Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally made it to your neck of the woods! :) I'm currently sitting in my truck at the Scituate lighthouse on Cedar Point...trying to fully restore feeling to my fingers.

Also, I'm trying to determine whether just to stay here and film from the "Point", or go a little further south to either Marshfield (at the point there) or to Plymouth-where winds are forecast to be above HF?

Scituate Light in the AM at high tide

Thanks so much! May I ask how close to the rock jettie do you think I can get without risking my truck being endangered by the overwash?

4:30 am high tide, I would be there earlier in case you are under water by then.

3.5 -3.8 foot storm surge and Moderately high Astronomical high tide levels plus Very large breaking waves and on shore winds.....I don't know the ins and outs of that area but I hope it is elevated lol

Ginxy what about Marshfield and or Egypt Beach...I mean man Scituate light is an island ...does Rebecca Road usually get flooded

LGA airport NYC 2 inches (last hr!)

That extremely narrow band of S++ is from like Queens thru N extreme side of Long island and not moving....very cool to see . while S side of NYC sees nada ....jumpin out to an early lead with reports of 3.5" in Northern Queens to Long Island  30-35 dbz there

Had a moderate burst earlier this morning that added up to a solid 1/4-1/2" coating on everything. Now just flurries but wind is picking up. Sustained at 13 gusting to 22 now. Temp up to 24 degrees as well. You can feel the storm coming in the air! Gonna be fun!

Looks like we should be updating our avatars   :snowing:

Storms looks much further northeast than modeled.  Look at Visible satellite imagery, it shows the developing offshore low about 100 miles east of the Outer Banks of NC.  Go to google.com and put into the search box adds satellite, then click on loop and visible.

? 100 miles NE of modeled ....don't see it . It's all about where this fully closes and is captured and I don't trust any models to say where that will happen.

I would not be shocked if this bomb closes faster

Storms looks much further northeast than modeled.  Look at Visible satellite imagery, it shows the developing offshore low about 100 miles east of the Outer Banks of NC.  Go to google.com and put into the search box adds satellite, then click on loop and visible.

You're definitely seeing things. Look where HPC put the low at 18z.

Band starting to pivot towards SW to NE orientation and then more towards a east to west orientation.  It is also getting bigger.  Also I think the surface low is strengthening some 100 miles east of the NC coastline.  Visible satellite imagery suggests this is occurring.

Where you think the low is based on visible and where spc mesoanalysis has it is probably off by 100 miles.

Looks like we should be updating our avatars   :snowing:

Who would've thought we'd have an image to work with worthy of replacing yours this winter? Picking up minute by minute out there... I prefer larger flakes, but with snow we are all beggars, and beggars can't be choosers.

Also: beer.

Who would've thought we'd have an image to work with worthy of replacing yours this winter? Picking up minute by minute out there... 

Also: beer.

Honestly I was very happy thinking the 13' Blizz would have been the largest storm I see in my lifetime. 2 years later, expecting something even bigger. Hard to wrap my head around it.

And yes, beers galore tonight and tomorrow. I'll even leave one out to please the Gods (also, thanks for sending this storm mister Zeus)

See if we can pull a Doug Flutie "Hail Mary" here in TAN and get my seasonal snowfall average in one storm.  How epic would that be?

Epic for sure, though I think a bit of a stretch. Nonetheless, this storm unquestionably puts this winter back in the game in general for many.

Combined with the past weekend, suddenly "will it ever snow" is "if anything falls in February, it's above normal for the season" for a lot of places.

Archived