Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Friday 01/09 Light snow event w/ Observations

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this winter, you've got to take what you can get. Plus, that took me about 90 seconds to type out, not exactly a major exertion of effort.

For Garth that was 2 hours of typing and 30 minutes to read

There were some big words...

lol.  It looked like a bigger write up when reading on my phone.  On the computer...nasomuch.

The only words I want to see are cold, and snowy.  They are easy to read, and don't take much time to digest. 

Can't you measure for yourself? Good luck always using Logan.

I just use Logan because I live in an apartment building and it's virtually impossible to have an accurate measuring. Since I'm pretty much at Logan it works out. Wouldn't be much different than the official numbers coming from Winthrop/Logan though. 

18z NAM hints at Berks ORH country rt 2 CT Hills for highest totals. S VT and Keene area too.

18z RGEM is sort of similar. Likes the elevations. 

12z GFS is similar.

Models hint at this sort of snowhole over eastern mass where SE MA actually does better than say BOS or LWM.

12z EURO is completely on a different page. North of the pike highest totals. ORH rt 2 ne ma and even down into BOS.

Too far out to look at the hires with confidence. 

I think a general 1-2" widespread snowfall is on the way. Could be a spot 3-4" if it breaks right north of the pike or W CT litchfield hills or Tolland. I think this favors Berks and S VT over to Rt 2.

Gfs looks pretty good

Yeah should hopefully be good for a widespread 1-3", if its fluffy I could see western New England picking up a spot 4" amount...especially the northern Berks or Southern Greens. The models have been liking that area from Mitch to MPM for the last 2 days for a mini-jackpot. I'm thinking 2-3" up here though there's always the threat of a spot 4-6" total at 3,000ft in these events...the higher els of the Spine generally do clippers pretty well.

Big question here: who has looked at snowgrowth? Plenty cold for interior. Could have a huge effect on this event.

Question answered : ALSO...STRONG SW ISENTROPIC MOIST FETCH AHEAD OF A REINFORCING COLD

FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH THE AFOREMENTIONED ARCTIC DISTURBANCE AND
BENEATH DIFFLUENT SUPPORT ALOFT SHOULD YIELD SUBSTANTIAL DEEP-LAYER
LIFT THROUGH THE DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE...ESPECIALLY OVER INTERIOR S
NEW ENGLAND. EXPECTING A STRATIFORM BAND OF SNOW IMMEDIATELY AHEAD
OF THE COLD FRONT CENTERED AROUND THE MORNING RUSH.

CONSIDERING OROGRAPHIC SUPPORT ALONG THE W-SLOPES OF HIGH TERRAIN
AND A COLD AIRMASS WELL IN PLACE...WITH PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS AROUND
ONE TO TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH...EXPECTING A FLUFFY SNOW RESULTANT OF
HIGH SNOW-TO-LIQUID RATIOS.

I just use Logan because I live in an apartment building and it's virtually impossible to have an accurate measuring. Since I'm pretty much at Logan it works out. Wouldn't be much different than the official numbers coming from Winthrop/Logan though. 

Logan is consistently short on their totals. It's bogus. Big storms they can be several inches off. Just keep it in mind.

For snow or cold? That's ridiculous at 6pm the night before with no slam dunk event coming...places are definitely getting too trigger happy with delays and closings.

My kids district just called in a 2 hour delay

Seriously?

I'm on board for that delay way more than yesterday. I think it's a slam dunk for deteriorating conditions right at a terrible time heading to school tomorrow. Eastern mass might be able to get kids indoors beforehand, but the backend of the commute will be affected in BOS. I think areas like Hubb's will not be a fun commute. I could see a spot 3" amount and that's more than enough to cause problems I'd say.. Especially with the timing.

Something being ignored.. Pretty strong wording for tomorrows winds.. Likely damaging..

HIGH WIND WARNINGS CONTINUE FOR THE CAPE AND ISLANDS INCLUDING BLOCK
ISLAND. WIND ADVISORIES HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR COASTAL S-SE MA / RI...
WHILE ALSO INCLUDING CAPE ANN. THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY THAT WIND
ADVISORY CRITERIA MAY BE MET ACROSS INTERIOR PORTIONS OF SE NE. WILL
ALLOW LATER SHIFTS TO EVALUATE...BUT A CONSENSUS OF GUIDANCE ALONG
WITH AN EXTRAPOLATION OF WINDS MIXING DOWN TO THE SURFACE PLACES THE
HIGHEST CONFIDENCE FOR MEETING / EXCEEDING WIND HEADLINE CRITERIA
ALONG THE COAST. LIKELY STRONG-DAMAGING WINDS.

I'm on board for that delay way more than yesterday. I think it's a slam dunk for deteriorating conditions right at a terrible time heading to school tomorrow. Eastern mass might be able to get kids indoors beforehand, but the backend of the commute will be affected in BOS. I think areas like Hubb's will not be a fun commute. I could see a spot 3" amount and that's more than enough to cause problems I'd say.. Especially with the timing.

You could be right but I was pretty surprised. A minor event

I guess the timing sucks

Something being ignored.. Pretty strong wording for tomorrows winds.. Likely damaging..

HIGH WIND WARNINGS CONTINUE FOR THE CAPE AND ISLANDS INCLUDING BLOCK

ISLAND. WIND ADVISORIES HAVE BEEN ISSUED FOR COASTAL S-SE MA / RI...

WHILE ALSO INCLUDING CAPE ANN. THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY THAT WIND

ADVISORY CRITERIA MAY BE MET ACROSS INTERIOR PORTIONS OF SE NE. WILL

ALLOW LATER SHIFTS TO EVALUATE...BUT A CONSENSUS OF GUIDANCE ALONG

WITH AN EXTRAPOLATION OF WINDS MIXING DOWN TO THE SURFACE PLACES THE

HIGHEST CONFIDENCE FOR MEETING / EXCEEDING WIND HEADLINE CRITERIA

ALONG THE COAST. LIKELY STRONG-DAMAGING WINDS.

I could see some small roofs being blown off

Maybe.  I was just thinking how often clippers have this disjointed precip shield and its usually more like accumulating snow showers, so I figure the road crews will have no problem dealing with it.  Maybe if it turns into a 3" in 3 hours type deal, but I feel clipper impacts are often hard to pinpoint with enough confidence to issue school delays the night before.  Just see what it looks like at 5am and make the call then.

But I also forget how much of a sh*tshow urban areas and commuter highways become during rush hour and ANY amount of snow...heck even just falling snow that isn't accumulating somehow causes problems because some people freak out at the sight of snow, lol.  It is a whole different world down in the urban areas when it comes to driving in the snow.

Quabbin district is very Un urban. Very spread out, hilly. Road crews are few and far between

My town is 44 square miles, 5000 people

I was writing in response to sbos's post about it hitting at commute time...I assumed concerns about the morning commute would be more geared to the urban areas (including suburban areas nearby). Never would've referred to your area as urban lol. If your town is that large and rural, Id assume you'll have no issues with a light snowfall, which is why I thought the delay was ridiculous.

I was writing in response to sbos's post about it hitting at commute time...I assumed concerns about the morning commute would be more geared to the urban areas (including suburban areas nearby). Never would've referred to your area as urban lol. If your town is that large and rural, Id assume you'll have no issues with a light snowfall, which is why I thought the delay was ridiculous.

I agree. The superintendent cancels or delays more than any one I know

So far, the only one doing this

Archived