amirah5
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those interested in the ice issues on the Hudson:

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2015/February/19/stuck_tug-18FEb15.html

Just took a ride past the waterfront in Newburgh. Ice is from one side to the other. Just a small path in the channel that the Coast Guard cutters are breaking up. Below 0 temps for the next two nights will thicken it up even more.

Just took a ride past the waterfront in Newburgh. Ice is from one side to the other. Just a small path in the channel that the Coast Guard cutters are breaking up. Below 0 temps for the next two nights will thicken it up even more.

My grandfather says they used to take horse and buggy across the river for firewood etc, can't imagine lol

Lmao, sitting down at the helo pad at work by the river, just saw an eagle chilling on a ice block cruisin down the river, went to take a pic but he was pretty far away

Neat. It's great that the eagle population has rebounded so nicely. You can pretty much count on spotting a couple if you spend the day by the river.

I haven't really had a chance to look at models today, but the Euro for next Wednesday caught my eye for obvious reasons. The OP GFS looks pretty flat (at least at 18z), but I like the look of the ensembles. Looks somewhat similar to the OP Euro at the same point. The axis of heaviest precipitation is just to the east like the Euro, and there are definitely some members that are flat, but it looks like a legit threat. And I think the 24th/25th has been pretty consistent as a signal for several runs now. Many days out but something to keep an eye on.

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_24.png

gfs-ens_apcpn24_eus_25.png

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about this weekend, and somehow, snow is always just a bit more enjoyable when you have another threat on the horizon. :) Deep winter marches on. 5.6" gets me to 60", so that's my goal for Sunday. I'd guess we get a little less than that but the potential is there, to be sure.

5.4F and dropping slooooowly. Gonna be a nail-biter to see if the streak continues...

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about this weekend, and somehow, snow is always just a bit more enjoyable when you have another threat on the horizon. :) Deep winter marches on. 5.6" gets me to 60", so that's my goal for Sunday. I'd guess we get a little less than that but the potential is there, to be sure.

5.4F and dropping slooooowly. Gonna be a nail-biter to see if the streak continues...

As for the streak for me its either going to stop at 6 days or jump to 8 days in a row. Even if it stops at 6 it will be 7 of 8 days or even 8 of 9 days with below 0 lows, rather impressive regardless.

They LOVE the tropicaltidbits snow maps...I find that system to be a bigger weenie map than any wxbell map, idc what algorithm they supposedly use.. No way northern Jersey is 6+" on that nam run... Ratios are between 8-10:1

I doubt that any snow map algorithm accounts for this, but when you get a near-freezing isothermal layer just above the surface, you can aggregate flakes and potentially increase ratios*.

*Unless the aggregates are so big that they sort of implode on impact, in which case your snowfall becomes denser again...

Archived