joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27 Winter Storm - Round 3 - Discussion Thread

Heisy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is not meant as a critique at all, but the signs are there to bail, is it just considered too extreme to do so that fast, even if that is what the forecasters believe will happen?   I'm genuinely curious as to what goes on w/r/t the thought process when a clear "bust" is apparent.    On a side note, this was such a tough forecast, I don't envy your position here one bit.

Very good with this totally agree very tough situation!

this is not meant as a critique at all, but the signs are there to bail, is it just considered too extreme to do so that fast, even if that is what the forecasters believe will happen?   I'm genuinely curious as to what goes on w/r/t the thought process when a clear "bust" is apparent.    On a side note, this was such a tough forecast, I don't envy your position here one bit.

Agree with that. Also I think there should be (and is) a damping effect particularly with model runs where the NWS or any forecaster isn't being yanked around by run to run changes in the models. That would not inspire confidence. The models are a tool, not the be all and end all.

Ocean and Monmouth Counties look to really do well with this storm.... I lived in the Toms River area for 20 years and I wish I was still there...

There's another big line of heavy snow coming into the jersey shore... if those bands stick around then a foot for the shore region is still not out of the question..

Ocean and Monmouth Counties look to really do well with this storm.... I lived in the Toms River area for 20 years and I wish I was still there...

There's another big line of heavy snow coming into the jersey shore... if those bands stick around then a foot for the shore region is still not out of the question..

Sadly that band is going to pivot South 20 miles short of my house.

From the norlun that's causing the snow by DC? Seems odd to have it all by itself, surely not from the coastal...

Hmm, suddenly I am reminded of 4/9/1996... CCB was expected to set up just NW of the cities with mod to heavy snow.  Instead a norlon/convective band of snow showers sat over central PA down towards DC and the CCB was just east of Philly and New York.  Really odd since ACY had a warning level snowfall from it, very unusual for the shore on April 9th.

The blocking or lack thereof likely did play a role. I know it was a big red flag to Glen.

Thanks Ray this was truly a learning experience with this storm. In terms of. Snow disappointing but that's the way it goes around here over the past 6 years feast or famine. Thanks for keeping it real, honest, and also grounded when it comes to our expectations when large events come into focus.

Archived