joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Obs/Weenie disco thread for SWFE to coastal Feb 2

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we get some of the folks up in Luneneberg, ORH ,Interior Route 2 Areas to get some some snow depth measurements today. 

There's got to be some 50 inch depths up there in places

That's assuming 50 inches actually fell in the first place. The wind and settling really does a number on the overall depth. We're pushing 40 inches of snow in the last week at GYX and can't get above 28 inches on the ground.

That's assuming 50 inches actually fell in the first place. The wind and settling really does a number on the overall depth. We're pushing 40 inches of snow in the last week at GYX and can't get above 28 inches on the ground.

We need to infuse some moisture into this snow

Finished with 7.5" on 0.53" LE.  The fluffy top 3" settled overnight so that depth was 30" this morning.  Had 36.6" with 3.25" LE from the three storms (1/24 was a miss) which fell atop 8" of near-bulletproof pack - probably close to 3" in that layer, so about 6" total.  I have a somewhat limited area from which I can take cores (when it's 2 ft plus, one must dig a wide hole), so I usually don't begin sampling until later this month, so as to retain "uncorrupted" spots for future cores.  Would be nice to have one of those 5-ft aluminum core samplers like USGS uses, but that's out of my price range..

To put things into perspective, the following week has been a special one, especially on Long Island and in New England. Below is a table with 7-day snowfall totals and seasonal totals to date for select cities for the January 26, 2015 - February 2, 2015 timeframe.

Week01262015thru02022015.jpg

A forgotten corner of New England Eastport Maine  has has 76 inches in that time period and Machias 65

Finished with 7.5" on 0.53" LE.  The fluffy top 3" settled overnight so that depth was 30" this morning.  Had 36.6" with 3.25" LE from the three storms (1/24 was a miss) which fell atop 8" of near-bulletproof pack - probably close to 3" in that layer, so about 6" total.  I have a somewhat limited area from which I can take cores (when it's 2 ft plus, one must dig a wide hole), so I usually don't begin sampling until later this month, so as to retain "uncorrupted" spots for future cores.  Would be nice to have one of those 5-ft aluminum core samplers like USGS uses, but that's out of my price range..

Our hydrologist is out in the field today doing core samples to get an idea of how much water we have sitting on the ground.

Our hydrologist is out in the field today doing core samples to get an idea of how much water we have sitting on the ground.

Do you guys give out those 5-foot Adirondacks snow samplers to your observers? 

I'm curious as to how this next round of snow surveys go... the last ones I think I had around 5" of liquid at 1,500ft and closer to 10" up high.  Can't remember the specific values off the top of my head.  We haven't gotten a ton of QPF in the last two weeks but I bet its bumped up 1-2" on the mountain.

Do you guys give out those 5-foot Adirondacks snow samplers to your observers? 

I'm curious as to how this next round of snow surveys go... the last ones I think I had around 5" of liquid at 1,500ft and closer to 10" up high.  Can't remember the specific values off the top of my head.  We haven't gotten a ton of QPF in the last two weeks but I bet its bumped up 1-2" on the mountain.

I doubt we do, though admittedly not my area of expertise here.

I'm pretty sure we do the old fashioned way of punching the snow with the standard 8" tube and melting it down.

In the past 10 days I think I've gotten the following:

8" from first storm

33" from Blizzard

3" from Friday's storm (although this is only a guess since I bailed to head north for the weekend)

15.5" from Lowell spotter for yesterday/night's storm

59.5" in 10 days. 

This is something you'd expect downwind of Lake Ontario, Erie or Superior. Shades of college ski race weekends in Houghton, Michigan. Almost like the Atlantic moved to our northwest.

Getting closer to 2011 levels. Thursday's storm will help, but Monday should get us there

8550EEE4-EC82-446E-9803-3AE3DC87AF60_zps

The snows around here have been very dry (with the exception of the Jan 24th snow which was wet in second half of storm). Underneath that I was basically down to 1/2" of ice/bare ground. This is still compacting every day.

What my picnic table looks like since blizzard (wish I hadn't cleared it from the 8" from the first storm)

post-1709-0-99935500-1422986404_thumb.jp

Archived