joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good numbers from the Mansfield COOP...that's a pretty big snowfall for their collection method. Snow depth increased by 10" which sounds about right, as the fluffy powder underneath was probably crushed under this snow. So a 10" net gain in pack is pretty sweet considering how fluffy the snow under was.

And with upper mountain depths nearing 5 feet, all terrain is carte blanche right now. Good to go exploring in the woods and backcountry. 50" is usually the number when backcountry skiing really comes into its own.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
524 PM EST MON JAN 19 2015

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     1.07    31  18  18                9.5  56
qpf queen

Jspin, what happen to your records after Jan 3? Don't see them. PF, what were the other events over the last 10 days? I can't even think of then other than the SWFE and squalls.  You are sort of in your own weenie corner of New England this winter.

3,000ft snowboard...

January 19...13" (current storm)

January 16...2" (squalls)

January 12-13...8" (SWFE plus upslope)

January 9-10...6" (squalls)

Jspin, what happen to your records after Jan 3? Don't see them. PF, what were the other events over the last 10 days? I can't even think of then other than the SWFE and squalls.  You are sort of in your own weenie corner of New England this winter.

It's even a big difference 18 miles away!

Ha, this is true. It's like back in 2012 when we were in shorts in Feb and he's skiing a foot of upslope powder.

That's still my favorite upslope event here. 18" in town and an honest 3 feet on the mountain. That was one to remember...late Feb 2012. The best was it stopped snowing at like 4am and was total bluebird by 7am. You don't get those kinda of days in the east.

Ahh yes, forgot about the 12-13. Funny how we are literally both 180 from last year.

Haha yeah I've been thinking about that. Our luck was horrific last year at this time, though it turned in mid Feb with the Valentines Day storm. You guys had it the other way around. Getting 18" 2F snowstorms in January then skunked in March.

I still think you guys will turn it around and get at least 2 warning snows before it's done. But I get the frustration...last year right now I was slamming my laptop against the wall while watching Philly get their 5th warning criteria storm lol.

Event totals: 5.3” Snow/1.03" L.E.

The 1.5" of snow since 3:00 P.M. contained 0.06" of liquid, so it's dried out a lot now.  We've still got some light snow falling out of that precipitation banked up against the spine so there will be a little more to report tomorrow:

19JAN15C.gif

Details from the 9:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 25.0

Snow Density: 4.0% H2O

Temperature: 25.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0"

That's still my favorite upslope event here. 18" in town and an honest 3 feet on the mountain. That was one to remember...late Feb 2012. The best was it stopped snowing at like 4am and was total bluebird by 7am. You don't get those kinda of days in the east.

I certainly won't forget it. I was her on a visit before I moved up and caught that video with a crap camera. The next day I hit the slopes at Bolton to incredible conditions.

425472_10100550997219069_1443762495_n.jp

The Bolton lot the day after.

Jspin, what happen to your records after Jan 3? Don't see them. PF, what were the other events over the last 10 days? I can't even think of then other than the SWFE and squalls. 

Do you mean the records in my signature?  If so, that's interesting because that's just about the time that I switched servers, so I wonder if it's a DNS thing?  I have been updating it regularly and I would think that everything should be calling from the new server by now.  This new server is a managed WordPress server, and I even flush the cache there whenever I post something new to get it to appear right away.  In any case, I've listed the events up to this point of the season below, along with my notes on the origin of the event:

Event 01 - 11/06/2014: 0.5"        Coastal system moving through New England, then into Gulf of Maine

Event 02 - 11/13/2014: 2.7"        Upper level trough of low pressure

Event 03 - 11/14/2014: 1.8"        Upper level low pressure

Event 04 - 11/17/2014: 1.3"        Complex low pressure system moving through the north country with some circulation in southern New England

Event 05 - 11/18/2014: 2.5"        LES + overflow

Event 06 - 11/26/2014: 11.6"       Nor'easter - Winter Storm Cato

Event 07 - 11/28/2014: 1.8”         Shortwave moving across region

Event 08 - 12/01/2014: 0.2”         Frontal passage with northwest flow

Event 09 - 12/02/2014: 4.0”         1st sandwich storm - Wave of low pressure coming from Ohio Valley into our area - snow to mixed precip then 2 cold fronts

Event 10 - 12/05/2014: 2.8”         Southern stream shortwave passing just south of our area - could have been 2nd sandwich storm but was all snow

Event 11 - 12/07/2014: 0.1”         Lake Champlain LES

Event 12 - 12/09/2014: 14.8”       Cut off Nor'easter - Winter Storm Damon

Event 13 - 12/17/2014: 1.0”         Low pressure from St. Lawrence Valley transferring to coast, up into Gulf of Maine + Maritimes

Event 14 - 12/23/2014: 0.5”         Low pressure passing west of area through Great Lakes

Event 15 - 12/28/2014: 1.2”         Weak low pressure north of the area + trailing cold front

Event 16 - 12/31/2014: 0.3”         Lake effect and general moisture from the Great Lakes

Event 17 - 01/01/2015: 1.1”         Arctic front

Event 18 - 01/03/2015: 4.2”         SWFE

Event 19 - 01/06/2015: 0.1”         Upper-level disturbance/Clipper moving east from Great Lakes

Event 20 - 01/07/2015: 0.5”         Arctic frontal passage + arctic air

Event 21 - 01/09/2015: 1.1"        Clipper + cold front

Event 22 - 01/09/2015: 1.6"        LES Band from Lake Ontario

Event 23 - 01/12/2015: 3.6"        Clipper/Low pressure tracking across southern Quebec

Event 24 - 01/16/2015: 0.9"        Arctic frontal passage

Event 25 - 01/18/2015: 5.4"        Storm system tracking through New England

Sum:  65.6"

You are sort of in your own weenie corner of New England this winter.

