joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friends just about to leave to Boston from Plymouth NH.  How is 93 in general southbound?? My temp is bouncing 3-4F every few minutes  Hate to ask you in this thread but can't find out and they will have a car full of friends

It appeared to be moving better southbound than northbound at 93/89 intersection.  TBH looks pretty bad still overall though, I have never seen traffic move so slowly on that stretch and I walk there when the weather is at it's worst, seems legit slippery.  Maybe by the time they were to reach here it will be warmer and better treated.. Hard to predict.

It appeared to be moving better southbound than northbound at 93/89 intersection. TBH looks pretty bad still overall though, I have never seen traffic move so slowly on that stretch and I walk there when the weather is at it's worst, seems legit slippery. Maybe by the time they were to reach here it will be warmer and better treated.. Hard to predict.

It's taken an hour to go from rest area to 89 northbound. South looks a little better but still stoop and go same stretch

It appeared to be moving better southbound than northbound at 93/89 intersection.  TBH looks pretty bad still overall though, I have never seen traffic move so slowly on that stretch and I walk there when the weather is at it's worst, seems legit slippery.  Maybe by the time they were to reach here it will be warmer and better treated.. Hard to predict.

WMUR is updating details here: http://livewire.wmur.com/Event/Accidents_reported_across_NH_due_to_slippery_roads  They said that traffic is now moving on the 89N ramp from 93N.

This one may be slipping away here:

I WILL NOTE THAT MOST RECENT TRENDS
IN THE NEAR- TERM HRRR/RAP GUIDANCE SUGGEST PRIMARY PCPN SHIELD IS
TENDING TO SHIFT A TAD FURTHER EAST THAN CURRENT FORECAST. IF THIS
PANS OUT...SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ACROSS WESTERN VT MAY BE A TAD LESS
THAN CURRENT FORECASTS. TIME WILL TELL HOWEVER...AND ALL
ADVISORIES AND WARNINGS WILL REMAIN IN PLACE WITH THIS PACKAGE.
LOWS GENERALLY IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S BY MONDAY MORNING

Friends just about to leave to Boston from Plymouth NH.  How is 93 in general southbound?? My temp is bouncing 3-4F every few minutes  Hate to ask you in this thread but can't find out and they will have a car full of friends

I would imagine it's pretty poor driving through most of NH.

29.3F light freezing rain.  Thanks everyone for road conditions, family is staying put for now.

A few musings...

I need to get it through my head (after living up here for 10 years) that CAD almost every single time over performs in my area of the state.  

NWS failed some  on this one.  Yes, there was freezing rain advisory and even though its been raining for 6 hours we have not had that much qpf.  So wires and trees although coated are doing okay.  Howeve, traveling today has been a nightmare.  Major impacts. 2 things happened.  We are coming off a cold stretch so the ground is extremely cold.  Second thing is this precip started right out as freezing rain with temps in the high teens.  When you start as snow and go to freezing rain at least the roadway has something tires can dig into.  This was/is just glaze ice, everywhere.  The NWS should have seen this possibility and issued very strong language that roads could become impassible for several hours.  (Still are in my area).   Just my 2 cents....

29.3F light freezing rain.  Thanks everyone for road conditions, family is staying put for now.

A few musings...

I need to get it through my head (after living up here for 10 years) that CAD almost every single time over performs in my area of the state.  

NWS failed some  on this one.  Yes, there was freezing rain advisory and even though its been raining for 6 hours we have not had that much qpf.  So wires and trees although coated are doing okay.  Howeve, traveling today has been a nightmare.  Major impacts. 2 things happened.  We are coming off a cold stretch so the ground is extremely cold.  Second thing is this precip started right out as freezing rain with temps in the high teens.  When you start as snow and go to freezing rain at least the roadway has something tires can dig into.  This was/is just glaze ice, everywhere.  The NWS should have seen this possibility and issued very strong language that roads could become impassible for several hours.  (Still are in my area).   Just my 2 cents....

It's hard to get people to listen to "just an advisory." I've been updating the statement all day to say that travel will be extremely difficult, but it doesn't matter to people who want to get where they are going. I can't recommend that roads be closed, so I just have to get the forecast as close as possible and let those in charge decide.

This is a good example of in situ CAD though. There was no high in place to anchor the cold in, instead it was a bitterly cold antecedent air mass. You precipitate into that air mass, wet bulb it to near saturation, and it gets nice and dense.

This may be a good system for the west slopes given the setup I think. Have fun PF and Jspin.

Thanks Coastal; not sure exactly how things will go down here in the valley, but it should be fun to watch it progress at the various elevations around in this area.  The wife and I just cleared the snow off the deck and reset the web cam snowboard, so people can use that to follow what's going on in this area with regard to the storm.

18JAN15C.jpg

There were no notable changes with regard to the BTV NWS advisories map here in Northern Vermont for the afternoon update, although there is that addition of that winter weather advisory down to the southwest.  For the projected accumulations map, the larger accumulations now appear to be more focused along the higher elevations of the Green Mountain Spine with some decreases in the valleys in the North-Central part of the state:

18JAN15D.jpg

18JAN15E.jpg

Our point forecast here along the spine in the Winooski Valley doesn’t seem to have changed much, with accumulations in the 3-6" range expected.

I'm not exactly sure how things transpired here at the house over the past several hours because we headed out to Stowe around 5:00 P.M. and were there much of the evening.  But, we were up at the mountain for part of the time so I can pass along some observations.  When we left the house around 5:00 P.M. there wasn't much going on, but we got into some light rain during the trip northward.  We had dinner with some friends at Bender's Burritos on the mountain road (elevation 750'), and when we left there around 6:30 P.M. the rain had picked up – it was actually freezing on some ground surfaces, but it was spotty so it must have only been those that were very cold.  We headed up to the mountain to the Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center to watch the latest Warren Miller movie, and snow mixed in at roughly 1,200' elevation.  At the Spruce Peak Village (1,500') the precipitation was all snow and starting to come down at a healthy clip.  At intermission we could really see that the snow was picking up (always fun to have it snowing while you're watching a ski movie) and when we were leaving around 9:00 P.M. it was really dumping; there was a good inch or so of dense snow already down.  It was snow all the way back to the house at that point, and a very isothermal 33 F on the car thermometer the entire trip.  Here in Waterbury at 500' I measured 1.2" of snow as of 11:00 P.M. and I'm planning to do a liquid analysis at midnight.

Killington was doing pretty well above 3000 feet when I was there this afternoon.  It was mostly rain at the base but was mixing when I left a little after 3.

It was a little mixed up though, snowing at some places at times with rain at elevations a bit higher.  Snow level was definitely fluctuating.

Looking good there now:

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/rams.html

Event totals: 1.7” Snow/0.63" L.E.

I pulled 0.44" of liquid out of the midnight snowboard core, but there was 0.63" in the rain gauge, so it looks like a couple of tenths of an inch of liquid went as rain before it changed over.  I'd estimate the snowfall is currently in the 1-2"/hr range because as of 12:30 A.M. there's another 0.7" on the board.  The intense snowfall is presumably in association with those 30 db echoes pushing into the Greens:

19JAN15A.gif

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.44 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.9

Snow Density: 25.9% H2O

Temperature: 33.1 F

Sky: Snow (2-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5"

Archived