• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

We should easily break the top 5 then. It's interesting they don't have data for that 93-00 period. I've often wondered how they could lose data in the age of computers.

There was a Flight Service Station located at POU up until the early 1990s that was responsible for weather observations. When it closed down weather observations became basic/sporadic especially when the control tower was closed at night.

http://www.atchistory.org/History/FacilityPhotos/NY/PoughkeepsieFSS_1972.htm

The lack of climate data in the time period you referenced may be the era between the Flight Service Station closure and the ASOS commissioning. The NWS Albany probably knows for sure.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a Flight Service Station located at POU up until the early 1990s that was responsible for weather observations. When it closed down weather observations became basic/sporadic especially when the control tower was closed at night.

The lack of climate data in the time period you referenced may be the era between the Flight Service Station closure and the ASOS commissioning. The NWS Albany probably knows for sure.

I was wondering about that as well - thanks for the info. Makes sense.

Drove down to the city for an appointment today. The roads are in pretty horrific shape, large potholes abound. There was a coating of snow while I was down there, and then ran into some nice pixie dust falling through Putnam County, especially around Fahnestock, where the Taconic was lightly snow covered. 

Great info, thanks!

This radar image looks pretty familiar.. squall line moving east, lake effect snow developing behind it, eastern New England receiving surprise snowfall. Shades of Saturday night.

I was looking at it a few hours ago thinking that it looked like a scaled down version of what happened Saturday.

The pros? But we have so many in the NYC threads, many of whom aren't even red taggers. I see no reason to listen to what the NWS has to say... ;)

You saw through my thinly veiled attempt at sarcasm?  :whistle:

Anyhow, during a winter in which there have been significant model fluctuations even within 24 hours, it's probably not wise of people to write off a system as a driving rain storm 4 days out. Let's hope the good trends continue.

i think we'll easily get below zero by midnight. With any luck, this overcast will minimize daytime heating most of the day, and burn off just in time to radiate. :thumbsup:

I like your thinking.

I was out in my yard yesterday shoveling out a downspout that sooner or later will be put back into use and I was impressed with how powdery the snow base is.  I didn't do any core samples or anything but its several layers of powder for sure IMBY

Yeah, I mean... we've been sandwiched between unprecedented LES to our west and unprecedented rapid-fire blizzards to our east. We can't stay in the snow hole forever, right? lol

hey bud what was the coldest temp u dropped to this year? I think tomorrow night can break it with radiational cooling for u guys up north?

I'm assuming I got in trouble for posting WXbell maps, can't post photos anymore lol, to be honest I really thouggt it didn't matter anymore since the maps are posted publicly on their Facebook almost everyday

What got deleted? If it was in the midst of the fight in the other thread my fat fingers may have deleted stuff by accident.

Archived