• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Storm potential Sunday-Monday, 2/8-9/2015

famartin

If you think that 18Z GFS track/setup will come anywhere close to verifying.....you must be high

I am high, on virtual snow. It would have been even more of a fantasy run if the coastal then turned back up the coast. Interesting doesn't mean will verify, it just means it's interesting.

funny comment as something close could certainly happen...

alternatively, it may end up nothing like it!

point is, no one knows at this point(?) yet another one to keep our interest for sure!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

funny comment as something close could certainly happen...

alternatively, it may end up nothing like it!

point is, no one knows at this point(?) yet another one to keep our interest for sure!

From 6Z to 18Z the offshore low moves nowhere while the onshore low moves due south....not going to happen.

I don't like the way this storm is headed....suddenly it is slowed by 18 hours or so giving HP time to start pulling away before the coastal gets cranking. GGEM gets the rain line practically to NY State border. We really need things to happen while the high is still building in place, otherwise a storm delayed is a storm denied. Just my gut feeling for PHL proper....probably need an earlier storm else this one is mostly rain and mixing....unless you get explosive deepening and dynamic cooling which no model is really showing for this.

GFS brings ABE back to reality , 8" followed by some rain to wash it down lol

It's too early to get worked up over such details, but...it would be a crying shame if we'd have to deal with warm 850's and a sloppy mess again after all this cold, and the cold being modelled following the event.

It's too early to get worked up over such details, but...it would be a crying shame if we'd have to deal with warm 850's and a sloppy mess again after all this cold, and the cold being modelled following the event.

Despite (what Tom at the other forum tells me) the local news "hyping" the current cold, its not all that cold.  Certainly not like last year.  And the modeling has been repeatedly overdoing the cold in the longer term. 

Despite (what Tom at the other forum tells me) the local news "hyping" the current cold, its not all that cold.  Certainly not like last year.  And the modeling has been repeatedly overdoing the cold in the longer term. 

I hope so because right now (and I know it's in the fantasy range) the GFS is depicting some crazy cold in the 192-384 hour range.

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=kabe

Latest Wxsim with 6z - of course bouncing around as the 0z had All snow now the 6z ice storm....this is really turning out to be quite the winter!! the hits just keep coming!

Saturday night: Mostly cloudy to cloudy in the evening, becoming dense overcast

after midnight. A slight chance of a mix of snow and rain in the evening, then a

slight chance of a mix of sleet and snow after midnight. Low 25. Wind southwest

near calm. Chance of precipitation 20 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)

mostly less than a tenth of an inch. No snow or ice (on ground) accumulation

expected.

Sunday: Dense overcast. A mix of sleet, freezing rain, and snow likely in the

morning, then a chance of a mix of sleet, snow, and freezing rain in the

afternoon. High 32. Wind east around 2 mph in the morning, becoming 7 mph in the

afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)

mostly between a quarter and half an inch. Little or no snow or ice (on ground)

accumulation expected. Above-ground freezing rain accumulation up to 0.1 inches.

Sunday night: Dense overcast. A mix of sleet and snow likely. Low 29. Wind chill

as low as 21. Wind east around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly less than a quarter of an inch. No snow

or ice (on ground) accumulation expected.

Monday: Dense overcast. A chance of a mix of sleet, freezing rain, and snow in

the morning, then a chance of a mix of freezing rain and sleet in the afternoon.

High 33. Wind chill around 23. Wind east around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation

50 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around a tenth of an inch.

No snow or ice (on ground) accumulation expected. Little if any freezing rain

accumulation.

Monday night: Dense overcast. A mix of freezing rain and sleet likely in the

evening, then freezing rain likely after midnight. Low 30. Wind chill as low as

21. Wind east-northeast around 11 mph, gusting to 15 mph. Chance of

precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly between half

an inch and one inch. No ice (on ground) accumulation expected. Above-ground

freezing rain accumulation up to 0.5 inches.

Latest Wxsim with 6z - of course bouncing around as the 0z had All snow now the 6z ice storm....this is really turning out to be quite the winter!! the hits just keep coming!

Saturday night: Mostly cloudy to cloudy in the evening, becoming dense overcast

after midnight. A slight chance of a mix of snow and rain in the evening, then a

slight chance of a mix of sleet and snow after midnight. Low 25. Wind southwest

near calm. Chance of precipitation 20 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)

mostly less than a tenth of an inch. No snow or ice (on ground) accumulation

expected.

Sunday: Dense overcast. A mix of sleet, freezing rain, and snow likely in the

morning, then a chance of a mix of sleet, snow, and freezing rain in the

afternoon. High 32. Wind east around 2 mph in the morning, becoming 7 mph in the

afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)

mostly between a quarter and half an inch. Little or no snow or ice (on ground)

accumulation expected. Above-ground freezing rain accumulation up to 0.1 inches.

Sunday night: Dense overcast. A mix of sleet and snow likely. Low 29. Wind chill

as low as 21. Wind east around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly less than a quarter of an inch. No snow

or ice (on ground) accumulation expected.

Monday: Dense overcast. A chance of a mix of sleet, freezing rain, and snow in

the morning, then a chance of a mix of freezing rain and sleet in the afternoon.

High 33. Wind chill around 23. Wind east around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation

50 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around a tenth of an inch.

No snow or ice (on ground) accumulation expected. Little if any freezing rain

accumulation.

Monday night: Dense overcast. A mix of freezing rain and sleet likely in the

evening, then freezing rain likely after midnight. Low 30. Wind chill as low as

21. Wind east-northeast around 11 mph, gusting to 15 mph. Chance of

precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly between half

an inch and one inch. No ice (on ground) accumulation expected. Above-ground

freezing rain accumulation up to 0.5 inches.

Somehow I can believe that actually will happen - 48 hours of frozen precip with no snow accumulation and some glaze.

This is going to end up just like the last storm.  The models have overdone the cold push in the med/long range all winter and I expect the same thing to happen with this as we move closer with a wet outcome for our area and another New England cash-in.    

You may be right and certainly that seems to be the way things have gone this winter.  Let's see where this is by 12z Friday.

In Canada maybe?   This winter has and will continue to disappoint around here.  Our past few winters have been feast or famine and the writing has been on the wall around the city that this one will be famine. 

In Canada maybe?   This winter has and will continue to disappoint around here.  Our past few winters have been feast or famine and the writing has been on the wall around the city that this one will be famine.

It really depends on where you are.....here in the NW Philly burbs it has been above normal snowfall and colder than normal.....if you love snow the only complaint is the models have printed out like 80"+ this year and reality has been 1/4 of that!!

GFS is a mess....hp pulling out as storm moves in. So much for that high being in an optimal position. Looks like taint to rain for many this run. Not liking the trends on the GFS at all.

..what? there's .5-.75 that falls with below freezing surface and 850 for most of the area. The coastal storm doesn't even affect the region on this run.

No margin for error now much like the last storm evolved. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be mostly rain here.

I don't know about mostly rain but I'm thinking somewhere around 30% rain 20%ice 50% snow. At this point I'm not buying into 6"+ amounts for the TTN area, as you said; way too much can go wrong. I think 2-5" is a good first guess for now. I think that an eventual 1-3" is more likely than a 6-12" storm though.

No margin for error now much like the last storm evolved. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be mostly rain here.

The coastal? I agree. But with the overrunning that gives the area over .5 all frozen shouldn't have an issue with temps. That high isn't modeled to depart while that is going on. Best case scenario is what the GFS gives us today. .6-.8 all snow from overrunning and the coastal misses us so there's no rain.

Archived