joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/18 - 1/19 Potential Coastal Storm

NEG NAO

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got up around 7:45 am and as I was getting dressed to play in our weekly soccer match, I looked outside and it looked like it might be a little icy, so I went out around 8 am to check and nearly fell on the sheet of ice that is on my driveway - and sidewalks and side streets - even the moderately traveled street we live on was icy on the shoulders, but passable in the center (it's one of those 25 mph local 2-lane streets, but does get some traffic).  Way worse than it looked from the window, lol.  Main roads and treated roads should be fine given enough traffic.  

Just went outside again and it's still pretty bad - right at 32F, but the ground is frozen - the local street in front of my house is starting to improve a bit, presumably from traffic (and some insolation now that the sun is up).  I know it's dangerous, but it's also a little fun - took a running start and was able to slide about 30 feet on the street in front of my house (there was no traffic at that moment - I'm not that dumb, lol).  Can't imagine driving on this anywhere it's not melting yet.  

Just imagine the disaster this would've been had it occurred tomorrow morning instead.

Tomorrow's a holiday. But on a normal weekday it definitely would've been worse, I'm actually surprised it's this bad on a Sunday.

Luckily there's none of that frozen crap out here.

the gfs model still had a storm.

You can knit pick and say it was just off shore.

Nailed the storm under 3 days.

Most people only care about weather 24 hrs out.

Make a call to friend in the Philly area if you have any. They are getting a serious ice storm. Most forecast were for all rain event as of last night. Talk about a bad forecast.

Not one model had anywhere near the temps that showed up this morning, at least down here. This was a huge model failure, you can't blame the mets on this one. Even the Euro **** the bed on this one. Just a really bad situation all the way around. Nobody was prepared here at all. Numerous fatals too down here.

Not one model had anywhere near the temps that showed up this morning, at least down here. This was a huge model failure, you can't blame the mets on this one. Even the Euro **** the bed on this one. Just a really bad situation all the way around. Nobody was prepared here at all. Numerous fatals too down here.

false comment HRRR was right.

Was late to work where I'm in charge of snow removal because I had no freaking clue this would happen.

The whole Columbia Barnard campus is a complete disaster. Sheet of ice everyone's scrambling. So yeah upton definitely screwed this one up. I should have known personally but I'm just getting used to the weather in upper manhattan with a little bit of elevation

Awful news on fatal accidents.

Likely nws will get heat. No mention of ice in the forecast as of bed time last night.

Need to stop relying on models and go back to basics.

Two quick thoughts on the ice:

1. Even as some areas had readings near or just above freezing, ice resulted. This was probably because the ground temperature was < 32°, as surface temperatures are measured at 2 meters above the ground.

2. The coverage of ice is a big coup for the HRRR model and that model was growing more aggressive with the ice as it moved closer to the event. Two images from earlier runs of that model:

HRRR01182015.jpg

Archived