Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part III

Atomixwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the forecast disco seems there may be some squalls around tomorrow and they even said they should make it well into the Susq. Valley. Any mets see a good 20 min squall as a possibility?

I see it more like a certainty than a possibility... Surface-850 lapse rates are progged to be ridiculous tomorrow afternoon.

GFS 18z tomorrow (Euro lapses are even higher)

post-1507-0-81104500-1423687637_thumb.pn

Reading the forecast disco seems there may be some squalls around tomorrow and they even said they should make it well into the Susq. Valley. Any mets see a good 20 min squall as a possibility?

Pretty much echoing what Mag said. Tomorrow afternoon into evening should have numerous snow squalls present in the forecast area. The area of precip will be convective in nature with pretty incredible amount of PVA swinging through the LSV. The potential is there for pre frontal, FROPA and post frontal snow shower/squall capability. With that much lift, I wouldn't be surprised if areas can pick up an inch of snow in a brief period of time, but more like coating to 1/2" in most locales. These next 2-3 cold shots mean business.

Boston is going to have nightmare scenarios by next Monday. Roof collapses, etc all have to be very close and with another foot and high winds, yikes.

I'd be in weenie heaven given that I'm able to work from home and classes would (presumably) be canceled if that occurred here. Although 69" in 30 days (as recorded at Boston) has to be just about statistically impossible for State College.

I'd be in weenie heaven given that I'm able to work from home and classes would (presumably) be canceled if that occurred here. Although 69" in 30 days (as recorded at Boston) has to be just about statistically impossible for State College.

We had like 45" in 5 days or whatever in Feb 2010 so I think it could happen.

It would be exceedingly rare of course, but probably doable in the right pattern. The early-mid 90s winters had some crazy periods:

2/12/93-3/14/93: 63.8"

2/4/94-3/4/94: 58"

12/19/95-1/13/96: 50.1"

Also:

3/3/1942-3/31/1942: 47.5"

Archived