• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

Very cool. We only have 11 days left in February and it looks to stay cold. What are the odds we finish the month at -10 or lower?

I'd say it's quite likely. The GFS is still very cold through the end of the month, and while the numbers themselves are probably too cold (the 26th would be something like 32 degrees below normal, if you believed the 6z text output), the new upgrade has done pretty well with identifying general temperature trends I think.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say it's quite likely. The GFS is still very cold through the end of the month, and while the numbers themselves are probably too cold (the 26th would be something like 32 degrees below normal, if you believed the 6z text output), the new upgrade has done pretty well with identifying general temperature trends I think.

Yeah, the GFS has been running too cold, last week it showed high temps in the single digits from me this past weekend but it was warmer than that but, its all relative, its still below normal cold for sure.  

Closer to 4" than 3.5 of pure fluff out there.  Shoveling it felt like cheating  :snowing:   It's like all you're lifting is the weight of the shovel itself.

Are the ice boats out on the river yet?  I have the day off and want to take the wife and kids to see them.

If you're talking about the Coast Guard ice breakers then the answer is yes, they've been on the river for weeks now but there's no way to know exactly where they are operating at any given moment.  If you find them, pics please ;-)

The Hudson River Ice Yacht Club website says there's too much snow for the time being: http://www.hriyc.org/current.html

Closer to 4" than 3.5 of pure fluff out there.  Shoveling it felt like cheating  :snowing:   It's like all you're lifting is the weight of the shovel itself.

Are the ice boats out on the river yet?  I have the day off and want to take the wife and kids to see them.

The river looks pretty icky in terms of ice cover, lots of snow and slush from what I can see each morning.

Should we have a separate NW thread for whatever falls Thursday? Then we should have a separate NW thread for this weekend.  We probably should then have a separate thread for any potential for next week.  Of course we'll need separate NW OBS threads for each.  Oh, wait, how could I forget the cold and the end of the week again, need another NW thread for that too....good grief

:axe:  :axe:  :axe:       

Thankfully we aren't as feeble minded as those that reside south of 287. Must have something to do with the water.

lol. Well, after their positive bust today, they surely won't have any issue with us getting another two feet or so before month's end, per the GGEM. :whistle:

Seriously, I dig the weekend look. It's hard to go wrong with a long-duration overrunning event around here.

lol. Well, after their positive bust today, they surely won't have any issue with us getting another two feet or so before month's end, per the GGEM. :whistle:

Seriously, I dig the weekend look. It's hard to go wrong with a long-duration overrunning event around here.

Still plenty of opportunities for us out there in the near future.  

ok, here is the big question....Up in Putnam County.

Who would like to throw out some odds of us losing another school day before the 3rd week in march???

I'd say the real question is how many will you lose.  I saw your issue over in the banter thread.. Here's my advice, leave the wife and kids home to go to school and you go have the best freaking time you've ever had! 

I'd say the real question is how many will you lose.  I saw your issue over in the banter thread.. Here's my advice, leave the wife and kids home to go to school and you go have the best freaking time you've ever had! 

I better not let her look over my shoulder and see that quote....no doubt that plane would go down one way or another.

Is this Thursday am looking iffy now?

Thursday never looked like anything big to me. Maybe a 1" type deal as the front passes. Looks like an inverted trough might try to set up east of here, but that wouldn't affect us.

I think the weekend looks like a legit threat as of now for us. These types of systems always seem to be underdone on QPF, especially this far out, but the setup as Julian mentioned looks great. And given recent trends, I wouldn't bank on any meaningful precipitation falling as liquid at this point.

Here's a short video I captured on top of South Beacon Mountain yesterday morning. I apologize for the motion, it was very cold and windy and I had my gloves off to hold the phone more securely. It's also very loud from the wind, so if you watch it, turn the volume down a little. The fire tower is in the foreground shortly after the video starts. I wasn't going to unstrap the snowshoes to climb the fire tower. Plus I'm kinda scared of heights  :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpysjaFRpw0

Here's a link to my post in the picture thread with more pics

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44993-winter-2014-15-official-picture-thread/?p=3410070

Here's a short video I captured on top of South Beacon Mountain yesterday morning. I apologize for the motion, it was very cold and windy and I had my gloves off to hold the phone more securely. It's also very loud from the wind, so if you watch it, turn the volume down a little. The fire tower is in the foreground shortly after the video starts. I wasn't going to unstrap the snowshoes to climb the fire tower. Plus I'm kinda scared of heights :yikes:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44993-winter-2014-15-official-picture-thread/?p=3410070

Maybe you mentioned earlier, my apologies if you did, how long did it take you to get to the top?

Here's a short video I captured on top of South Beacon Mountain yesterday morning. I apologize for the motion, it was very cold and windy and I had my gloves off to hold the phone more securely. It's also very loud from the wind, so if you watch it, turn the volume down a little. The fire tower is in the foreground shortly after the video starts. I wasn't going to unstrap the snowshoes to climb the fire tower. Plus I'm kinda scared of heights  :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpysjaFRpw0

Wow, I feel cold just listening to that. Great stuff!

Archived