• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part III

Atomixwx

Boston is going to have nightmare scenarios by next Monday. Roof collapses, etc all have to be very close and with another foot and high winds, yikes.

Not to mention if the potential after Presidents Day system cuts in enough along the coastline where the Boston metro ends up with some kind of a mixing scenario and weighs the pack even more. 

Speaking of that system,  I guess i'll talk about it a bit. I suspect that once again we will be riding the fine line if we get a more wound up system that taps in some southern stream energy. This time the positioning of the deep eastern trough might come more into play instead of a SWFE type scenario thats more latitudinal (better chance for snows the farther north you are). Models kind of have this mean trough digging at a point where I'm a bit uncomfortable of it being positioned too far west and allowing the wave to cut in too far. Not particularly worried about it being a full fledged lakes cutter (unless we get a major phase).. but it's going to be another nail biter for our region as we get closer to go time. Right now the wave has looked progressive, 0z GFS coming in for example has a positively tilted open 500 trough swinging behind the surface wave running up the coast. Some mixing issues would probably be introduced in the far southern tier and SE PA per the GFS, but generally mainly snow for the rest attm. Progressive might be a good thing, I think if this thing were to really dig and phase we'd be talking about a big cutter and big issues where the feet of snow are. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro snowmap including next week's system...

S6xNINM.jpg

Totals on that map remind me of the 21" shown on the Euro for 240 hrs. prior to the last storm; the one where we ended up with a few flakes at UNV. Here we go again.

FYI - EuroWx has added grid values to some of their maps - including the Accumulated Snow map. Also many improvements to the look and functionality of the site. And an instructional video:

Euro snowmap including next week's system...

Holy **** haha. I was wondering what the Eurowx map was going to show for that, the ridiculousness in Maine and the 24+ in the PA laurels is likely incorporating the clipper system that drops down and blows up off New England as well as adding a bit overall to the rest of the region. Still though, leave it to the Euro to throw up a crazy evolution for next weeks system (two pronged strike). 

I still think the Saturday clipper can offer up a half decent snowfall somewhere in the region.

And then a week later I lost over 3' of snowcover in 12 hours and the Susky went wild...

Since that time, i always worry about this. That was so destructive. i was young. but remember the '72 flood and i can tell you there is a huge difference with regular flooding and one in the winter when the river raises with all that ice, its an erie sight. and the sounds the creaking ice make will raise the hair on your neck.

Great runs by Euro and GFS last night!

Both bring near 12+ to all of the LSV.

another tease that will be tough to become reality...

Like MAG mentioned, having a high to our east instead of our north would lead to potential to cut based on these runs... just a matter of where

Yeah.  Was pretty intense but extremely short duration.  Have a look at 4km NAM sim radar for Saturday afternoon. (18z and 21z)  Now that would be a squall line.

With how strong this front is I could believe it. I imagine some places in centre county will be making a run at -10 Sunday night

With how strong this front is I could believe it. I imagine some places in centre county will be making a run at -10 Sunday night

Yeah as CTP has mentioned, if we go clear and calm for a couple of hours early Monday morning, watch out.  Most likely candidates probably Clarence, Port Matilda, and Bellefonte.

Yeah.  Was pretty intense but extremely short duration.  Have a look at 4km NAM sim radar for Saturday afternoon. (18z and 21z)  Now that would be a squall line.

And you know what, Eric Horst just tweeted about the exact same thing. He said any meteorolgist worth his salt would be giddy looking at that. Shoot, that has me excited!

I remember one time years ago when this intense squall line came tearing through the state. I was a kid, but I remember it being warned by the NWS just like a summertime line of severe storms is. That squall line dropped nearly 3" of snow in about an hour down here in Lanco. We've never seen anything close to that from a squall line since. That had to be back in the late 70s I would guess.

And you know what, Eric Horst just tweeted about the exact same thing. He said any meteorolgist worth his salt would be giddy looking at that. Shoot, that has me excited!

I remember one time years ago when this intense squall line came tearing through the state. I was a kid, but I remember it being warned by the NWS just like a summertime line of severe storms is. That squall line dropped nearly 3" of snow in about an hour down here in Lanco. We've never seen anything close to that from a squall line since. That had to be back in the late 70s I would guess.

We had a squall line a few winters ago (my first winter in State College) one night that was extremely intense. By far the heaviest snow I've ever seen. It dropped nearly an inch, but only lasted about 15 minutes.

If I remember correctly, it was in a similar situation. That's pretty much what I'm expecting out of this one, too... a very intense, very short-lived squall line.

Archived