Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part III

Atomixwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you know what, Eric Horst just tweeted about the exact same thing. He said any meteorolgist worth his salt would be giddy looking at that. Shoot, that has me excited!

I remember one time years ago when this intense squall line came tearing through the state. I was a kid, but I remember it being warned by the NWS just like a summertime line of severe storms is. That squall line dropped nearly 3" of snow in about an hour down here in Lanco. We've never seen anything close to that from a squall line since. That had to be back in the late 70s I would guess.

Dont kow if the same squall but in 83 84 or 85 when leaving a basketball game a line went through and dropped about 3 inches in an hour and it was the first time I saw thundersnow. I went to Eastern York High.

Dont kow if the same squall but in 83 84 or 85 when leaving a basketball game a line went through and dropped about 3 inches in an hour and it was the first time I saw thundersnow. I went to Eastern York High.

Hmm...well, the event I'm talking about ocurred right around 4pm and I was still in school (graduated in '83) so I think these are different events. I remember being somewhat afraid of thunderstorms as a kid, and this was the first and only time I can ever recall the sky getting pitch black to the west just like it does before a summer storm. Everything about it was like a thunderstorm...except that this unleashed a whiteout of snow that excited me more than any 6+ event ever did as a kid. I will never forget it.

It's been relatively nice out so far today but it's getting cold out there now with the wind. CTP has us cracking 0 tonight and adjusted temps downward a bit for late this weekend it seems

Yikes, yeah...now have us -3 Sunday morning, high of 3 Sunday, low of -9 Monday morning.  Sunday is just gonna be brutal, about as bad as it gets around here, especially first half of the day with the wind.

Yikes, yeah...now have us -3 Sunday morning, high of 3 Sunday, low of -9 Monday morning.  Sunday is just gonna be brutal, about as bad as it gets around here, especially first half of the day with the wind.

Do they ever have school delays/cancellations due to cold up here? I remember a 2 hr delay way back down in Atlanta in the early 2000s, I think we were in the low single digits that morning. Although I imagine the kids up here are a bit more prepared for the cold...

Do they ever have school delays/cancellations due to cold up here? I remember a 2 hr delay way back down in Atlanta in the early 2000s, I think we were in the low single digits that morning. Although I imagine the kids up here are a bit more prepared for the cold...

Yep we do as well.

I think many may have even closed last year during the brutal early January arctic outbreak. I expect some 2 hour delays Monday morning.

Sigh, this happened again today... least there were no serious injuries. Was scrolling f-book and first thought I was looking at a pic of a train derailment. CTP even made specific mention in their AFD yesterday that they made efforts to notify the I-80 corridor of the snow squall threat today. 

ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP THRU MOST OF CENTRAL PA BTWN 12Z-18Z
THU BASED ON 12Z GUIDANCE AND BTV SNSQ PARAMETER. SENT I80 EMAIL
NOTIFICATION FOR LINE OF SQUALLS EXPECTED TO CROSS CENTRAL PA THU
MORNING INTO THU AFTERNOON.

post-1507-0-68168700-1423779134_thumb.jp

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/story/d/story/20-mile-stretch-of-i-80-closed/29387/aEXW_Pxr8UuxITjmmimhcg

From the 12z GFS for UNV:

post-869-0-87001000-1423779157_thumb.png

That would be a pretty nice lake-effect sounding with a moist layer height near 650 mb and relatively low shear. Of course we wouldn't realize quite the same parcel instability-driven vertical motion with little low-level heat and moisture fluxes. Still, this would be a favorable environment for the development and maintenance of snow squalls.

There also looks to be decent synoptic/mesoscale lift to enhance this feature as it makes its way through PA Saturday. Not a bad look at 500 mb with the enhanced vorticity associated with the surface low and cold front moving through PA.

VORT500gfs212F60.png

Archived