• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

I think it has everything to do with communicating to a screen, there's a lot of Keyboard Kowboys out there.

Computer screens need to be replaced by mirrors every now and then. But then again, mirrors always lie. Social media is a petri dish for narcissism, inflation, and general histrionics with a side order of ignorance.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol. The NYC forum has been deplorable ever since the Eastern US WX days, with a few moments of greatness. I've been on this since I was 14, I'm 22 now, and nothing has really changed. It's hilarious to read through, I just skip through everything and just focus on the meteorological debates. But then again the Nyc forum is a love hate thing for me lmao.

News on the coming cold blast from Mt Holly. Mentions it may be colder than the previous. :snowing:

Seems there is also some snow possible over the weekend.

THU THRU FRI NIGHT...BITTERLY COLD ARCTIC AIR SETTLES ACROSS THE
REGION. THE COLD WILL BE SIMILAR TO THE PREVIOUS COLD SNAP...BUT
PERHAPS A LITTLE COLDER. HIGHS THU/FRI WILL BE IN THE SINGLE DIGITS

NORTH/WEST AND TEENS ELSEWHERE. LOWS FRI MORNING SUB-ZERO FROM THE
DEL VALLEY N/W AND 0 TO 5 OVER THE DELMARVA AND SE NJ. OVERALL 20
TO 30 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL FRI. FEW SNOW SHOWERS FAR N/W.

SAT THRU SUN...TEMPERATURES MODERATE...BUT CHCS FOR PRECIP INCREASE
AS A LOW SHEARS OUT AS IT APPROACHES FROM THE OHIO VALLEY. PRECIP
TYPE MOSTLY SNOW SAT BUT WITH HIGHS FCST TO REACH INTO THE 40S
SUNDAY...WE COULD CHANGE OVER TO RAIN. OVERALL QPF IS NOT TOO
GREAT THOUGH. MODELS MAY BE OVERDOING THE WARM AIR...SO WE`LL HAVE
TO MONITOR THIS THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

EARLY NEXT WEEK...ANOTHER ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS TOWARD THE
AREA. TEMPERATURES WILL FALL AGAIN TO 15 TO 20 DEGREES BELOW

NORMAL.

Sun is out in Rockland, clouds are broken up, still flurries in the air

A few flurries in Fishkill too despite a good deal of blue skies. I'm guessing these very light snowflakes are being carried quite a ways from their origin. I remember reading somewhere that snowflakes can sometimes travel hundreds of miles before reaching the ground. Not sure how true that is though.

A few flurries in Fishkill too despite a good deal of blue skies. I'm guessing these very light snowflakes are being carried quite a ways from their origin. I remember reading somewhere that snowflakes can sometimes travel hundreds of miles before reaching the ground. Not sure how true that is though.

I haven't heard of them traveling that far, hundreds of miles, but they do travel a bit which is why radar isn't as reliable for snow as it is for rain typically.  

I haven't heard of them traveling that far, hundreds of miles, but they do travel a bit which is why radar isn't as reliable for snow as it is for rain typically.  

Found this on online, maybe that's where I read it:

http://www.acreslandtrust.org/snowflakes

"During a stronger storm with higher wind speeds, the lightest snowflakes may take up to two hours to reach the ground, possibly traveling 100 miles from the time they formed."

Bit of a coating here—I should probably document it as .1", but meh. At least the peasants got to enjoy a nice event. :D

In slightly more flabbergasting news, KPOU put up a daily departure of -25.7F yesterday, and is now running -11.8F for the month. That's just crazy.

Very cool. We only have 11 days left in February and it looks to stay cold. What are the odds we finish the month at -10 or lower?

Archived