANDING OVERALL PCPN SHIELD. WPC
WEATHER/PCPN TYPE GRIDS OFFER A GRAPHICAL DEPICTION AND A MORE
AMPLIFIED DAY 6/7 WPC SCENARIO LEAVES THE DOOR MORE OPEN FOR
POSSIBLE TRAILING SURFACE FRONTAL WAVE DEVELOPMENTS THAT COULD ADD
CONVERGENCE/PCPN THREAT.

SCHICHTEL

he is the schic........ :mapsnow: