e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Fooked!

Ji

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ens run is a disaster d11-15. Mean 850 0c line retreats almost to the pa/ny border. That's a really bad sign when the mean looks like that.

giphy.gif

January thaw...wouldn't be a winter without one especially after coming off a month long December thaw

I should have known the first part of winter was going to suck. I recently did an experiment. I started with some ENSO and then added some PNA. I threw in some QBO along with some EPO. I then added a little WPO.

Next, I stirred in some MJO. I decided to toss in some solar activity. Next came some NAO and of course a large quantity of AO. I added some PDO and a touch of western atlantic water temps. Finally, I topped everything off with some SSW and a heaping portion of Judah Cohen's SAI. Here's what came out:

post-1372-0-35968700-1420060605_thumb.jp

Euro ens run is a disaster d11-15. Mean 850 0c line retreats almost to the pa/ny border. That's a really bad sign when the mean looks like that. 

giphy.gif

Can't look worse...which I guess is good news. The +EPO is a good sign, instead of rain, cold, warm, rain, it will be just warm/rain. Pre-emergent time.

Ensemble trends have been bad the last few days. I'm going to wait until yesterday to cancel the first half of Jan though. 

I've been preaching for awhile 1/15-1/20 was the window we'd likely start really turning it around, I see no changes to that yet, its definitely going to moderate somewhere after 1/8 or so for a week to 10 days.

I couldn't care less what any model shows 11-15 days out. 11 days ago what model was showing snow for LA county and southern NV? We were supposed to be in a relatively "good" pattern for snow here. That verified well. After the upcoming cutter, EPS looks cold, with 850 zero line to our south through 240. Even that is too far out to trust.

I should have known the first part of winter was going to suck. I recently did an experiment. I started with some ENSO and then added some PNA. I threw in some QBO along with some EPO. I then added a little WPO.

Next, I stirred in some MJO. I decided to toss in some solar activity. Next came some NAO and of course a large quantity of AO. I added some PDO and a touch of western atlantic water temps. Finally, I topped everything off with some SSW and a heaping portion of Judah Cohen's SAI. Here's what came out:

attachicon.gif2789ff3b717798b359fb05f933776f9ce97bd9fc89741f9dcc059b4d1aa1da43.jpg

Quote of the year!

One thing id say is I was looking thru old stuff and everyone was freaking out in early Feb last year because pattern was progged to flood with pac warmth. Then it snowed a lot.

Obv it's a bad look but it does snow here every year and we are into climo goodness now or soon depending on location.

I've been preaching for awhile 1/15-1/20 was the window we'd likely start really turning it around, I see no changes to that yet, its definitely going to moderate somewhere after 1/8 or so for a week to 10 days.

I'm going to start preaching that it's going to turn in March and we'll have a 1993 like superstorm.  I see no changes to that yet either.

One thing id say is I was looking thru old stuff and everyone was freaking out in early Feb last year because pattern was progged to flood with pac warmth. Then it snowed a lot.

Obv it's a bad look but it does snow here every year and we are into climo goodness now or soon depending on location.

This is the "fooked" thread.  There is no room for positivity here :santa:

I am optimistic because there is no reason to believe the models in the long range would be correctly capturing any pattern change that might occur. We were all giddy about the prospects for something good after Xmas and through the first few days of Jan about 10 days ago, as the guidance showed the AO going neutral and even slightly negative, and a nice PNA/EPO ridge to overcome an uncooperative Atlantic. What did we end up with? Still a +AO/NAO, but now a -PNA and a lovely SE ridge. SO... now you hear that the QBO and MJO are the culprits, even tho those indices have behaved as expected. Weather is complex and it does what it does and sometimes we analyze things too much. Like Ian said, let climo do its thing. I am sure it will snow some by March.

Unless the ao/nao turn around, it's going be underwhelming in these parts. Prior to xmas, there was meaningful blocking showing up (and justifiable optimism from weenies and pros alike). That actual -ao we just had ended up being 15 minutes long (and useless) and now the progs for for the ao to rocket skywards and remain there for 2 weeks.

Jan is currently at risk for a solid +ao. Until that turns around for real and not 10+ days away, any patten change late month isn't going to help much for our area. Further north doesn't have to worry as much.

Archived