• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

I'm not sure how creating the threads affects ones snow goggles but I agree it's ridiculous how many different threads get created.

Creating a thread that far in advanced is bound to cause people to grasp on to 1 or 2 model runs in that time frame, that show "big storm" instead of letting them play their flip flop game as always, then zero in on what the models really say in the 72-96hr time frame... Doing PBP of 18z model runs 7-10 days out is just begging for madness

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good day weather fans,

High today was 16

low was  10 below. noticed many HVAC & plumbers out today.

current temp is 8F

Really impressve cold for the month. Temps look to continue to drop below zero this week.

Friday is predicted to crack negative 7 on the point and click.

To polish off the cold an inch or 2 of snow is possible to boot late tonight into tomorrow.

Best

Creating a thread that far in advanced is bound to cause people to grasp on to 1 or 2 model runs in that time frame, that show "big storm" instead of letting them play their flip flop game as always, then zero in on what the models really say in the 72-96hr time frame... Doing PBP of 18z model runs 7-10 days out is just begging for madness

Generally, discussion of storm threats occurs in the monthly thread, then when the threat is legit (lets say consistency inside of 3 to maybe 4 days at best), a storm thread is created. This hasn't really been happening lately (as you said, some of them, like for this "storm" have existed for over a week), but it may be due to the fact that there hasn't been as much moderator coverage in this region until recently. Maybe things will change now. If you read the NE forum, they created a thread for the same event a few days ago, but it was locked by one of the moderators until it was in closer.

In any event, whether the threads are created a day or a week in advance, there is still going to be the same drama, arguing about who gets the most snow, who gets shafted, how much Boston is getting, someone posting it will never snow again in the history of the planet, someone wishing for winter to end already, and the typical bs between a few posters that continually like to throw each other under the bus. Honestly, I've found that if you don't like what someone has to say, just let it go. By engaging them, it often just makes things worse. By and large, many here on this forum think they are amateur weather people and know more than the next guy. So when you say something they don't agree with, the natural inclination is to argue about it, not engage in meaningful debate over it. That's one reason why I love this thread so much, we have a nice mix of incredibly knowledgeable posters along with some enthusiast types that are willing to take off their snow goggles once in a while, learn from others, and embrace the weather for what it is.

Generally, discussion of storm threats occurs in the monthly thread, then when the threat is legit (lets say consistency inside of 3 to maybe 4 days at best), a storm thread is created. This hasn't really been happening lately (as you said, some of them, like for this "storm" have existed for over a week), but it may be due to the fact that there hasn't been as much moderator coverage in this region until recently. Maybe things will change now. If you read the NE forum, they created a thread for the same event a few days ago, but it was locked by one of the moderators until it was in closer.

In any event, whether the threads are created a day or a week in advance, there is still going to be the same drama, arguing about who gets the most snow, who gets shafted, how much Boston is getting, someone posting it will never snow again in the history of the planet, someone wishing for winter to end already, and the typical bs between a few posters that continually like to throw each other under the bus. Honestly, I've found that if you don't like what someone has to say, just let it go. By engaging them, it often just makes things worse. By and large, many here on this forum think they are amateur weather people and know more than the next guy. So when you say something they don't agree with, the natural inclination is to argue about it, not engage in meaningful debate over it. That's one reason why I love this thread so much, we have a nice mix of incredibly knowledgeable posters along with some enthusiast types that are willing to take off their snow goggles once in a while and embrace the weather for what it is.

I don't even mind the thread being started early as oppose to the fact that PBP are done for and expected 5+ days out.

Threads are much more enjoyable if people can have conversation and that doesn't mean everyone agrees. It's ok to agree to disagree but there are some thin skinned overly defensive folks in those threads. And why the hell do they feel like they HAVE to be right all the time? To steal some U2 lyrics if I may, "I knew much more then than I do now" which to me means, the more I learn the more I realize there's so much more to learn and understand. Unfortunately though there's a ton of 'experts' there who don't need to learn anything else...

Threads are much more enjoyable if people can have conversation and that doesn't mean everyone agrees. It's ok to agree to disagree but there are some thin skinned overly defensive folks in those threads. And why the hell do they feel like they HAVE to be right all the time? To steal some U2 lyrics if I may, "I knew much more then than I do now" which to me means, the more I learn the more I realize there's so much more to learn and understand. Unfortunately though there's a ton of 'experts' there who don't need to learn anything else...

