Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014/15

snywx

Storm King ftl.. Used to dread that drive when I lived in New Windsor

When I was a kid growing up in New Windsor we'd race over the mountain...yeah, I'm surprised too that I'm here to talk about it. Besides that, I crossed it many times when I had my football season tickets and I'd go to a couple hockey games a year too.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a kid growing up in New Windsor we'd race over the mountain...yeah, I'm surprised too that I'm here to talk about it. Besides that, I crossed it many times when I had my football season tickets and I'd go to a couple hockey games a year too.

They have a Facebook page just for the mountain, where all the West Point house wives can go on and bit*+ about the DOT and how the roads aren't bare while its snowing lmao

How's Bubbles? I assume you're reporting live from Lake Placid this weekend?

I is. I forgot the damn bubbles, so no frozen bubbles tricks this weekend :( . I did the boiling water trick for my son, doesnt work that well at 2 degrees, lol. Gonna try again in a bit when we get to -5 or so.

I is. I forgot the damn bubbles, so no frozen bubbles tricks this weekend :( . I did the boiling water trick for my son, doesnt work that well at 2 degrees, lol. Gonna try again in a bit when we get to -5 or so.

I'm impressed you figured out how to boil water. It's colder here than it is there, go figure. What's the snowpack like there?

I'm impressed you figured out how to boil water. It's colder here than it is there, go figure. What's the snowpack like there?

I had my wife use the coffee maker in the hotel, otherwise i was just gonna use wd 40 and a match.

Havent ventured off main street yet to see, ill check the snow in the morning. Going snowshoeing and sleighriding.

From 200' to 1350' on 9w in about 2 mins. Temps usually run 5 degrees colder up there consistently. 

Ugh. You're making me even more nervous!

I wish there was a public road all the way up to Schnemunk Mtn. Highest point in the county. Awesome hike and sticks out like a sore thumb too.

I've always wanted to hike that one. It's actually a little higher than South Beacon mountain, though I believe it's a distinct ridge, not technically part of the Hudson Highlands.

Did you guys see the news reporters in Alabama that put cups of water outside and were amazed that the water froze?  :axe:

Hahaha yeah i saw that. I should have filmed my fail and sent it to them.

A few years ago we did it with a 3 gallon bucket at -18 or so. Forgot to check to make sure no one was below our balcony. Lotta microclimates around here , poor guy got caught in a freak blizzard.

How high is south beacon mtn? I believe schnemunk is just under 1700'

I believe South Beacon is 1610. I just looked up Schnemunk and it looks like 1664? Though I saw a couple different numbers listed. It's impressive to look at from a distance, in that it's all by itself and several miles long. Is it a difficult hike?

I believe South Beacon is 1610. I just looked up Schnemunk and it looks like 1664? Though I saw a couple different numbers listed. It's impressive to look at from a distance, in that it's all by itself and several miles long. Is it a difficult hike?

It's more of a plateau then anything else. They also say its completely separate from the Hudson highlands. Not a difficult hike at all. Just watch out for the rattlesnakes. Huge timber rattler den

00z NAM is still pretty good precip wise for the lower HV, looks like it mixes up to POU though. Not diggin' the downslope hole over my head still.

Is that common in this setup? I don't recall ever seeing such drastic downslope effects in that area. As far as the mixing goes, the line has generally stayed south of Poughkeepsie for just about every similar storm this winter. I'm going to lean with persistence and say that it stays south til most, if not all, of the precipitation has ended.

Archived