joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 17 Miller A Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No preciep issues for anyone this run...

still days away obviously but this looks like the most impactful storm for nyc in quite a while. Especially with all that cold air around and snow cover I don't see how we are going to have mixed precip. Looks good for a 6-12 inches from my examination. Do you got the qpf for nyc?

still days away obviously but this looks like the most impactful storm for nyc in quite a while. Especially with all that cold air around and snow cover I don't see how we are going to have mixed precip. Looks good for a 6-12 inches from my examination. Do you got the qpf for nyc?

Hard to tell because it's combined with Saturday's event. Best guess 1.00.

5 runs ago this was an inland runner. Each subsequent run it's moved further east. Now, it's just about perfect...maybe already ever so slightly east then what we would perfectly want. If this eastward trend continues ( even just 75 more miles east, which isn't much 132 hours out), we will be looking at the same situation that's been happening all winter. Too far north, or too far east

5 runs ago this was an inland runner. Each subsequent run it's moved further east. Now, it's just about perfect...maybe already ever so slightly east then what we would perfectly want. If this eastward trend continues ( even just 75 more miles east, which isn't much 132 hours out), we will be looking at the same situation that's been happening all winter. Too far north, or too far east

NAO not cooperating. The -AO slows down the Westerlies enough over middle of the CONUS but as we get closer to the Eastern seaboard the +NAO is too much to bear and "progressiveness" reigns.

So, this run wasn't that great, it looked better than it actually was because all we had to go by was the QPF totals from both events combined.

great run imo plenty of cold. Not even marginal. Also qpf is too far to pinpoint but looks good for our area for a warning snow criteria.

We can't buy a solid negative AO and west based negative NAO this winter

The AO has at least cooperated somewhat--the NAO hasn't been negative since late December, and I think it has a LOT to do with Western folks "losing" and Eastern folks "winning". Yes, we have lacked blocking as well, but the +NAO really adds insult to injury. If the westerly flow was slower near the eastern seaboard some of these storms would have had a better shot of amplifying sooner and bending back closer to the coast.

More to snow ratios than just temperatures, also has to do with omega in the snowgrowth region. Keep that in mind.

The 12z GFS showed 7.1" at LGA on 0.62" LE. Average ratio starting off at 17:1 and then dropping to 11:1 as the mid-levels warm. Comes out to an average snow ratio of only 11.46:1

Archived