e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did a 6 mile snowshoe this morning up to Mount Beacon, South Beacon Mountain and then along the ridge and down to the reservoir. Just a gorgeous winter morning, cold temperatures, blue sky, deep snow pack, you really can't ask for anything more. Wasn't too cold except on South Beacon, where winds were gusting to around 40 mph at times. Snow depth was about 15" with drifts in spots to about 3'. I'll post some more pictures in the picture thread later.

post-8457-0-94968700-1424106314_thumb.pn

Took this from an old thread.. Credit goes to Eduggs for this map. 

One can only dream :(

That was a nightmare storm up this way, .5" of slush followed by 38F rain in ALB meanwhile 3 feet of snow 15 miles to my west. Stationary front nearly paralleled the Hudson River for the entirety of that event.. one of the most dynamic systems in recent memory.

Did a 6 mile snowshoe this morning up to Mount Beacon, South Beacon Mountain and then along the ridge and down to the reservoir. Just a gorgeous winter morning, cold temperatures, blue sky, deep snow pack, you really can't ask for anything more. Wasn't too cold except on South Beacon, where winds were gusting to around 40 mph at times. Snow depth was about 15" with drifts in spots to about 3'. I'll post some more pictures in the picture thread later.

Sounds spectacular. Can't imagine there were many people on the trails this morning...

Got down to -9 here. Hoping to make another run at that towards the end of the week. POU I noticed was -11 at 7 53 AM which easily beat the previous record of -3.

-14, officially: http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=RERALB&e=201502161559

Video of snow blowing onto the roads in Montgomery today from Paul Jr of American Chopper fame.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=889073481155882&set=vb.127838953946009&type=2&theater

Yep, still blowing out here, plows still out doing battle. That video is just down the road from the photo I posted yesterday near KMGJ.

That was a nightmare storm up this way, .5" of slush followed by 38F rain in ALB meanwhile 3 feet of snow 15 miles to my west. Stationary front nearly paralleled the Hudson River for the entirety of that event.. one of the most dynamic systems in recent memory.

One of my all time favs. Soo many things happen with that storm that most have never seen before. 

One of my all time favs. Soo many things happen with that storm that most have never seen before. 

Pretty epic for Windham and Tannersville as well...I think they had 6 feet that storm lol...unfortunately Kingston/Poughkeepsie ended on the rainier side of things but the storm a day earlier was pretty good here with near 7" of cement.

Just dug out a core sample with a couple of pringles cans taped together. Snow depth was 11.5" with 2.25" LE. Roughly a 5:1 ratio.

Heh, nice. Do yourself a favor at some point and get a CoCoRaHs rain/snow gauge. It's $30 last I checked, which might be steep for some non-essential pieces of plastic, but after screwing around with enough coffee cans and mutilated water bottles, I've found the convenience and accuracy well worth it.

Anyway, that reading is very consistent with my core sample from yesterday, which yielded just under a 5:1 ratio. I think compaction has plateaued for now, which is good.

I agree ;)

This is exactly why having a storm thread created 7-10 days out from events is ludicrous...some posters need to take off the snow goggles

Forget the fact that its like 42 pages for .1 to .2 le for most, the utter whining and nastiness is intolerable. The poster who was trolling you says 25 years of posting but he truly sounds like someone about 14, seriously.

Archived