• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
1/27 Winter Storm - Round 3 - Discussion Thread

Heisy

NYC area may not be totally dead yet, certainly LI does very well still.  Every short range model and model trend since the last NAM pointed to this coming.  Miller B's are rough (and i also wonder how much that enhanced snow in central and western PA impacted us here).

They'll still get double-digits in the Big Apple but the notion of ridiculous, near-historic amounts is done. More MECS territory instead of HECS. E LI and SNE OTOH...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sad part is the Media went all in and the next time the public might not take it too

seriously.

This isn't a shocking result, though, with MIller B's the global models often have a lot of trouble pinpointed the sharp cutoff, which is why this storm always made me nervous.  Now, the NAM with its wonky 18z run (as Ray correctly called it) is another story, but most of the short range stuff had us missing the good snow, and that looks to be what is going to happen.   I still think this storm ends up being a pretty big deal for NYC North and East--this time the cutoff just got us.

EVERY storm, yes EVERY storm, the NAM has a run right before the event where it has some crazy ass west shift, then it adjusts back E. It did during NEMO. For a model that NWS uses to have a 100 mile shift 12 hours before an event is absolutely absurd. And some of us look at the NAM 84 hours out. This model needs to be upgraded, and in a HUGE way. It is a joke of the wx community and might cost some mets. around the area one helluva fire storm come tomorrow morning when people wake up to 2" on the ground. 

The sad part is the Media went all in and the next time the public might not take it too

seriously.

I'm sure many aren't like myself....I don't pay attention to media or any sort or winter advisory. I walk out in the morning (whenever) and look at things, adjust...and things go well. Media telling people year after year after year on how to drive and to pick up milk, bread etc is mind dumbing. Do people forget how to do this stuff within a year? And if you're new to this you learn by your parents or whoever. It's very easy...

This isn't a shocking result, though, with MIller B's the global models often have a lot of trouble pinpointed the sharp cutoff, which is why this storm always made me nervous.  Now, the NAM with its wonky 18z run (as Ray correctly called it) is another story, but most of the short range stuff had us missing the good snow, and that looks to be what is going to happen.   I still think this storm ends up being a pretty big deal for NYC North and East--this time the cutoff just got us.

If you look at the radar the bands that are moving through NY are not that impressive either, they got around 4" around diner time but it was light fluffy snow with no wind.

If you look at the radar the bands that are moving through NY are not that impressive either, they got around 4" around diner time but it was light fluffy snow with no wind.

i think they will get into some impressive banding overnight, i would guess about a foot for the city, 16-24 out on the island, more east of course.

EVERY storm, yes EVERY storm, the NAM has a run right before the event where it has some crazy ass west shift, then it adjusts back E. It did during NEMO. For a model that NWS uses to have a 100 mile shift 12 hours before an event is absolutely absurd. And some of us look at the NAM 84 hours out. This model needs to be upgraded, and in a HUGE way. It is a joke of the wx community and might cost some mets. around the area one helluva fire storm come tomorrow morning when people wake up to 2" on the ground. 

all of this is true, but the Euro really is the big loser at least in our region.   Even its worst run gave PHL 8-10 inches.  

Archived