• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

I enjoy negative nao, but I have hit climo the past 2 years in central NC without one. In fact I guess it's more micro climate perception than anything , I'm 60 or 70 miles west of pack and while I root to get a negative nao pattern for mby I'm much more interested in the Pacific and would taking a pos pna over a negative nao if I had to choose between the two. Just my opinion.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6z GFS looks rather brisk in the LR.

I saw some upper 20s around mby at about hour 360 or so. Not that impressive here, but enough to do damage! Guessing the Euro backe off the polar vortex sitting over PA , or there would be more hype/talk?? I'm trying to focus on the non rain event coming for the Carolinas!

I saw some upper 20s around mby at about hour 360 or so. Not that impressive here, but enough to do damage! Guessing the Euro backe off the polar vortex sitting over PA , or there would be more hype/talk?? I'm trying to focus on the non rain event coming for the Carolinas!

Don't know about the EPS, but the Euro looks to be heading in a cold direction. Seems the focus of this event continues to shift west, but most of the SE should see a nice rain.

EPS still just as crazy as yesterday

fabbfb277cdc36d808aed4577cb5bc57.jpg

8fa3c0486729d4c98807f2acb27f302c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Winter is OVER outside of the mountains. All the talk about cold coming later is all for naught. According to the maps above, we"d be looking at 6-7 degrees below average for late March, so that would give us highs in the low 60s in the upstate. Hold on, gotta go get my gloves and parka back out :) It was in the 80s most areas today, we're closer to summer than winter. If you're below about 2500 ft, hang it up. May not even get another freeze.

Winter is OVER outside of the mountains. All the talk about cold coming later is all for naught. According to the maps above, we"d be looking at 6-7 degrees below average for late March, so that would give us highs in the low 60s in the upstate. Hold on, gotta go get my gloves and parka back out :) It was in the 80s most areas today, we're closer to summer than winter. If you're below about 2500 ft, hang it up. May not even get another freeze.

Finally, the voice of reason.

That's crazy talk right there.  Maybe down in equatorial SC and GA that might be true, but I'd say the chances of another freeze in Hickory, NC, before the end of April are about 95%.  (That's a totally subjective probability, BTW, and I'm only going off of memory and past experience, which do have value, however limited.  It's after midnight, after all.  I'm not going to go look up statistics.)

Nevermind.  I just looked it up.  I couldn't resist.

According to the NCSU Cooperative Extension, the mean date of the last frost in Hickory, NC, is April 8, with a standard deviation of 11 days.  If we assume dates of the last frost are normally distributed, then according to the empirical rule, approximately 95% of all last frosts in Hickory, NC, occur between March 18 and April 30.

I rest my case.

(Yes, I realize that frosts and freezes are not the exact same thing, but I think it will work as a good approximation in this case.)

That's crazy talk right there. Maybe down in equatorial SC and GA that might be true, but I'd say the chances of another freeze in Hickory, NC, before the end of April are about 95%. (That's a totally subjective probability, BTW, and I'm only going off of memory and past experience, which do have value, however limited. It's after midnight, after all. I'm not going to go look up statistics.)

Well if you notice, I said MAY not get another freeze. And there doesn't look to be freeze over the next ten days or so which puts us up to the final week of March, so I'd say it's a distinct possibility. You'll have a better chance of it in hickory and north of I- 40 than here in the upstate though. Of course I've seen freezes here into late April before, but it just seems mother nature flipped the switch on us. But even if we did get another morning in the upper 20s somewhere, it wouldn't bring back winter. That , my friend, has sadly parted :(

Well if you notice, I said MAY not get another freeze. And there doesn't look to be freeze over the next ten days or so which puts us up to the final week of March, so I'd say it's a distinct possibility. You'll have a better chance of it in hickory and north of I- 40 than here in the upstate though. Of course I've seen freezes here into late April before, but it just seems mother nature flipped the switch on us. But even if we did get another morning in the upper 20s somewhere, it wouldn't bring back winter. That , my friend, has sadly parted :(

Chances of snow are becoming less and less likely as we move farther into March. Things can happen but I think most on here have moved their mindset into the spring season. But frost and freezes are not just possible but probable for many interior SE locations during the next three weeks.  

0z GFS at day ten and beyond looks to get cold.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2015&model_mm=03&model_dd=12&model_init_hh=00&fhour=252&parameter=TMPF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

That's crazy talk right there.  Maybe down in equatorial SC and GA that might be true, but I'd say the chances of another freeze in Hickory, NC, before the end of April are about 95%.  (That's a totally subjective probability, BTW, and I'm only going off of memory and past experience, which do have value, however limited.  It's after midnight, after all.  I'm not going to go look up statistics.)

Leave Ga. out of this, lol.  We don't pay attention to doom and gloom purveyors down here.  We know the weather does what it wants to do, no matter how learned the doom and gloomer :)  I have a very timid wisteria that lost all it's leaves in a recent April hard freeze, and it's shaking when it sprouts new leaves in spring.  T

Models are slowly backing off the cold shot, moderating it a run at a time..  lmao, fail incoming for those wanting some more winter weather.

I apologize for wanting wintry weather, no matter what the calendar might say.  I'm not sure how anything is a fail though.  The models have no control of the weather.

Leave Ga. out of this, lol.  We don't pay attention to doom and gloom purveyors down here.  We know the weather does what it wants to do, no matter how learned the doom and gloomer :)  I have a very timid wisteria that lost all it's leaves in a recent April hard freeze, and it's shaking when it sprouts new leaves in spring.  T

Sorry, Tony.  That was an unfair shot across the bow.  :D

Yeah I have seen about the same.  Forecast for this week was 2-4 inches...so far its been more like  2-4 drops!  Tonight/tomorrow doesn't look all that wet either, IMO.  Just chilly with 38-43 degree temps across North GA tomorrow.  Yuck.

I can't wait for the chilly highs in the 60s to get here! Thes 70s and 80s are too hot! Bring on the arctic blast! These 80s and .12 rain totals , in the last 5 days, are starting the drought off early! :(

Even the Mighty Euro - the King of all models - the model with the highest verification scores year after year is not going to be right every time.  But 60% of the time it's right every time.

80% of the 60% occurs in summer.

Euro predicts hazy hot and humid with a 30% chance of thundershowers.

DAMN!!! IT'S RIGHT AGAIN!!

Archived