Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part II

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm liking the 6-8" call for State College by CTP. In my limited experience, it seems pretty rare to get 10-12"+ up here compared to places like Philly/NYC which, while getting less snow per season on average, cash out on the coastals.

You have to be careful with these types of storms though, then tend to be what our area does very well with. I would not be the least bit surprised to see double digit totals somewhere in CPA.

I'm liking the 6-8" call for State College by CTP. In my limited experience, it seems pretty rare to get 10-12"+ up here compared to places like Philly/NYC which, while getting less snow per season on average, cash out on the coastals.

I was recently looking back through State College snowfall records for 12" storms and while the huge storms have been lacking recently, I did take notice of the pretty large number of 8-11" storms.  I think most of PA between the turnpike and 80 is looking really good for 6+, with banding features most likely to determine who gets 6.5" and who gets 10.5". It has been awhile since we've had a good one like this is modeled run across.

I think most of PA between the turnpike and 80 is looking really good for 6+, with banding features most likely to determine who gets 6.5" and who gets 10.5". It has been awhile since we've had a good one like this is modeled run across.

Where would the most likely place be for banding? Closer to the coast or back into the mountains? I know no one can predict where they might set up, but...

Where would the most likely place be for banding? Closer to the coast or back into the mountains? I know no one can predict where they might set up, but...

I would think as the low moves south of us there will be one or more W-E oriented bands, and as the storm hits the coast, a NE-SW oriented band or two. Won't be able to nail down locations until they actually happen, most likely.

Archived