• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

You should... You radiate better than 99% of us.

If I'm not mistaken MGJ almost always comes in in the top 5 coldest reporting stations in the state. Awesome radiating location & unlike that phony location out in E LI you will stay cold when it matters lol..

JC in Millbrook does just as well, if not better.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JC in Millbrook does just as well, if not better.

He's the 1% lol..

Yeah, I have a nice weenie radiating spot out here. There's still ongoing CAA, though, and as noted above the cold is pretty uniform, so the playing field is pretty level. The benefits of airmass-driven cold are that different places can nab some impressive numbers, and that you don't have to deal with a 20-degree jump as soon as the sun creaks over the horizon. I'm not sure why that bothers me, but it always has... lol.

Currently a bit slow to cool, +0.7F

Just brutal..

Pretty remarkable.

I was just reading Buffalo's AFD and they set a new record low maximum for the date of 2 degrees. Coldest day since 1994. That reading occurred at midnight, though, and they dropped below zero shortly after and have stayed there since.

I'm really hoping CPK drops to zero (or lower) tonight to add another layer to this cold shot.

Well, the cold is the last holdout for a remarkable facet of the big storm system—snow and winds were both underwhelming imby, and I have to admit that I was expecting a more rapid drop in temps this evening. It's actually creeping up a bit; normally I would attribute that to the wind, but with -23C temps at 925 mb and -26C at 850, I'm not really sure where any milder air would be mixing down from, lol.

Well, the cold is the last holdout for a remarkable facet of the big storm system—snow and winds were both underwhelming imby, and I have to admit that I was expecting a more rapid drop in temps this evening. It's actually creeping up a bit; normally I would attribute that to the wind, but with -23C temps at 925 mb and -26C at 850, I'm not really sure where any milder air would be mixing down from, lol.

I've been wondering the same. Temps were dropping like a rock after sunset, but now they've almost leveled off. I'm down to 1, but it's been a very slow drop over the past few hours. I did record a -29 wind chill, so that was impressive.

A lot of talk about ratios in the forum. Someone should sum up all the pages of storm discussion threads at the end of the season and compare it to inches of snow this season in NYC. I'm guessing the ratios would be much higher than 10:1.

I've been wondering the same. Temps were dropping like a rock after sunset, but now they've almost leveled off. I'm down to 1, but it's been a very slow drop over the past few hours. I did record a -29 wind chill, so that was impressive.

A lot of talk about ratios in the forum. Someone should sum up all the pages of storm discussion threads at the end of the season and compare it to inches of snow this season in NYC. I'm guessing the ratios would be much higher than 10:1.

Hah, indeed. Like jm says, it's been worse than pulling teeth for the city and its environs. Nobody can say we didn't have enough to track, anyway...

I wonder if the NWbW flow is warming (or at least moderating) us adiabatically via downslope off the Catskills and Helderbergs, etc.

Hah, indeed. Like jm says, it's been worse than pulling teeth for the city and its environs. Nobody can say we didn't have enough to track, anyway...

I wonder if the NWbW flow is warming (or at least moderating) us adiabatically via downslope off the Catskills and Helderbergs, etc.

Yeah I wonder that too, often the coldest nights here are not ones with strong winds like this but rather normal 30 degree days with near -10 850s that happen to have calm winds at night. Just a hunch but I think this cold outbreak will underperform in the valleys.

Edit: The wind just finally died and it dropped 3 degrees in the last hour. Now down to -1. Anyone know what the record for POU is for tonight?

Yeah I wonder that too, often the coldest nights here are not ones with strong winds like this but rather normal 30 degree days with near -10 850s that happen to have calm winds at night. Just a hunch but I think this cold outbreak will underperform in the valleys.

Edit: The wind just finally died and it dropped 3 degrees in the last hour. Now down to -1. Anyone know what the record for POU is for tonight?

KPOU's record low for the 16th is -3F, set back in 1963... one of the warmest record lows for the month, actually. The station is at 2F now.

My low for the 15th goes down as -2.3.

Archived