• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

Ah....I am sheltered in every direction except W and NW. But even on the hill in Boscawen it seemed to be piling up fast in the afternoon.

I will post a pic from that hill. Ooops doesn't appear I can post a pic?

I think the uploader script is messed up. Try using the basic uploader. That worked for me.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have a dilemma: do I drive to Sugarloaf tonight with my three boys (assumes school cancelled tomorrow) or wait for tomorrow morning to see if there is school or not?  It looks light only light accumulations overnight, picking up in intensity during the day Friday.  I'm thinking they are going to try to get school in Friday since they have had 2 snow days already, but if there is going to be six inches on the ground by Friday afternoon then perhaps they'll re-consider.  What are the trends looking like for arrival of the snow in SW Maine? 

Brian, Once the Euro run is done let us know how we do for the clipper and any potential for Monday. Just came back from Plymouth. They got so little snow from the last storm that the old sheet ice is showing on the snow from the ice storm prior.....

0.50"ish with improving ratios for the 2nd half. Could pull off low warning criteria if everything breaks right.

Did it completely freeze in Jan 04?

I don't remember which year.  The only year it fully froze right up to the bridge was the year the rest of the lake never froze.  It was bizarre, but I guess there was almost no outflow current that year.  I want to say 2003.  There were some impressively braindead people ice fishing out in front of the Naswa.

Well that's why I asked how sheltered you were. My ratios sucked in the morning from the BLSN. My first measurement was like 4" with 0.55" liquid. I ended up scrapping that sample. Snow growth is fine until the crystals get pulverized on the ground. Winds let up a bit during the afternoon so the density decreased.

The 8" sample in my driveway 24hrs later was 1.35", but I don't count that liquid total.

The 18.5" sample (that was the avg of about a dozen measurements, all between 17.5 to just over 20) in my driveway had LE of 2.17" last evening at 6.  Snow was topped with 4-6" of soft windslab, with sand-like texture beneath - made for a tough wade to our porch, especially after a 500-mile drive.  Stuff was dense enough that our middle-to-large snowblower had trouble handling a full-width swath, even in its lowest gear, though its 20" height was adequate until snow began to bunch up.  I'd guess that when accum snow ended in the pre-dawn yesterday, the stick would have shown 20-21", and still a sub-10 ratio for snow that came with mid-high singles for temp.

Down to about -20 this morning, and saw -27 for BML.  They had 25 at 3 PM, quite the diurnal range.  Newest map from GYX has me in 10-14" with 8-10 to my west and 14-18 from about AUG east.  WSW this aft had 6-10 for my area, probably closer to the end result.

I wonder if the east side gets blocked in this. Froude numbers are quite low so I bet the Champlain Valley does better than expected. Radar is lighting up in some spots, but MVL has started gusting 20-30 miles per hour out of the south. That's not a down sloping wind per se there, but if it's blocked SE above the SFC, then MVL will get some downslope mixing. Their RH dropped to 30% with the mixing, as the temp rose and dews dropped. With the arrival of echoes, I'd think it would go the other way. 32/4 at MVL currently which is pretty dry. May see a very elevation dependent event occur, just due to the low level dry air.

Could anyone with Euro access post QPF's for various locales around NNE? Tx.

Is it just me or has the town road crew just given up?  The area on the Peacham/ Danville Road from Ewell Pond to the Danville line has been just awful for days.

The latest BTV NWS map updates are below; Winter Weather Advisories were filled in where they were absent before, and the projected accumulations have generally been bumped up an inch or two with a good dose of 6-8" shading in the northern half of the state.  The point forecast here in Waterbury got a bump to 4-8" in line with that trend.

29JAN15C.jpg

29JAN15D.jpg

2.2" will do it at home it looks like for this one.  Now time for some clipper love which seems to be more reliable than most coastal storms, haha.

Honestly can't really tell how much has fallen at the mountain, its 0-8".  The snow boards actually got blown clean last night after 2-2.5" through 4pm.  The wind has been ferocious.  Its all wavy and drifted as there isn't an undisturbed area of snow on the mountain it seems.  We'll call it 2-3" because I can't prove anything more.  Even in the woods its drifted behind every little tree and twig it can find.

Ended up with 2.4" from the storm on Tuesday

Not happening in town this morning... had 0.6" around 5:15am but when I got to the mountain at 5:30am there was 2.2" up here at 1,500ft. 

Rare blocked SW flow is putting most of this snow in the Champlain Valley and west slopes to the Spine.  You don't have to go far east of the Spine on this side to see it start to drop off fast.  Luckily the mountain seems to be doing alright, as it sounds like there's over 3" at 3000ft with heavier snow. 

Froude numbers are real low, which is odd for a SSW wind, but you can see BTV has had much lower visibilities all night compared with MVL and MPV which haven't had impressive obs.  Pretty cool meso-scale stuff going on this morning.

Archived