Yeah, it's interesting; I figure it's just climatology making up for being below average around here the past three seasons.  The thing is, we're not really correcting on those seasons yet because snowfall is still below average here by about 10 inches according to my records (PF can probably comment on where the mountain is with respect to average snowfall at this point, since his records go back farther).  There's still plenty of winter to go though; based on my snowfall data we're 46.4% of the way through the snowfall season.

Nice Jspin...the upslope burst seemed perfect for your location. Sounds like through 5pm you had an additional 2.5" after the synoptic portion right? That would fit with 1.5" here and the reduction as you move away from the Spine axis.

Yes, that's right with the 2.5" since the synoptic portion; we've had another couple of tenths of an inch with the current snowfall, but below are the numbers up through 9:00 P.M.:

12:00 A.M. 19JAN         1.7"

6:00 A.M. 19JAN           1.1"

3:00 P.M. 19JAN           1.0"

9:00 P.M. 19JAN           1.5"

Yeah, it's interesting; I figure it's just climatology making up for being below average around here the past three seasons.  The thing is, we're not really correcting on those seasons yet because snowfall is still below average here by about 10 inches according to my records (PF can probably comment on where the mountain is with respect to average snowfall at this point, since his records go back farther).  There's still plenty of winter to go though; based on my snowfall data we're 46.4% of the way through the snowfall season.

This is true...we are right at normal for snowfall.  However, what we have gotten has had some substance.  We don't seem to get those plastering snowfalls as often as we have this winter.  With the lower ratios, although the snowfall itself is around normal, the snowpack in the mountains is quite healthy relative to recent seasons.  Its been a good mix of fluffy snowfalls and base-builders.  I actually think this ski season has been quite good overall, but some of the recent seasons haven't been the best so it feels like we've lucked out this winter.  The snowpack isn't anything to write home about in the lower elevations of the mountain valleys, but at mid-slope elevations up through the summits, its been quite nice.  We are in good shape going into February and March in the mountains.  Maybe it completely stops snowing, but as we get later in the season, climo starts favoring up north so I like our chances for the second half of the ski season.

Here's a photo from Mountain Road today...we definitely have had a surplus of heavy caking snows this season.

IMG_7073_edited-2_zpsfbff4774.jpg

Event totals: 5.5” Snow/1.03" L.E.

There was an additional 0.2" of fluffy snow subsequent to the 9:00 P.M. analysis last night, although as of this morning I could only get a trace of liquid out of the core.  That should mark the end of this event now that the clouds have cleared out.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 11.1 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 8.0"

Through today, we've had 32.3" snow compared to 35.5" last year. Jan last year yielded 8.25" compared to this year's jan total so far of 9.2". Overall, pretty close. We still managed 83" last year, so hopefully Feb/March is decent.

Does not look like it has had much of an effect in Jackman, They look to have survived with some backside snows

post-1154-0-79755300-1421764807_thumb.jp

Three feet in like less than 12hrs. Counting the wind transport, that morning I swore 5 feet of snow connected on the east side of mansfield. I've never seen anything like that before. Just bluebird, deep perfect snow. 

Really big fan of the cakey snowfalls right now. Makes me feel good about the length of the season we'll be having. Really reminds you thtat not all 40" are created the same. Stuff is skiable now that normally takes more snow because what is down is just so thick. 

Just scattered plowpiles outside the Augusta office, with some patches of white beneath the pines across the road.  Still 8" of bulletproof snowpack at home, and season's snowfall remains a bit above avg for the date.  However, 2 weeks ago snowfall was nearly 50% above avg, and some models suggest it will be avg/below avg by month's end, as the next 2 weeks might provide little of substance - 06z gfs gives AUG a whopping 0.10" qpf thru day 16.  At least it's dropped the groundhog drowner I saw yesterday.

Does not look like it has had much of an effect in Jackman, They look to have survived with some backside snows

attachicon.gifBishops.jpg

I bet the trails are icy.  Hope you guys get some snow soon.  If not take ride over here for the reciprocal weekend Jan. 30 - Feb 1. Free riding across the NNE states as long as your legal in one of them. While we haven't been buried, the snow we've had is nice low ratio stuff that has staying power.  I have had continuous snow cover in my back yard since the Thanksgiving storm, though it got a bit thin at one point in early December.

Just scattered plowpiles outside the Augusta office, with some patches of white beneath the pines across the road.  Still 8" of bulletproof snowpack at home, and season's snowfall remains a bit above avg for the date.  However, 2 weeks ago snowfall was nearly 50% above avg, and some models suggest it will be avg/below avg by month's end, as the next 2 weeks might provide little of substance - 06z gfs gives AUG a whopping 0.10" qpf thru day 16.  At least it's dropped the groundhog drowner I saw yesterday.

I'll be cliff jumping if we get nothing for the next 2 weeks.

Archived