Agreed

I don't even mind the thread being started early as oppose to the fact that PBP are done for and expected 5+ days out.

I don't believe that PBP's should be done for any model except the Euro, but that's just my opinion. I'm not sure how it adds to the overall discussion, other than creating tension about trivial things like maximum QPF placement 3 days out.

I'm not sure if this "I'm always right" mentality always existed and it wasn't blatantly obvious before social media due to the inability to interact with thousands of people at any one time, or if it's a by-product of such and always having the defense of a computer screen.

I've significantly cut down on the amount of time I spend on Facebook for that reason. Everyone thinks they are an expert at everything. It's fun when you're in the medical profession and people think they know more than you do. I'm very open-minded and I always give my patients a say in their management, but sometimes they go a bit too far.

Yeah i try not to delete to much "banter" in the storm threads during down time, or when the feelings are good, lol. I dont want this to turn into s2k, so im trying to be careful not to overmoderate, even if i should lean that way for now. That being said, im gonna be coming down hard on any whining and any personal attacks...even the rampant weenieism isnt a big deal if people would just discuss it rationally. If science cant sway a position, then its time for deletions lol.

Yeah i try not to delete to much "banter" in the storm threads during down time, or when the feelings are good, lol. I dont want this to turn into s2k, so im trying to be careful not to overmoderate, even if i should lean that way for now. That being said, im gonna be coming down hard on any whining and any personal attacks...even the rampant weenieism isnt a big deal if people would just discuss it rationally. If science cant sway a position, then its time for deletions lol.

I hope you have a waterproof device so you can mod while playing with bubbles in the hot tub...

I'm not sure if this "I'm always right" mentality always existed and it wasn't blatantly obvious before social media due to the inability to interact with thousands of people at any one time, or if it's a by-product of such and always having the defense of a computer screen.

I've significantly cut down on the amount of time I spend on Facebook for that reason. Everyone thinks they are an expert at everything. It's fun when you're in the medical profession and people think they know more than you do. I'm very open-minded and I always give my patients a say in their management, but sometimes they go a bit too far.

I think it has everything to do with communicating to a screen, there's a lot of Keyboard Kowboys out there.

I don't believe that PBP's should be done for any model except the Euro, but that's just my opinion. I'm not sure how it adds to the overall discussion, other than creating tension about trivial things like maximum QPF placement 3 days out.

+10. It's just a way for people to boost their post counts. Nobody benefits from rapid-fire snippets of out-of-context model interpretations.

+10. It's just a way for people to boost their post counts. Nobody benefits from rapid-fire snippets of out-of-context model interpretations.

And that's a feeding circle because I'm willing to bet that the folks who purposely try to boost their post count also assume that someone who has a high post count must really know what they are talking about...not necessarily true at all.

I think it has everything to do with communicating to a screen, there's a lot of Keyboard Kowboys out there.

Yup, and the internet is a veritable breeding ground for confirmation biases. Online, one can read countless webpages and documents, speak with thousands of people, and perpetuate an entire belief system, all without ever encountering a differing viewpoint... or even an intellectually stimulating one, for that matter. Then when you do have to reemerge into the real world, you have no reason to entertain a new idea or defer to an expert on anything. As more and more of these renegades band together, you have to fight to convince the open-minded that vaccines don't cause autism, a planetary syzygy can't negate the effects of gravity, and you won't get 6" of snow with no model support for any precipitation :)

Im starting to think maybe DT is ARN3 of the SREFs lol..

Ha! You might be on to something there!

Yup, and the internet is a veritable breeding ground for confirmation biases. Online, one can read countless webpages and documents, speak with thousands of people, and perpetuate an entire belief system, all without ever encountering a differing viewpoint... or even an intellectually stimulating one, for that matter. Then when you do have to reemerge into the real world, you have no reason to entertain a new idea or defer to an expert on anything. As more and more of these renegades band together, you have to fight to convince the open-minded that vaccines don't cause autism, a planetary syzygy can't negate the effects of gravity, and you won't get 6" of snow with no model support for any precipitation :)

Does this mean I'm not getting the 5" of snow that the SREF's are promising me?  :cry:  Seriously though, you hit the nail on the head. Very well said.

As far as the weather goes, about a year ago today we were tracking our last meaningful snowfall of the season (2/18 I believe). Let's hope that late February and March produce this year for us.

"There's so many different worlds

So many different suns

And we have just one world

But we live in different ones"

Archived