Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part II

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=CTP&issuedby=CTP&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

CONSENSUS BUILDING FOR A MODERATE SNOWSTORM TO AFFECT MUCH OF

CENTRAL PA SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY MORNING. TOUCHED UP QPF

AND SNOWFALL GRIDS FOR THAT TIMEFRAME...INDICATING AT LEAST

ADVISORY CRITERIA SNOWFALL. CONSENSUS OF 00Z MODEL SUITE IS FOR

CENTRAL PA TO BE IN THE SWEET SPOT...AND IT APPEARS THAT WARNING

CRITERIA SNOWFALL IS AN INCREASING THREAT GIVEN LATEST GUIDANCE

TRENDS. STILL TOO EARLY FOR HEADLINE ISSUANCES FOR FOR A 5TH

PERIOD AND BEYOND EVENT.

ANOTHER SHOT OF COLD AIR IN FOR MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUE...AS

HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS IN FROM THE PLAINS.

MODELS HINT AT ANOTHER LOW TRACKING NEAR THE AREA ON WED.

HAVE LOW END POPS FOR SNOW. MORE COLD AIR BEHIND THAT SYSTEM.

a little but almost within 48 hours of start for there... wonder if state college will do same in a few hours

I'm pretty sure that the criteria timing-wise for issuance for a WSW is a lead time of no greater than 36 hours from the start of the event.  If that is the case WSW's go up overnight with the morning package.

I'm pretty sure that the criteria timing-wise for issuance for a WSW is a lead time of no greater than 36 hours from the start of the event. If that is the case WSW's go up overnight with the morning package.

I've seen watches go up around 48hrs before the event in the case of a pretty high confidence event, but I do think CTP will want to see another round of consistent model runs tonight before pulling the trigger.

I'm pretty sure that the criteria timing-wise for issuance for a WSW is a lead time of no greater than 36 hours from the start of the event.  If that is the case WSW's go up overnight with the morning package.

their definition says "Possibility that Warning Criteria may be met at longer ranges (24 to 48 hrs out)." but after mentioning earlier in the week about how communication and coordination between offices needs to improve I thought there could be a chance.  From what pawatch posted it does not look to be the case.  I wouldnt be surprised to see an exception to the 48 hour thing if the offices are thinking to get message out this afternoon since it is less likely people will be watching news/following weather over a weekend and especially on Sunday this weekend.  PBZ going early has caused a gap in northern ohio though...

Fantastic Euro run, unloads squarely on everyone in PA. 850 0 line flirts around extreme SW PA at 66 and gets just to the Mason-Dixon towards Philly hour 72. -4ºC 850 line running roughly the turnpike, -8ºC 850 running roughly I-80 at 66 and 72 during the height of the storm. 

Definitely a bit North as compared to 0z at 48

looks fairly similar to 0z to me except a little wetter... low is slightly stronger by 12z monday morning so of course it pushes 0C 850mb line slightly further north.  Not nearly as strong with system as UKMET that tracks through PA... almost a 10 mb difference between UKMET and Euro/GFS

Archived